Yoyo CAD & Prototyping Adventures

I don’t think you can do that in Onshape. Is that the right number for the gap width though?

I tried to make a yoyo that looks like an edge.

Specs:
Width: 49.3 mm
Half Weight: 30 g
MMOI:12834
Diameter: 52 mm

Thoughts anyone?

1 Like

A few years ago people said on this thread that the minimum thickness for POM is 2.5mm. Is that still true now or would I be able to push it thinner? FPM only specifies the min thinkness of the aluminums on their site, but annoyingly not any of the other materials like plastics or titanium.

1 Like

Specs:
Width: 48mm
Diameter: 53mm
Half Weight: 31.18g
MMOI: 15000
Body: 7075 Aluminum
Rings: Brass

3 Likes

hi there! i’ve decide to make a yoyo brand.
introducing, PHOBIA - Monophobia

will make a prototype run for this design.
hope it go well and made a production run with it.

Phobia - Monophobia
Width: 50mm
Diameter: 56mm
Half Weight: around 64-66g

thank to this forum i learn alot about designing yoyos.
this yoyo is inspired by YYF edge ultimatum, yoyorecreation acrophobia and savage.

first, here’s the render and section profile.
will update for more.

10 Likes

Looks pretty good! What is the MMOI? And is the Half Weight 64-66 grams or is that the assembled weight?

Thoughts?

Specs:
Width: 53.5 mm
Diameter: 56.5 mm
Rims: 303 Stainless Steel
Half Weight: 31.492 gms
MMOI: 17976

@MarkD I was wondering if you could answer two questions.
Is 3.91875 mm the correct length for an 8mm axle?
Is there a way to tell if this would harmonically vibe?

64-66g is the assembled weight.

it should be around this

1 Like

for 8mm axle you want about 4.1mm on each side, minimum.

2 Likes

@hobbygod
Whenever someone is commissioned to design a yoyo, how much money do they usually make?

This isn’t strictly related to designs but I figured I should ask here. I’m interested in producing small runs of one or two designs, because there are some concepts I’d like to explore that aren’t utilized much on the current market. I’m not interested in starting a company, and these will likely be one-off productions enough to earn back the cost of developing prototypes. How should I go about selling my yoyos? Do I have to make my own website? Is it realistic to get them stocked on one of the major online yoyo stores?

1 Like

I have thought before about producing and selling my designs at a local yo-yo club. Just an idea though.

1 Like

The best place to sell them is where ever you can, be it website, a b/s/t group here or elsewhere, or a store. With stores you have to remember some have quantities they have to meet but most importantly they have margins they have to meet. The problem with your question is that anytime you are trying to sell something you are now in business. So you have to think about it like that. I don’t think there is anything wrong with your idea of trying to sell prototypes or going into production, but you still have to think about it as a business.

1 Like

What does thinking about it as a business entail? Given that my target is simply to break even with the development costs.

1 Like

Thinking about it as business is what you’re talking about, just because you don’t want to make a profit doesn’t mean you’re not in a business. You already have a plan and ideas of what you want to make, that’s step 1. Figuring out who to produce the item and get it produced, is the next step. Then it is marketing and sales of your item, this includes figuring out your costs. If your goal is to break even then the sale price will be cheaper than if you want to turn a profit. It’s not a bad goal, but it’s still business.

1 Like

Lets say you Prototype 5 Yoyos. Prototype Run Costs =$500.00 for a single color anodizing.

Lets say Shipping is $50 to you.

That puts “Your” per unit cost at $110.

If you keep 1 yoyo and sell the rest; You need to sell each yoyo for about $138.00. This does not include any other cost you may incure.

The difficulty would be selling a yoyo at this price from a unheard of “Boutique” entity, especially when your “Competition” can produce in larger quantities and reduce the per unit cost.

Another way you could look is a “Go fund me”. Post your designs and see if others will help you finance a run.

This isnt easy. Good Luck.

5 Likes

Oh I won’t be trying to sell the first prototypes. I’m aware that selling a batch of as few as 5 yoyos won’t be viable, and I actually want to try to keep the pricing competitive. If I do a production run after the protos, it will likely be at least 20 to 30.

2 Likes

The simplest way to sell small quantities of yoyos is in BST posts and arranging sales privately through DMs, you can get paid through paypal, etc. Having a website presence or social media account can be useful but isn’t necessary, strictly speaking.

It is usually not possible to wholesale to retailers unless you have a longer term plan to market and promote the yo-yos so that they don’t become dead stock at the store. For retail you also need to spend more time working on packaging, logos, art, etc. They need something to work with, the product doesn’t speak for itself.

This depends on where you live. There are different rules about reporting expenses/income that you should familiarize yourself with. This can be important during tax filing when you have expenses that you want to deduct. So, you need to keep careful records of your expenses and income specifically related to manufacturing and selling yo-yos.

Note that in the US, you cannot deduct hobby expenses from hobby income. So if you are not running a business with intent to make a profit, you may be surprised that you still have a tax liability from your yo-yo sales.

What you are describing is a business. You should plan it out properly - expenses, marketing, etc.

3 Likes

Depends on the person. Different designers charge different things. Some people want protos, etc

1 Like

What do you charge just for the design process?