Yoyo CAD & Prototyping Adventures

Thanks! Guess I can start with the bst section of this forum then. Seems like actually designing the yoyo will be the least of my worries.

1 Like

it kind of looks like the edge beyond or something from the edge line

For me, there is no flat rate. Each project is quoted based on the customers needs.

Bimetals take more design time than a monometal. Arguably, 7068, SS, and Ti all take more time than a 6061 might. You want side effects? Some weird response pads? Maybe the client wants me to interface with my machinist (or multiple), as well.

There are just too many variables to throw a flat rate out there. My suggestion, reach out and get quotes from multiple designers. Then choose one. This is also a LPT for hiring any type of contracted labor.

4 Likes

Okay, thank you! I’m not planning on commissioning someone to make a design I was just curious.

1 Like

yes. as i said, inspired by YYF edge ultimatum, yoyorecreation acrophobia and savage.

i believe many yoyo out there was inspired by another yoyo and we can find some similar shape and details on some yoyo.

1 Like

Specs:
Width: 48mm
Diameter: 50mm
Half Weight: 30gms
Body: 7075 Aluminum
Rims: Copper
MMOI: 13500

Made this to be a smaller, lighter yoyo than I usually make.
Thoughts anyone?

3 Likes

I rendered some of my older designs in fusion 360. Are these any good?

4 Likes

I would buy that mono.

1 Like

this looks fine, though I’d adjust the rims to have more overlap area (horizontally) with the body to make them stick on better. The part that hangs down into the cup doesn’t do anything for it mechanically, so that can be thinner.

The rim angle is very flat, and while that’s better than actually flat, it doesn’t help the yoyo catch zone much at all.

First one probably needs a larger dimple in the hub to fit a finger - measure your finger (imagine the tip is a circle) and compare to where the landing area is. Many dimples are at least 12mm across (C3 SHXX), some are even larger. Make sure as well that the cone around the dimple isn’t too sharp. The profile shape of this yoyo looks good; the outer rim maybe a tad sharp for my personal tastes.

The red one feels like a nice take on profile set weight rings. The H shape is good - cup feels boring in comparison. But it works.

1 Like

Made the classic organic style yoyo everyone makes. Gold Inner rings. Probably wouldn’t be manufacturable due to the nature of gold being too soft. And it was manufacturable it would be really expensive. Just an idea though.

Specs:
Diameter: 52mm
Half Weight: 31.1gms
Rings: Gold

Thoughts anyone?

4 Likes

reminds me of the Luftverk 000 and Enso UI

1 Like

Anyone care to do a checkup on the dimensions of a throw I designed? I got a local shop who is willing to produce one for free but dont want to waste this chance by having my dimensions wrong? Hit me up in PM if you want to check it out

if you want a gold inner rings, it doesn’t have to be full of gold, you can try using aluminium with gold anodize / gold plating like yoyojam did with phenom (pardon me if i wrong) and still possible to make it real.

1 Like

Good Idea! I don’t know how I would do that in CAD though.

in cad, all you have to do is make the rings out of aluminum, and maybe (although this is optional) also add a small steel ring (like about .005mm in thickness) to them to simulate the .05-.1 g of added weight from gold electroplating. although gold is dense, electroplating only adds a few micrometers, so any added weight is negligible.

2 Likes

Just a practice yoyo I made.
Specs:
Width: 50mm
Diameter: 56mm
Weight: 31.48gms
MMOI: 15925

Thoughts anyone?

P.S. On a completely unrelated sidenote I finally landed 3.0 hook yesterday!

4 Likes

Trimetal Yoyo!

Specs:
Width: 49mm
Diameter: 54mm
Half Weight: 30.9gms
MMOI: 16151
Outer Rings: 303 Stainless Steel
Inner Rings: Brass

Thoughts anyone? Also this is my first fade. Does it look good?

6 Likes

Wow, you’re prolific! I like the look of most of what you’re posting. The green one is nice and shiny. This last one looks interesting, but along the lines of Mark’s comment on the flattish rims on your design in this post, the catch zone seems too flat near the bearing. Yoyos that have flat areas like that seem like they’d be annoying as the string might land there momentarily and then find it’s way off the ledge. Keep it up! Love seeing designs that I can’t actually get even if I wanted to!

2 Likes

I tried to make the Bimetal Styling Wangle but actually bimetal. I was a bit hard to get the dimensions as I don’t own a Wangle and it looks a bit different but here it is. I also don’t think there is enough room for the press fit but I’m not sure.

Specs:
Diameter: 53.5mm
Half Weight: 30.6gms
MMOI: 11389
Body: 6061 Aluminum
Rings: 303 Stainless Steel

I don’t think it turned out that good but it was kind of a joke anyways. Thoughts anyone?

1 Like

i don’t know about a press fit, but one technique i know is that when you heat steel, it grows slightly. so, you make the rings just a few thou smaller than they “should” be, heat them up, and then press fit them. once they cool, they should shrink and then be interference fit on.

1 Like