Yoyo CAD & Prototyping Adventures

yeah, I have several hundred of them so I’ll just have to mess around a bit before printing.

2 Likes

Good luck. Very tricky one to build. Curious how it turns out. Will be a walk the dog machine.

2 Likes

yeah, haha - and if one of the beads break… :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes

time for some titan beads :smile:

3 Likes

Recently, I’ve been trying to figure out how to get rid of the hexagonal indent in 3d printed yoyos to attach the halves together (of course you could use a bought metal response system).

I finally found out one way that might work and would allow the cup of 3d printed yoyos to look better (i.e. flat cup or cup with a point).

If I simply printed a yoyo with a unique cup (such as a sharp point) and while printing it, paused the print and placed a hex nut inside the “hex-hole” in the yoyo and did this on both sides. then you could connect the yoyos together with a threaded rod while still having a good lucking cup. Really simple but I think pretty cool.

1 Like

There are all kind of thread insets you can use. No need to use hex nuts. Here two of my designs without nuts

1 Like

Do you have a pic of the insides of these? What kind did you use?

This is kinda what I was thinking (the negative is that the cup can’t be as deep then.)

Here just an example. The ones I use are hand made by my dad out of 7068.

4 Likes

I used the middle brass insert on these. Works pretty well.

7 Likes

Do you use the ones your Dad makes as a bearing post too?

1 Like

What did you use as a bearing post here or did you simply just put the metal inserts in and screw the halves together?

1 Like

No I just use them a female thread. I just pref the 7068 since they weigh less which gives me all freedom with the weight distribution. I know just minimal but you know nerd stuff extrem :joy:

2 Likes

What do you use as a bearing post with yours Kray?

1 Like

The insert just so happens to be the correct size for a bearing post. It’s a tiny bit on the loose side, but it works. I really need to use a washer or something for a bearing seat though as printed plastic is fairly soft. The inserts I used are found in a variety pack on Amazon.

1 Like

I tried many things. All have pros and cons. Did you check the TP M4s with post as part of the screw itself?

1 Like

fLight
6061 aluminum, 60.25 grams, 48.6 mm diameter, 52.6 mm diameter

fLite
POM with aluminum hub, 60.5 grams, 48.7 mm width, 52.6 mm diameter

4 Likes

U.F.O
6061 aluminum with bronze weight rings, 65 grams,16.2 mm width, 56.3 mm diameter

8 Likes

I’ve decided to make a new yoyo from the ground up, the guts is a bit challenging but finally I get the right measurements with the help from FPM.

4 Likes

After 4 years of practice designing yoyos I can actually decode this image!

4 Likes

Haha yep its the GUTS!
Not gonna lie doing it from the scratch is indeed challenging but the end result is very rewarding, I’m always relying on the gut template from yoyo designers fb group but making it is way better.

1 Like