Yoyo CAD & Prototyping Adventures

yeah, I have several hundred of them so I’ll just have to mess around a bit before printing.

2 Likes

Good luck. Very tricky one to build. Curious how it turns out. Will be a walk the dog machine.

2 Likes

yeah, haha - and if one of the beads break… :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes

time for some titan beads :smile:

3 Likes

Recently, I’ve been trying to figure out how to get rid of the hexagonal indent in 3d printed yoyos to attach the halves together (of course you could use a bought metal response system).

I finally found out one way that might work and would allow the cup of 3d printed yoyos to look better (i.e. flat cup or cup with a point).

If I simply printed a yoyo with a unique cup (such as a sharp point) and while printing it, paused the print and placed a hex nut inside the “hex-hole” in the yoyo and did this on both sides. then you could connect the yoyos together with a threaded rod while still having a good lucking cup. Really simple but I think pretty cool.

1 Like

There are all kind of thread insets you can use. No need to use hex nuts. Here two of my designs without nuts

1 Like

Do you have a pic of the insides of these? What kind did you use?

This is kinda what I was thinking (the negative is that the cup can’t be as deep then.)

Here just an example. The ones I use are hand made by my dad out of 7068.

3 Likes

I used the middle brass insert on these. Works pretty well.

6 Likes

Do you use the ones your Dad makes as a bearing post too?

1 Like

What did you use as a bearing post here or did you simply just put the metal inserts in and screw the halves together?

1 Like

No I just use them a female thread. I just pref the 7068 since they weigh less which gives me all freedom with the weight distribution. I know just minimal but you know nerd stuff extrem :joy:

2 Likes

What do you use as a bearing post with yours Kray?

The insert just so happens to be the correct size for a bearing post. It’s a tiny bit on the loose side, but it works. I really need to use a washer or something for a bearing seat though as printed plastic is fairly soft. The inserts I used are found in a variety pack on Amazon.

1 Like

I tried many things. All have pros and cons. Did you check the TP M4s with post as part of the screw itself?

1 Like

fLight
6061 aluminum, 60.25 grams, 48.6 mm diameter, 52.6 mm diameter

fLite
POM with aluminum hub, 60.5 grams, 48.7 mm width, 52.6 mm diameter

3 Likes

U.F.O
6061 aluminum with bronze weight rings, 65 grams,16.2 mm width, 56.3 mm diameter

4 Likes