Yoyo CAD & Prototyping Adventures

I had one, it played fine, but then that was before total vibe purity was imposed.

3 Likes

The protos were better. There were ones with speeder rims that actually played pretty well

1 Like

I am posting a big thank you to the forum, Patric Dressel and Eric Plantier for the help in the realization of my first throw the Org-1 it has been worth the wait. Thank you to all of you.
The Green throw is called an Org-1 a prototype I have worked on with Dressel Designs ( Patric Dressel ) for cad drawings and Eric Plantier ( fatguysnaks247, FSYB & FairTrade YoYos ) for production and dealing with manufacturers and shipping. Big thank you to them both willing ness to work for an average thrower and collector. Going to work with them both again would recommend them to anyone they are great.

8 Likes

I proto-typed these on a South Bend lathe in my garage in the early 90s.
Took me about a month to get it to CNC 1st production run.
I just did it fooling around at first. I had NO machine shop
experience, just made a few until they worked.
They are in 3 sizes, 5 colors and 3 styles.
Solid(for laser engraving), 4 hole, & 8 hole.
They weigh about the same as a Yomega’s old Raider.
(I used to work there.)
The roller bearing was a sealed aircraft grade bearing with an extending center race, requiring no caps or spacers.
I called them Joyos because my name is Joe, lol.
I just moved cross country and I haven’t found the rest of them to photograph yet, but will when I find them.

19 Likes

Why is this design not on the market yet? This is the stuff I dream about in a yoyo!!!

Me too - I have 2 full production runs to finish up before I can order the Spyglass! Still working through potential tweaks, also.

6 Likes

I cannot wait! I wanna pre order one!

Hey guys I recently been want to design and manufacture my own yoyo. I’ve got a CNC mill that I can use. I am using Onshape to design the yoyo. Is there a standard for the “guts” and I’m trying to think of solutions on how the use the CNC mill to cnc both sides of the yoyo

1 Like

A mill isn’t really ideal, but you can read this thread about how someone else attempted to do this:

You can measure the bearing seat of a yoyo you own to create the drawing in your designs. There’s many ways to approach the guts/yoyo design, I talk about one method here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krm_Jlv9g-c

There are several other videos on my channel that may interest you.

First of all though, I’d start with this video:

3 Likes

Thank you, but I’ve already seen that video. I will check out your YouTube channel. I’ll try to keep the thread updated with more finalized designs down the road

Practice design with titanium rims. Seems promising, i’ll have to sketch up a steel version for comparison.

13 Likes

Thoughts

7 Likes

Looks cool. What are the dimensions?

Profile looks good to me!

@TheThrowingGnome
Specs:
Material: 6061 Aluminum
Width: 50.8 mm
Weight: 63 grams
Diameter: 57 mm

1 Like

6 Likes

How do you apply materials to individual faces?

2 Likes

Seem to recall in Fusion 360 you can select material type then apply to faces by selecting them. Or maybe it was select faces first then apply the material. Can’t remember, but know I was able to figure it out after playing around a bit.

Here some fun stuff. My first fully programmed yoyo. Was pretty easy actually.

7 Likes

absolutely fascinating discussion and of which I, unfortunately, have no skills.
if I can ask a courtesy to you guys who are familiar with 3D drawing software, is it possible to know the total surface of a cup of a medium-sized yoyo?
I need to have an idea if my estimate, to calculate the current amperage for anodizing was more or less correct.
Thank you very much and good luck and much satisfaction!

3 Likes