Yoyo CAD & Prototyping Adventures

U start throwing everything in one pot. Rendering has nothing todo with modeling. You can export models from every modeler and render it with basically every renderer.

You can use side effects to get away from the threads or simply use nuts as Jeffrey does in his models.

I get that, it’s neat to generate these super realistic renders though. Some I see from @Palli and @MarkD it’s almost impossible to tell if it’s real or not. Just curious if there was one program in particular that excelled at this.

1 Like

Blender is free and is made to make high quality pictures/movies. But it’s Modeling is catered toward games and movies. It is a organic process and has no constrain system as CAD tools do.
I use blender a lot because of my game dev job. But I would not recommend it for your 3D print journey.

But again to get this right u can plug basically every renderer into your pipeline. So no need to decide your modeler on the render results. And there a lot of different renders and 3D tools todo pure visualization easily.
Blender itself comes with three different renders.
Legacy, Cycles and Eve

2 Likes

Yes, though i’m not practiced in that at all. I’m not sure how nice it is but I know there are several assembly workbenches available.

Blender is far superior to any of the built in CAD rendering tools. I use the Cycles raytracer in blender for my recent stuff.

1 Like

In the past I avoided the whole axle threading issue by designing my prototypes to use One Drop Side Effects. But since I don’t intend to make any yoyos for actual production, the design dependence on SEs is not really an issue.

1 Like

Apparently with carbon fiber filament printing threads is possible! Just have to spend 180$ per roll on filament…

Try it and we will see…

1 Like

I’ve printed a yoyo with threads built right in using Onyx. It worked out great, the version we printed used the Luftverk spacer kit, but no nyloc nuts, just the 20mm axel and bearing seat. My only complaint I can come up with is the gap is too narrow, but thats a function of the bearing seat from the spacer kit.

9 Likes

Part 3!

Next one will be about Blender, and later I’ll go back through the CAD files to polish them up for export + prototyping.

8 Likes

Part 4. Ever wondered how I make nice renders these days?

So, next video is probably going to be a mix of stuff…

1. Cleaning up the CAD file for export
  2. Picking a colorway to use for prototyping
  3. Typing up the specs and details for a machine shop
  4. Ordering prototypes??

Here are the yoyo specs, as determined by FreeCAD + my yoyo macro:

============ ASSEMBLED YOYO ============
     Half:     30.49 g
Assembled:     63.77 g
     MMoI:  14809.12,      0.00,     -0.00
                0.00,   8033.00,      0.00
               -0.00,      0.00,   8033.00

44mm wide
53mm diameter
4.45mm gap
C bearing
8mm axle
7075 body + Steel rings
Rings are approx. 11.5g

If anyone has any thoughts or feedback about this design, I’d love to hear it since I want to involve the community a bit more than my last couple pieces.

11 Likes

Hi I’m new to this forum I found out about this thread and wanted to share a design I made.

The yoyo is 63 grams, 55mm diameter, 56mm wide, 6061 aluminum, C bearing, and 10mm axle.
Any feedback would be appreciated. :slight_smile:

9 Likes

It looks like the center of the cup isn’t quite at the x-axis, so there’s a little hole

1 Like

Welcome! Honestly… that looks like the same as 20 other yoyos that came out in the last year. Might be better to just buy one already made and ano’d. Or maybe try tweaking the design a little- or dont. What do I know really :laughing:

Random thought… has anyone made a wood yoyo with metal rims?

2 Likes

I was wondering the same thing recently. I came across the Yoyo Jam Jamboo, which is wood/metal hybrid.

6 Likes

That’s cool~ wonder how it plays

3 Likes

It doesn’t play good

4 Likes

I wish I knew. :upside_down_face: This yoyo is very intriguing to me.

1 Like

Feel like it would vibe a lot… Maybe MDF carved with CNC would be better…

2 Likes

I agree with Mr Dressel
I had ( had ) one it catches the eye but that is about it, it vibrated itself apart violently and quickly.

2 Likes