Yoyo CAD & Prototyping Adventures

Yeah that looks fancy. Very cool

Thanks. Now I’m just nervous about how it will perform.

It reminds me of an X3 stampede crossed with an UNPRLD Abduction

3 Likes

Right very good comparison

2 Likes

My current design I am printing right now…

0001-0120

13 Likes

https://harrison-lee.medium.com/designing-a-competition-grade-yo-yo-634307a7d4ec

Here is a great article to read, by Harrison Lee of CLYW, about the design of his upcoming signature yoyo, the Otter.

9 Likes

Working on a video series. I’ll be re-designing a yoyo idea I’ve had in my head, working mostly from scratch, and showing (hopefully) the entire process from concept, CAD and product visualization, and eventually prototyping and production.

12 Likes

Part one. This one is all on paper.

12 Likes

The fact that you drew it out on paper is really cool

6 Likes

Part 2 is up!

Transferring the paper drawing to FreeCAD, starting with the “monometal” outline of this bimetal yoyo.

10 Likes

Super cool video Mark! Thanks for sharing!!!
Can you possibly show how you model the threads for the axle in Free CAD in your next tutorial?

How have you found Free CAD as compared to Fusion 360?

1 Like

How did this print turn out? How did it play? I don’t recall seeing pics of the finished piece.

I don’t typically model them for yoyo designs, because from my standpoint all I need to do is pick a size of axle, but I can cover it in a short addendum video after I find a method that works well for me.

2 Likes

Fusion 360 is definitely the way more advanced tool. But FreeCAD is able todo the job for free. So up to you what u wanna use.
Tutorials on threads exist a ton e.g. (Be aware in 3D printing you will not be able to print yoyo threads (M4) in a good enough quality. Just make a 4mm hole and screw them in)

3 Likes

It played sh*t… Since the string gets caught on the small edges.

This one I play a lot. Very good player imo

1 Like

It’s much more free, and the several weaknesses it had I’ve been able to shore up by writing a couple macros for it, and using Blender for product visualization instead of the CAD tools.

4 Likes

Can FreeCAD do part assemblies to model moving parts and such if I intend on designing mechanical parts with moving pieces as well as yo-yos?

My first run through the render on Fusion I was not impressed. The renders Mark is showing from Blender look much better. I’m sure there are some advanced techniques to render in in Fusion360 that I don’t know yet. (Pic of first Render below)

Wow, ok! Been through many tutorials on threads for other ideas, but didn’t realize I wouldn’t need them for 3D printed yo-yos. I guess after you “thread” the hole with an M4 axle then you’ve created the threads right?!? Do you find you can unscrew and rescrew the axle and it’ll follow the same path once you “thread” it manually the first time or is it more like set it and leave it thing?

2 Likes

Yeah your Blender renders look great! Seems like they look better than what I’m seeing in Fusion 360. Would you agree?

1 Like

Ha! Yeah, I was wondering about that! Great concept though!