Yoyo CAD & Prototyping Adventures

I’d buy it.

I’ve always been curious of the effect of air resistance as a part of float, intuition says it shouldn’t matter that much but I don’t really have a basis for that claim.
I also feel like a lot of it might have to do with perception and expectations of how designs should perform. It ends up meaning different things to different people.

I think this could be quantified pretty well with some simulations, probably some FEA and CFD but I have no experience in either lol.

You should check out his thread about the Triple Point:

1 Like

What do you guys think of this one? Wanted to design a yoyo that could theoretically bridge the gap between competition throws and unresponsive slimlines/oldschool style throws, with a nice edge-like SS ring. This design is 58x38mm with a 4.35 gap, weighing in at 60 grams using 7075 aluminum. Nickname’d Mewtwo for now because of the colorway and the pokeball-esque hub.mewtwo2 mewtwo1

7 Likes

That looks pretty sweet, there is not enough organic highwalled slimline bi-metals in the market place with a finger spin cup, sign me up.

1 Like

Sorry to burst your bubble, but that ain’t a fingerspin cup :sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile: sorry friend.

My bad, recessed pull start dimple

1 Like

Its not a fingerspin hub! The picture kinda fools you tho. Here’s the cross section

Edit: honestly could probably add a fingerspin tho without much issue.

5 Likes

Something I designed about a month or so ago for a friend/client got created last night. Its cool to see actual pictures of something you’ve designed and not just renders. He’ll be sending one to me when he gets one, so I’ll share how it plays with all of you when it gets here :slight_smile:

Fingers crossed ill be able to make a similar post about the 5050 next week :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Tweaked this thing from a while back. Lightweight and a bit compact compared to my usual stuff.

Here’s some silly stuff. Playing around with very thin polished steel rings as an aesthetic thing rather than for rim weight.

14 Likes

Looks like it would still fingerspin really well to me even without the “centering” effect.

2 Likes

Cross section and final look of my Freyja which is being made right now :slight_smile:

15 Likes

You’re really picking up the pace.

2 Likes

Looks good. Love the shape of the cutaway and how efficient the design is.

3 Likes

Looks amazing! People on this forum amaze me sometimes.

4 Likes

thank you!

2 Likes

First yoyo design. Based it mostly off the basecamp expedition. Let me know what you think.

3 Likes

It looks like a pretty close rendition. What are the main differences between it and the Expedition?

I actually wasn’t going for many differences but I would say the biggest difference is the cup. I just made a few tweaks to adjust the weight distribution. Here is the outline view. (Edit) I forgot to mention it is 7075 aluminum and the diameter is around 55.5mm and the width will be around 47.7

1 Like

My machinist sent me this photo:

15 Likes