Yoyo CAD & Prototyping Adventures

I found a machining company on
Alibaba.com
Which is kind of a marketplace for manufactures.
I am currently working with a company called “Shenzhen Tuofa Technology Co.”

The rates are similar to the ones quoted by fpm.

4 Likes

pink-blue-fade

Used photoshop to mock up a color fade. Decided to stick with the smoother round outer rims in the catch zone.

5 Likes

Finalizing my design to send to FPM - their 19mm pads are 1.2mm thick, and I only had a 1mm recess in that area (from a bearing seat file I got from smashing yoyos). I saw on Zack Lerner’s video that he had a 1.3mm recess for pads.

Magicyoyo’s pads are listed as 19 OD * 14.2 ID * 1.15mm thick.

Now I gotta go home and measure some of the pads I have. I guess they aren’t quite as standardized as I thought.

I also had the notion that I should get a laser engraving in the inner rim. Time to learn illustrator, I guess?

4 Likes

Tell me about it

4 Likes

Haha yeah, it’s wild.

I just measured some buddah R pads I had and they are also ~1.2mm deep so that’s where I’m headed.

3 Likes

Be sure to update the other topic with what you find; it’s crazy there isn’t more solid info out there on this.

WE MUST CONFER THIS KNOWLEDGE TO FUTURE GENERATIONS :baby:

7 Likes

And tell future generations to standardize the current “standard”.

3 Likes

I recently received a prototype run of a yoyo I’ve been working on :blush: IMG_3427 IMG_3426 IMG_3428

19 Likes

Looks cool! What are the specs?

3 Likes

WOTHY!!! Haven’t seen you around here for ages, mate!

3 Likes

Life has been busy but I’ve missed this place so much! I’m going to try my best to get on here more often :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Gap width: 4.34mm
Width:41.85mm
Diameter:55.47mm
Weight:68g
7075 aluminum
I’m loving the yoyo so far :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Looks like it would play super smooth!

2 Likes

It plays amazingly well :blush: It was designed to be a jack of all trades and master of none: not focused on just speed, rim weight, fingerspins, or anything in particular, but simply good all around yoyo :slight_smile:

5 Likes

That is an excellent concept to realise. You would think this would render something mediocre, but it results in a satisfying and dependable yoyo.

Others in a similar vein are the Shutter and the Japan Technology Fireal.

4 Likes

It sounds like you nailed the design. I love the clean design of the cup.

3 Likes

Thank you!

2 Likes

Getting closer with mine. Here’s the fade I’m planning, plus an engraving.

diffraction-engraving

4 Likes

It’ll look a lot better without the engraved lines, just the name.

3 Likes

diffraction-less-lines

Like this? It’s definitely cleaner.

6 Likes