Yoyo CAD & Prototyping Adventures

That would do.

3 Likes

Made some revisions to this design, for now it’s called the “Two Step”. Most of the changes are inside the cup - the indentations have angles instead of steep walls, and the rim has more work done to it.
TwoStep%20Cup

The catch-zone area of the rim has a lot of options, though. I added an indented ring where it transitions from inverse to round, similar to designs like the CLYW Compass. I also had some ideas for the round part.

Here there is a round part, with a flat part right near the edge.
Some%20Angles

This version is fully round. It’s simple, at least?
No%20Angles

This version is all angles! It’s probably a bit too much. I had been playing with an UNPRLD Abduction all day.
All%20Angles

All of these are around 63.5g assembled, 46mm width, 56mm diameter, 8mm axle. The body material is 7075 Aluminum.

I feel like I want to make 100 tweaks before I get this prototyped (just a one-off run).

10 Likes

Here is another yoyo I started making. I had the intention of making a fun O shaped yoyo, but it evolved to try to become a little more competition friendly.

Specs:
Width: 46.6mm
Weight: 64.8g
Material: 6061
Size C Bearing
19mm Response
8mm Axle
Diameter: 56mm

Fun%20Yoyo%20Half Fun%20Yoyo%20Side Fun%20Yoyo%20Full

10 Likes

I like the middle shape best. It has nice curves and looks the most appealing. The other two are just a little too angular, but that is just my opinion

4 Likes

The gap round one reminds me a bit of the silenus/meta shape:
Silenus

I think it might make sense in yours to smooth out the transition from the response bump to the inverse-round section, it really sticks out to me. The cup looks decent, though if you’re going to have an axle nub I think it’s worth trying to really make it really special/unique.

6 Likes

Thanks! Do you like the little ridge-cut between the curved parts? It used to be just a sharp corner, but I’ve seen this little cut on a LOT of yoyos and it looks pretty nice imo

3 Likes

Yes, it is one of my favorite small designs on Yoyos.

2 Likes

I rounded off the transition. And how dare you insult my axle nub. I have zero creativity.:joy: I see what you mean, but that has always been my favorite kind of axle nub. (That whole me being insulted was a joke btw).Fun%20Yoyo%20Half2

4 Likes

Got it, if that’s your favorite then no reason not to have it there! You might want to use a soft-lighting environment in your renders to make it easier to see, though.

Are you planning on having any of these prototyped?

3 Likes

Whoops about the lighting. Could you give me a screenshot of your Render settings in Fusion 360? And I would love to have my unnamed blue yoyo and Monometal Wildcat prototyped, but I just don’t have the money. Actually, how much would it cost?

3 Likes

It’s in scene settings:

2018-08-17%2018_17_44-Window

Choose “Soft Light” and it’ll make the renders a lot less harsh for metallic materials.

2018-08-17%2018_18_08-Window

FPM quoted me ~$450 shipped for 5x of one of my designs in 7075. Additional quantities are cheaper per piece but not by a whole lot for prototype-sized amounts. They’re apparently one of the top yoyo machinists in the world - look up the Yoyofriends Hummingbird and Magpie for examples of their in-house designs.

You can also go through their US-based contact: http://www.mythrow.co/

8 Likes

Quite a while ago I jumped into the design field myself. I watched that same video by Zach Lerner, and designed a yoyo with no further knowledge.

here I present:

“The Exponent”

yoyo_cut

yoyo_profile

yoyo_side

yoyo

Specs

Diameter : 55mm

Width : 45mm

Mass : 64g

Material : AI 7075

Axle : 10mm M4-0.7

:

This yoyo draws great inspiration from popular designs like the G2 Banshee, YYF ND etc. The Exponent plays very stable and floaty, With a wide shape for great catchability.

I started with the design of a Banshee. I’ve always felt the final production banshee was too slim, and to large in diameter, so I streached the outer rims making the profile wider and the rims much thicker, giving it a more “solid” feel. And I shrunk the diameter by a little more than 1mm, for my love of under/midsized yoyos.

Next, I lowered the walls next to the response, because I have a somewhat aggressive playstyle, that makes higher walled yoyos tilt unintentionally. I also make the response size more standard to further reduce tilt, and make response options more open.

with a-lot of fine tuning I got a yoyo I was in love with. It was truly something of my own.

If you would like to try it. I go to the spindoctors yoyo club almost every month.

you can find more info here :

http://yoyo.wikia.com/wiki/Spin_Doctors_Yo-Yo_Club

9 Likes

This is awesome. The result sounds wonderful!

You don’t see too many clear ano colorways, either.

3 Likes

A new design of mine. It has a press fit steel hub to prevent the axle from stripping. I dub it the Butcher Bird.

Butcher%20Bird%20A-1%20cup Butcher%20Bird%20A-1%20orthog Butcher%20Bird%20A-1%20Xsection Butcher%20Bird%20A-1%20profile

Diameter: 54.2mm
Width: 46mm
Weight (estimate): 65g
Material: 7075 Al
Axle: M4x0.7 12mm
Bearing size: C
Response: 19mm

7 Likes

That shape is really cool. It reminds me of the YYF Marco.
from the looks of that press fit hub. it isn’t connected to the cup in any way. meaning when the yoyo is assembled you can pull on the cups and they would pop right off.
(the hubs, bearing, and axle would stay together)

you wouldn’t want that to happen when it is spinning.

1 Like

Edited my design. Taper is more secure.
Butcher%20Bird%20A-1%20Xsection

4 Likes

Where did you get it machined?

2 Likes

Why is prototyping so expensive?

3 Likes

There are a lot of setup costs - a machinist has to program the tool path, and someone needs to man the machine at the start + end of the run.

3 Likes

That’s why machining is less expensive if you order more pieces.

3 Likes