Yoyo CAD & Prototyping Adventures

Played with it earlier yesterday, still a top 3 hands down

4 Likes

Trying to make a good shape/hub. I’ll fix the gap later!!

7 Likes

Hang on

I never knew iYoyo used side effect style hubs

1 Like

Not really side effects, those are distinct for the taper and o ring. Most (all?) delrin yoyos have separate hubs like this.

2 Likes

Wow

I clearly am very new to Delrin throws

1 Like

I’ll open all mine and post photos of their hubs/guts later, they’re each a little bit different!

3 Likes

Man that’s sharp!!! What are the specs!? I love the organic h-ish shaped yo-yos

3 Likes

It’s 56dia x 45wdh and some 66.4 grams.

3 Likes

Hey Guys, a warning to everyone in this channel working with Manufacturers in China using paypal as a method of payment.

Ive reported this also in the Yoyo Designers Facebook group but wanted to do so here as well as I know a lot of people here are also in touch with Chinese manufacturers for their prototypes and first runs.

Myself and one of my machine shops discovered last week an email account phishing hack. This hack inserted fake but very similar email accounts between myself and my machine shop, with the aim of diverting funds I was planning to sending to pay for a production run. Switching out the machine shops legit paypal account to an alternative paypal fraudster email account.

They appear to have done this by working out my company email and that of my machinist and then sending us each social phishing messages posing as the other party. They succeeded to the extent that for a couple of days messages intended for my machinist and from my machinist back to me we’re actually going via this fraudster.

This fraudster then doctored emails and invoice documents from the machinist to divert paypal funds to a new account:

Galen@texas.com.hk
Do not under any circumstances send funds to this paypal account.

Always double-check that the email address of your intended recipient is 100% character for character accurate. There was only one letter different in the email addresses myself and my machinist received. It appeared so legit that and it was only caught when I questioned the change of paypal account on a messaging app rather than email that we noticed the edits by comparing screenshots of the emails the machinist sent and the ones I received. Crisis averted for me, but do not get caught out.

Some take aways:

• Always check the paypal address matches what you expect from the recipient.
  • Always have a secondary method of communication to verify comms, facebook messenger, wechat, whatsapp, SMS etc…
  • Always check the email of the recipient is an exact match to expectations.
  • If using Paypal- always use goods & services. This would provide buyer protection against this type of fraud.

Be safe out there.

12 Likes

Perfection!!

2 Likes

welp…
This is getting 3d printed tomorrow. The seat is for a ProYo wooden fixed axle.

7 Likes

Good luck! I hope it turns out great!

1 Like

My expectations are low, but I think it’ll be fun regardless!

2 Likes

@adamantiumpops I want updates!

Also, everyone, I consulted @Glenacius_K about a concept idea of bi material between wood and acetal. The only downside is looks (according to Glen), and the necessary skill for spin-ability. The idea is up for exploratory grabs. Thanks to both the materials having not too outrageous heat coefficients, the press fit convention would be temperature based (pretty common thing). I’m no wood or acetal expert, so I don’t know which would be better, but the idea was either heat the plastic for expansion, or chill the wood for contraction then slide it together and wait until the magic happens. (brown = wood, gray = acetal, arrow = press ledge)

wa_bimat2

This guy is like 44 g using wood density of .6 g/cc. I don’t know if that’s normal

3 Likes

Looks cool! I would be very interested in a throw like that.

As far as updates go, I am in queue on a friend’s printer. She got actual paying orders in yesterday so I can’t be mad (even though I want to be!) lol.

2 Likes

If you were going to do bi-material with wood, why not use metal rims? Also for this design, you’d want the interference area for the press fit to be longer - probably at least 3/4 the width of the rim. It looks just under 1/2 here.

1 Like

@MarkD The reason was mostly just to branch off from metal. From my understanding, you’d need less special equipment to turn both those materials. Not that it’d outperform metals, but it’d combine what people love about wood, with what people love about Delrin. Good note about the interference, I wouldn’t recommend anyone copy that exactly and try and make it.

1 Like

Gotcha, that makes sense to try it then.

If you want more feedback on the CAD think a better way to press them together is to use a jig rather than including a ledge on the wooden part. Or at least angle the shelf up to meet the rim instead of having another flat part there.

2 Likes

So, today I designed a plastic organic. The Organiplastic. (Terrible name)

61 ish grams

Can’t wait to see the result!

2 Likes

What does it look like?

1 Like