Yoyo CAD & Prototyping Adventures

Then select the body and the plane you want to mirror it over.

3 Likes

Stealing my trash can design? Nice

4 Likes

The trash can wants to be free…

2 Likes

Pretty sure the similarity stops after the first two steps(which Puffin3 had) :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I’ll bring it to eyyc, we can compare

If I get it made before then :stuck_out_tongue:

You can have a go at my pos at least lol

1 Like

wish i was cad smart enough to do this stuff, super cool.

You can do it. I had no experience with CAD. Only considered trying it because of yoyos. Shifting to Fusion 360 from a more simple software. I can’t believe i’m willing to watch a 20-minute long video just to learn more about Fusion 360.

5 Likes

That sounds pretty cool! How much for fusion 360?

2 Likes

You can get a free trial. I used a student license for mine.

2 Likes

My first bimetal design

received_247260116211313 received_572790373132441 received_2394057524214186

8 Likes

Looks good!

1 Like

It is called a “Startup License” you are allowed to use the program for free even if you are making money off of your designs until your business starts making 100,000+ dollars a year, so if you want to sell your yoyos after learning CAD, then you still can.

4 Likes

Just curious, did anyone else have trouble downloading Fusion 360 because it wasn’t supported on your computer?

what are some tips when designing a first yoyo?

3 Likes

Don’t make it out of papier-mâché

5 Likes

Make sure it has two halves.

4 Likes

I have it running on both a windows PC and on a Macbook. What system do you have where it’s saying it isn’t supported?

Design lots of yoyos, post them somewhere to get feedback, and then iterate based on that feedback. With the right amount of work you’ll get good enough to end up with designs that you really like, and that other folks might like, too.

When I was starting out (and even today) I make a lot of “clone” designs where I pick some yoyo I like or that looks cool, and then I clone it in some CAD software to the best of my ability. It’s a great way to pick up & practice techniques.

Also, here’s some general design advice:

• Leave the walls thick enough for the material (1.5mm for 6061 aluminum)
  • Don’t start with a bimetal
  • Keep your edges rounded (0.41mm fillet in most cases, or higher)
  • Don’t make the wall of the yoyo too low
  • Have a goal for your design (is it a new shape idea? a specific weight distribution? is it particularly durable? will it be a cool colorway? a callback to an older design? two famous yoyos smashed together? a doorknob?)
  • Get lots of feedback from other people while you’re starting out
8 Likes

Here’s the message I keep getting,Your operating system is not supported. Fusion 360 is supported on 64-bit Windows 7 or newer and 64-bit Mac OS X 10.12 or newer. I have OS X Yosemite 10.10.5 on a Mac, I’ve tried to update the computer but it won’t take any more updates. So are there any other free CAD softwares anyone recommends for yoyo design?

1 Like