Yoyo Boomers Club

OK, Boomers. How many of you here are Makers? How many of you mod yo-yos, print cool accessories for throws, or even hand-make yo-yo related items?

I’ve had an idea tumbling around in my head, and I’d love to know how many of you are out there :smiley:

9 Likes

I print silly things (when im not breaking my printer) and mod yoyos sometimes. I imagine there are folks that are better at it than i here but i do puts around tinkering from time to time

3 Likes

I like to make stuff when the time finds me. It’s not too often now with two growing toddlers but it does happen on occasion.

What you got in mind?

2 Likes

I am a maker at heart. I enjoy “Making” things. The only yoyo related Item I have made so far is a Lanyard.

Bottle Opener and “Knife” on the Carabiner. Knife didnt work out as a knife, so I dulled it for a “Knot Pick”

9 Likes

A different sort of yo-yo “team” for Throw-Yo :smiley:

3 Likes

I miss having creativity. I used to love working on creative projects. Can’t say I’ve done anything aside from a single yo-yo sling which soon became an electrical tape sling for my bag.

2 Likes

I have been known to “Mod” a thing or 2. Some here have known me to mod yo-yos but this sort of behavior extends way beyond yo-yos. I have always been a troubleshooter because the way my mind used to work allowed me to easily imagine constructs which allowed me to break down and understand why things worked. This also caused me to imagine ways to “improve” how some things works. I’ve preformed mods on automobiles, electronics of all sorts… I was awarded the nickname of “Tweaker” when I was younger. Not because I was an addict but because I couldn’t leave things untouched. :rofl:
My mods are fairly simple these days though. Brain isn’t the same. There are certainly some on these forums who are doing some insane mods.

3 Likes

I think I qualify…

3 Likes

Friendly Reminder - Unresponsive Pre Orders close tomorrow.

4 Likes

Ugh. Fine. I’m in.

2 Likes

Here are a few Mods I did in the past. My previously 15W Fender tube amp I converted to 30W. Look at those monster power tubes. Anyone who knows about tubes…I converted the power tubes from EL-84 to EL34 or even 6L6 if I adjust the bias. I seriously beefed up the power supply to compensate for the new demand. Also added to the Preamp circuit a few mods in the eq section and upgraded electronic parts. Overall it became a very versatile and usable amp.

Also I did mods on some effects pedals like this one

I’ve applied this obsession to gunsmithing. Here is a WW2 relic from Yugoslavia that I did a slow rust blue to the metal and refinished all of the wood. Hope you all enjoy that.

11 Likes

I make things.

5 Likes

Rob,

When I go grocery shopping, I am very particular as to the shopping cart I select.

If I’m not in a hurry, I go for the gentle wheel vibration - the cart that quietly says “I coming down the isle, excuse me”

If I’m in a hurry, I go for the cart that says "Get the F*** outta my way"

My mod of a YYF 360 involving adjusting pad size, reglueing and using only one pad creating a sound kinda between the two shopping cart sounds. The effort saved a throw from the scrap bin.

I guess we can say it screams “You can’t even pretend that you didn’t hear me throwing down that b**ching trick”

So to answer the question, Yah I’ve dabbled in modding my throws.

5 Likes

you setting up a competitive modding crew here?

1 Like

I’ll share some more info, soon :smiley:

2 Likes

That’s sweet! I’ve had a couple projects like that. My favorite was a 1942 Mosin Nagant that had been preserved in a barrel of cosmoline. Had to completely break it down and mineral spirit soak it and clean every little bit, then sweat as much as I could out of the wood, and blue the barrel. Fun experience though, one of my favorite pew pews!

3 Likes

I bought this one from Samco Global back in early 2000s they had removed the bulk cosmoline but there was still some work that had to be done. It took a long time to get that wood where it would take any stain at all. I wish I had gotten a Nagant back then too. They were $99 at the time.

3 Likes

Speaking of modded throws I just took these pics to show off three different ways I’ve modded the new FH1

8 Likes

I miss my nagant, paid 120 for mine years ago but ended up selling it eventually

3 Likes

This Mauser has put much meat in my freezer.

3 Likes