"Yoyo Boomer"

So I want to find some clarification.
What exactly defines a “Yoyo Boomer”?

I see it often thrown around almost as an insult for anyone who maybe has some old school thinking for yoyos or tricks, but I actually realize there is no definite “age” or year that particularly shows what that is!

I have been called a “Yoyo Boomer” on numerous occasions as I had been throwing since 98, but players like Evan Nagao never get the “yoyo boomer” title thrown at them even though they also had been yoyoing during that era :thinking:

I’ve heard someone reference to someone who had been throwing during the mid 2010’s era of Bombsquad be refered to one as well, and to me that still feels…sort of recent?

So my question to you all, what defines a “Yoyo Boomer” to you? :alarm_clock:

8 Likes

I’ve only heard boomer tech but I am still pretty new. I thought boomer tech was like the tech made up on FH1s 20+ yrs ago and I like those tricks. I do think of wood fixies as grandpa yoyos but that’s like in an endearing and respectful way like I loved my grandpas. Hmmm…

3 Likes

In the same way Boomers were a part the baby boom following WW2, maybe it refers to people that came into the hobby during a yoyo boom like the one in the late 90’s?

Likely, it refers to people that prefer old school style tricks as opposed to whatever the modern meta is. I guess that makes me a yoyo boomer but I really don’t like being put in a box like that. I just like to do my own thing.

I dunno, I think kids just use “boomer” as a blanket term to hate on things older people like.

9 Likes

I think this is kinda backwards. Boomer as a derogatory blanket term is more a term to refer to older generations who are just hating on whatever the younger generation is doing. The people who say “Things were so much better back in the day.”

Regardless it’s a pretty meaningless term since there’s dozens of ways to interpret it and different people use it in different context.

8 Likes

I think this is the real answer lol it seems to go both ways. No one really knows what they’re talking about and are just trying to get a reaction.

3 Likes

“yoyo boomer” is a mindset, not an age group.

6 Likes

so i’ve seen this term basically split into two camps, neither of which have to do with age

the first (the one that I use it for) is that ‘yoyo boomers’ are the people who enjoy older design trends, fawn over yoyos that aren’t considered ‘competitive’ in nature, and tend to describe their yoyos with more personality rather than objective testing. i think this usage is 100% fine and i proudly label myself a yoyo boomer, give me more onedrops.

the second one is what i’m seeing the term ‘yoyo boomer’ gravitate towards which I don’t agree with. which is it being used in a more derogatory nature to describe people who tend to constantly buy yoyos with older design trends or from more boutique companies and then evaluate the performance of these modern yoyos with very outdated tricks. basically “i did skin the gerbil with this yoyo, it’s the best performing yoyo i’ve ever thrown”.

i think it’s less of an age split and more of a competitive yoyoer vs casual yoyoer split though

11 Likes

Here’s some things that come to mind when I hear “yo-yo boomer”:

Older. Probably has a family and a disposable income/hobby budget.

Loves every yo-yo and feels the need to give their thoughts on them but can’t land kwyjibo consistently.

Bad photography/videography.

If they do post trick videos they are never smooth.

“I hate the DNA”

Gear snob.

Probably a member of the g2 patreon.

Threw a bit in the 90s and got back into it during covid. Subsequently bought far too many yo-yos.

Only uses ZipLine strings.

Willing to pay double retail for mfd throws.

Irrational hatred for yo-yos manufactured in china.

15 Likes

To simplify without the jealous tone you’re putting off.

• out of school, likely not a teenager.
  • has disposable income, likes premium yoyos. Might even collect.
  • enjoy sharing and talking about the hobby.
12 Likes

Brooo you made me shivering thinking at a person like that :rofl:

2 Likes

a yo-yo boomer is anyone who thinks the dna is dumb

4 Likes

hey man, theres only like 4 things separating me from that list, i hope i dont scare you!

1 Like

Bran I cant see you in any of those tbh my man!

3 Likes

oh come on its so obvious! LOL

i’m older with disposable income, my trick videos arent smooth, my videography sucks, i’m a gear snob (not just in yoyo, but everywhere lol), I’m a member of the G2 patreon, i even threw a bit in the 90’s and got into it during covid, and 1000% have bought way too many yoyos.

I just dont care for every yoyo, especially MFD, but do enjoy the DNA LOL

7 Likes

Bro that your video, smoothness and photos sucks is such a lie, you have some of the best pics in the game as well and also you are such a good guy, if you are a boomer than you are a sick one for sure!

3 Likes

appreciate you friend, hopefuly its clear but just in case its not: I’m being very tongue-in-cheek here because that particular post with the definition of yoyo boomer made me laugh so hard! still laughing at it cuz its so close to home LOL

4 Likes

Marvel at the self restraint I am exercising by not posting in this thread.

7 Likes

Ascribing boomer labels to everything is lame as hell. and its always derogatory. i’m gen x so no one cares anyway. whatever.

5 Likes

I’m just posting now before this gets crazy, then gets locked or deleted.

3 Likes

This post describes a large chunk of the forum demographic and will likely get flamed a bit, but all of these are EXACTLY what came to mind for me as well and are… pretty accurate lmfao

7 Likes