Yoyo Awards 2023

I was watching a video about smartphone awards and thought it would be fun to create unofficial awards for yoyo releases this year. I definitely have not played every yoyo released this year, but I will list awards for different categories based on my own experience and things that I have read on the forum. I think it would be great for others to also do the same.

Best Organic: Plastic Peak, honorable mention to the one drop wizard, harmonic motion, and next journey.

Best Plastic: Plastic Fulvia, honorable mention to 000 and plastic peak

Yoyo of the year: Klondike, honorable mention Hades, and W!ld

Rookie of the Year (best new company): W1ld

Company of the Year: Everything done by Jeffrey Pang (collabs with clyw and offset, polyform, and luftverk) . Though all the great yoyos he has released this year haven’t been under the same brand, his designs have been some of the most popular and innovative this year.

Best Hybrid: Hybrid Fulvia, honorable mention: anti-mono, Kim 23

Best Monometal: Emotion. honorable mentions: mono pheasant, and next journey

Best Budget: Next Journey. This is a newer, less-hyped release, but for me this is not even close. This may be my favorite yoyo of the year and possibly compete for favorite yoyo of all time. I am still new to this yoyo so we will see if my opinion stays the same, but oh my gosh this is a great yoyo. The price makes this thing an absolute steal. 35-45 dollars depending on the colorway is ridiculous. Everyone should own this yoyo. I might have to get duplicates, and I never do that.

Most innovative: Anti-mono, honorable mention to hades, and luftverk plastics. I chose Anti-mono over the other two because I believe it to be the most likely to start a trend. There is already one yoyo that has followed in its footsteps. More may follow. The Hades is a continuation of the heavy yoyo trend but by far the most popular, and its possible that machine polycarbonate blanks will start a trend but I haven’t seen it yet.

6 Likes

So three warnings to mine. One I limited it to yoyos I own or have gotten to use (not many extra). Two I’m limiting them to releases of 2023, not re-releases. Three I’m going to be very biased :rofl:.

Best Organic: Freehand In Polycarbonate - I got this as a gift and it has been really enjoyable to use and has a great hand feel. I don’t normally go for too many organics so my range is limited here.

Best Plastic: Pleak - Again not likely the best-performing yoyo, but it just brings back memories even if it’s not identical it’s the first remake of the peak to give me the old-school feeling I had when I used a peak.

Yoyo of the year: Save3A Titan

Rookie of the Year (best new company): Save3A is adding countless new players to the 3A community and building a lively discord with all skill levels.

Company of the Year: Mk1 - Great company with so many great hits over the years and this one was no different. On top of that without Mark, my own company would have never been possible or had the great launch it did. He monitors and manages countless discords, keeps people in check while still allowing a lot of freedom, and is always open to helping and giving useful advice. On top of all that I can’t think of many contests he doesn’t support in one way or another if given the chance. Shoutout to Knot Creators as well for allowing the amazing colorway to happen for the Titan.

Best Hybrid: C3 SHFX this thing was just enjoyable to use and had a good feel in the hand. I also have the fulvia but I got a b grade one, then the a grade came and still took tuning to keep it vibeless. I’m not a picky person for vibe so wasn’t a big deal but I worry about the cracking that has happened with a lot of the other releases.

Best Monometal: I don’t buy many moons that are not MYY. I guess for this year it is a turbo grind machine. I enjoy the response system and caps, plays great for a fidget toy or if I want to do real tricks.

Best Budget: Save3A Titan - One of the lowest-priced high-performance bi-metal 3A yoyos on the market.

Most innovative: MK1 Unicorn - Spin top caps and play well with or without caps, It is very fun yoyo that always draws attention.

4 Likes