Yoyo at school

I am in middle school, and bring mine… Basically I do it any split second I’m not being taught, ( during attendance, between classes, etc.) anyway, I think it’s a good idea to bring a yoyo to school… One thing I would suggest though is that if someone asks you to use it DO NOT under all circumstances, let them touch it, chances are they have no experience and will scratch it, ding it, or damage it in another way… The only circumstance I would let someone use mine is if I know the are a really good yo-yoer. But if not for your own sake don’t let them touch it.

I think letting people try my yoyos at school has helped the community. I just make sure to bring a beater our plastic. I know that I have possibly gotten 3 people into yoyoing because I let them try my yoyos at school. I’ve let complete beginners try my avalanche because they wanted to. I’m not afraid of dinging most of my yoyos and the ones I want to keep mint I just don’t take to school.

yeah I tried it at one of my classes when i was doing nothing and I let somebody use it and it hit the ground really hard after that im not letting anybody touch it

Can we please get rid of these quote pyramids? They are annoying to scroll through, and extend the thread too much

No.

I see where you’re coming from but usually people are using them to keep the conversation contextual.

I do try to make efforts to minimize these cascades, but its not always practical.

1 Like

It’s what happens when you get a lot of guys who like to talk a lot.

1 Like

Never yoyo in public with a yoyo that you don’t want people to use.

If you say no you look like a jerk and are preventing someone from entering the yoyo world.

I always carry one Northstar/Protostar/Starlite and that is what I yoyo in public. That plus a yomega that people can use beside me.

Keep my $90+ at home.

1 Like

Gee, I never looked at it that way, that’s a good idea, I got a new yoyo today, so I’ll let people try my butterfly, and keep my newest edition to myself… Good idea, I’ll definitely consider it.

I also agree with you though…

1 Like

Like pretty much everyone here has said, yoyo at school or wherever but make sure you have enough room and it is at a good time. When I was at school two or three years ago I would be on the field and throw during lunch or break mainly for practice not to show off but you’d usually get a nice crowd anyway.

If you know you are somewhere where people not in the know and may ask for a go are try to carry a plastic (e.g. I carry my Kickside or Speedmaker) or looper (e.g. I carry my YYJ Sunsets) maybe so it is easier play with.

If you are approached though when you don’t have a plastic or one you are happy withthem using, try to be as nice about it as you can be and explain that it is expensive and it is hard to use. Give them a good show you know the ‘flash’ tricks and be as nice as possible so they don’t get a bad taste left in their mouth.

Another good idea is bring one or two for you, and one or two for other people to try

I sometimes yoyo at school, but some of my friends do it everyday and no one goes up to them, they just watch. Yoyoing in public and at school is a good practice for contests because there is going to be a lot of spectators there. If someone came up to me and wanted to try my yoyo, I would say this: I can’t let you try this because it is $85, but if you want you could go to yoyoexpert.com and buy a yoyo that is $10.

The thing is i just have one yoyo right now but ill make sure to buy a cheap one sometime soon

Best way to get more people interested in yo-yoing is to do it in public. Go for it! If you’re worried about people using your yo-yo’s keep a cheaper plastic one on you that you wouldn’t have to worry about if it got smacked into the ground or someone decided to walk the dog on some concrete with it.

simple: just don’t bring anything that you care if it gets dinged.
like I wouldn’t let someone try my marmot. but if someone asks and I’m using like a g5 or something, I just say sure. plus it’s usually over tile, which doesn’t really tend to leave very bad dings, if it leaves any at all.

I usually keep my freehand to myself, and let others try out my butterfly(even though it is in probably the worst[working] condition) I let them know that too, and tell them to get a nicer one if they want to start to yoyo

1 Like

i am starting to not yoyo at school there are theives

Just tell them it won’t come back up because it’s “broken”. It works

lol I will and thats what they say anyways and then they feel stupid when I bind it lol

I saw your thread and heard what happens that sucks. When i bring my yoyo i keep it close to me in my pocket at all times so no one messes with it.