Your very own signature throw

How does the Robusta play? I’ve been loving the Dominator.

4 Likes

My dominator like… Rattles when I play with it. Like there’s loose metal on the inside. Weird.

1 Like

You sure it’s not the bearing? Bearings make some weird noises sometimes.

3 Likes

I probably have tinnitus

1 Like

I’d collaborate with @Glenacius_K for the plasteek manning and @twitch77 / @PCaliyoyos (I’m thinking aqua with some hub/edge design or perhaps custom poured blanks?) for the design. See if @AndreBoulay would throw a YYE branding on it. Concave ceramic bearings for the laziness. Pads, again for the lazy, but ship with snow tires for beginners. Flowable seems like a personal, diy sorta thing to me. Perhaps I think I’d go H shape-ish. Served with a sampler pack of various strings made by guys on the forum. Cost between 35-55 bucks. Call it the YYE “forum edition”

I’m thinking about this from the standpoint of someone new to the hobby. It’s difficult to find something that fills the gap between “newb” and “advanced” easily. The current market has a few options that can fill the gap, but I like the idea of a plastic edc, designed by the guys on this forum, to reach new players.

Ship it out with both pictoral instructions and links to Andre’s videos on youtube of each trick on the level 1 and 2 cards of the new YOYO CLUB cards.

I dunno. Seems like a lot of yoyos out there, but maybe a waning/widespread interest. What I mean is that there’s a bunch of guys who want to learn, but who has three or more people in a 25 mile radius who are serious? The price point would ensure seriousness, the quality would ensure ease of learning, the ability to modify, would allow growth.

4 Likes

:+1::+1::+1::+1: hail yeah

3 Likes

this is a really good idea

1 Like

wait are you saying you’d collaborate with @twitch77 and i?
also it’s kind of unclear but if you end up doing this i’d be happy to make some strings for it :wink:

3 Likes

If anyone wants to play around with designs I’m happy to help.

I’m not sure I’d ever be happy with just “one sig” though.

9 Likes

Ba-TiSS-quatch. Stonewashed raw Ti with purple SS rings. Technical design by PDX-Yo and machined at OneDrop.

3 Likes

“one sig” as in making just one of that design?

1 Like

I like having more than one cool yoyo :yo-yo:

3 Likes

i totally agree

1 Like

If you wanna draw up mine that would be cool, just so Id have something to give to neil if/when the time comes. It could be a collab hahaha

8 Likes

Yeah. You and twitch seem to have some good eyes for colorways. Despite the “green” issues… But, with it being produced inexpensively (plastic) and having expensive PARTS (but ordering on bulk could decrease that) , color would likely be mono- with maybe a small design/logo.

Strings would just be a giant bin of all the guys who like to make threads sending in “a grip” apeice. Then grab out 5 or so upon shipping. Throw in some stickers.

Glen could help with design, but I doubt he’d want to make the quantity we’d be talking about. But definitely for the mock ups and prototypes. Eventually, it would have to be injection molded for cost.

Looking at the shapes of metal yoyos and the shapes of “beginner” yoyos, there’s a lot to be improved in the beginner throws.

Again, I’m new at this, I am NOT in the game compared to MOST others here. I’m just spitballing. But the LAST thing needed is another limited edition, titanium, unicorn-horn, hand painted, $300+ yoyo.

3 Likes

yeah lol you making this a reality if Glen is up for it? i’d definitely try to buy it lol

1 Like

I doubt that a few moths of yoyoing experience makes me qualified to turn this into reality. I have no experience with CAD or anything else to design this. Though, @MarkD seems to say that it could be learned quickly enough.

My goal behind it would not be to profit, but to help spread the love of the hobby, not the sport. It is only through hobby that the sport will progress anyway. Much of what I am saying is merely an echo of the “club” idea brought up by @AndreBoulay and others far more knowledgeable than myself.

That being said, if there was an interest on the forum in doing a forum collaboration to produce a better entry-level throw, I’d be fine with spearheading the effort.

Try looking up “best entry level yoyo”. You’ll find a WIDE range of opinions. It would be wonderful to have a definitive “starter kit” for getting into the hobby.

Again, this is all spitballing an idea on a “in your dreams” thread of ONE yoyo site… Hardly enough to start serious planning.

2 Likes

Fortunately for me I already have one in the Arctic Circle II.

I mean, it’s not my signature throw and I had nothing to do with it but I think it’s pretty clear to anyone who sees me play it that it was designed exactly for me.

5 Likes

Anything you would alter in any way for a rerelease?

2 Likes

oh ok i see

1 Like