Your first car

Not even considering getting a license.

In Norway, it takes a lot of time and money to get a license. And adding to that, the tax on owning a car for a year is more than I pay for taking the bus as much as I want for a whole year, and then I have to pay for gas.

Basically, getting a car and a license would eat up a third of my yearly income, and that’s my food-money.

It’s not QUITE that bad here in Canada, Jonas, but it’s getting close.

Problem is, as a nation but also as individual cities/communities, we really space ourselves out. Sometimes the inconvenience of our bus system at the city, provincial, and national levels (in short, EVERY level!) makes the cost of vehicle ownership so much more attractive.

It’s a snake that’s eating its own tail, though. They crank up prices on buses because there are fewer travellers and they need to stay solvent. But then people think, “Wow, buses just got more expensive again? I’m going to keep driving a car.” (or worse, “I’m going to buy my first car instead”)… the cycle will never really end until our buses are either more convenient or less expensive.

My parents said if I keep my grades up like I have them now that they would buy me a Nissan GTR. God Bless - Moefv

I wouldn’t put my money on that, lol.

GregP: Norway’s really similar to Canada when you move a few miles out of the largest cities. I got my license for three years now. My brother, who dont live in Oslo like i do, is 19 and have had three cars. The latest a pretty nice 2006 Audi A4

1 Like

Why not? Both my parent’s cars cost more than the GTR. God Bless - Moefv

The insurance cost of a GTR for a kid in school is going to be crazy high. Who knows though. I know I wouldn’t give a kid a fast car. They would need a very long strait streach to get what ever car I got them up to speeds that could kill them.

True sir very true. Well I guess we will have to see. If I do get it I will post pics. God Bless - Moefv

And hopefully they won’t spoil their child :slight_smile:

I drive a 94 saturn sl-1.

The cool thing about it is I’m a 94 human (born in 1994). Also, it has automatic seat belts. 8)

I’m an only child…

Jesus Moefv, how rich are your parents? Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but GT-Rs are around 100k msrp? For a first car, that’s honestly a terrible decision. That’s way too much car for an inexperienced driver. You’re gonna get it, likely get cocky in it (because let’s face it, it’s a japanese super car), and total it. Then your parents will be out a hundred grand. What I’m pretty sure 99% of people would suggest is to get something cheap and used to start with. Then after you’re more experienced, and after you’ve crashed it, get the super expensive race car.
If you really need to go with a new car, how about a 350 or 370z? About 1/4-1/3 the cost of the gtr, but definitely tons of fun, and more than enough power.

I just got my car a few days ago for $3500. It’s a 99 Miata MX-5. Tons of fun.

I forgot to put the floor mats back in it when I took the pics. Since I’ve took them though, I’ve re-dyed the top so it looks like the factory black, sewn up any worn stitching (and used silicone for something other than yoyos. who knew it has other purposes?) washed and waxed it, and tonight I’m going to be plastidipping the rims. Not sure if I want to do all matte black, or matte black with blue on the outside wall. Still waiting for a few things in the mail, like carbon fiber vinyl for interior trim, a new gear shift boot, a stitch on steering wheel cover, and a usb cigarette lighter.
Also going to order a hard dog m2 sport roll bar for it soon. Eventually if I ever track it, I’ll also put in bucket racing seats, 6 point harnesses, and a new steering wheel.

A few years ago back I invested all the money I had saved up in my lifetime and invested it into Apple stock. My parents say I can’t touch the money, but it can go to college and my first car.

Well, Apple sorta went up 4-7x from when I bought it, so I’m pretty happy right now lol…

But it dropped… Eh… Still 4x what I bought it for…

So I hope I can get a nice car when I get older.

I’m not gonna race it haha. I am a safe driver and if I have other people in the car with me I don’t want to put their life in danger. Plus I’m not stupid I’ve seen kids race GTRs and total it. I have driven a GTR because my cousin has one so I told my parents that car was awesome and they proposed buying it for me under those circumstances. God Bless - Moefv

P.S. my parents just told me this, but I would settle with anything really. I really like the 370z and the Camaros, but a Toyota or anything else would suffice. What do you think of the Skyline GTRs? Thanks for the advice!

Sweet. But also keep in mind, you haven’t gained or lost anything until you decide to sell it.

First Car: Mk4 VW GTI
Second Car: Lexus IS300 (JDMed out with Altezza grill, rims, etc)
Third Car: E36 BMW 328is (first manual car)
Fourth Car: 2003 350Z (6 speed, jdm Fairlady badges, rims, intake, exhaust, various dress up bits)
Current Car: My Dad’s Explorer (had to sell my beloved Z due to a financial bind)

1985 Lincoln Mark VII

2000 volvo s40, bbut now I have a 2004 hyundai elantra.

Yo dynikus… you should totally hard top that Miata. There are a few sick, modded, hard top Miatas around my neighborhood. By far the best budget sports car to ever exist.

I see a few of you guys have been to Bondurant. I used to live in Gilbert AZ (15 minutes from Bondurant). I never went to bondurant, but I have been in a few drift events at Firebird Raceway next door. I was part of the AZ350Z club.

76’ Gran Torino it had 200,000 on the clock already when I got it. I truly had to fix it once a week if I wanted to drive somewhere.

Mine was an Elantra. I’d only ever driven manuals, and this was an automatic (I grew up in the UK and so this is quite a rarity). It had the worst automatic transition you could ever imagine. Absolutely shocking. But still loved because it was my first car, and had quite a lot of trunk (boot) space. Now I have no car, which is depressing as all get out, but in a city you really don’t need one. :frowning: