Your first car

Mine was a used 1994 Purple Pontiac Grand Am. I paid $1200, and rolled around in that thing for a year and a half, before it broke down. :smiley: Got my money’s worth though.

Alright, you sound like a responsible and sane driver then. Sorry if what I said came off as harsh at all. I really like skyline gtrs actually, assuming we’re talking R32-R34s. I personally like the new R35s better, but they’re still both pretty high on my favourite cars list. If I ever have that kind of money, that would probably be the car I’d buy.
I’m not sure if GTRs ever came in automatic (and I hope they didn’t), but I’m guessing the one you drove was manual?
When you get your car, whatever it is, I wanna see some pics. :wink:

I like your style. E36s are great, I test drove an e36 z3 and really liked it, but ended up going with the miata because it’s gonna be a lot cheaper to maintain. Plus my mechanic doesn’t work on german cars. Was your 350z imported? or just have the fairlady badges on it?

And I was considering hard topping it eventually, but then I drove around with the top down and thought it was amazing. haha
plus I don’t think the roll bar I’m looking at is compatible with hard tops. And before I do any cosmetic mods like that, I plan to do some performance upgrades, like raceland coilovers, upgrading the differential (I found out yesterday that it doesn’t have the Torsen LSD :frowning: )

That’s exactly what I drive!! Mine is a tanish brown.

So that makes it ok to spoil you?
No really, all my friends with somewhat powerful cars as their first one have crashed it. IMO a first car should have around MAX 120 bhp.

There are two separate issues: the level of luxury of the car, and its power. By coincidence, more luxurious cars tend to have more power.

I have no strong opinions on the power level of a “first car”. When you have something that makes your head snap back, even adults like to step on the gas every now and then… teenagers might be more tempted to do this to impress their friends than a more experienced driver would, but not all teenagers are like that.

Extra power also means extra ability to quickly get out of bad situations, as long as you know how to use that power.

As for luxury… it’s every individual’s right to spend their money however they want. If the parents think a $50,000 car is a normal amount to spend for a first car, who am I to judge (even though that will never be me)?

My first car was one of these

A 2002 Kia Rio. Good car. Was in my family 8 years.

After some problem with the engine, rather than keep paying to fix it, I cut my losses and got one of these.

2010 Kia Soul. This is my commuter car, as it’s good on gas. Can’t complain with it. Good sound, roomy, and can get up to speed at a decent rate.

For when I want to have fun, I drive this thing.

Looks like this, but has a topper over the trunk.

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT4lF_qQ7CgdOX2UZTO9HVcO_aTD9MdpqTrqOKvB3Tjd1sBjkefjA

Now, this is not my vehicle, but I drive it often. IT’s a 2006 Megacab. Thing is a beast. Fun to drive.

That’s why they spoil me because I am their only child. I’m okay with it. God Bless - Moefv

Not my first car but it’s sick!

Of course you’re okay with it. It’s still a shame that you think it’s okay to be spoiled.

Why wouldn’t it be okay? It’s not my fault that they spoil me. I’m not a kid that’s a jerk, my parents and family have taught and raised me better than that. I don’t go around bragging and saying this and that about how I am an only child and get spoiled. I just posted that my parents told me that they would get me a GTR under the circumstances. In no way I asked them to buy it for me, but they offered and what do you want me to say? No? I already stated in recent post that I would be comfortable owning any car the thing is to have a car so I can drive and so my parents don’t have to take me to places I want to go so I don’t bother them. Sorry if I came off as a spoiled brat for some reason, but in no way am I one. God Bless - Moefv

FWIW, I think you’re coming off just fine, Moev. :wink: No offence intended to Eastfield, either, who obviously has people’s best interests in mind.

Of course I would share pics! Yeah the one I drove was manual kind of tricky since I am new to driving but I am now learning. Thanks for everything! God Bless - Moefv

P.S. What do you think of the New Camaros? God Bless - Moefv

Sorry for the double post. Thanks Greg! Appreciate it. God Bless - Moefv

Well, thats good to hear :slight_smile:

Mine was a 1987 Honda Accord (with the pop up headlights)

After college I got a 2005 Honda Civic Hybrid which met an unfortunate end last year and was replaced with a 2013 Ford C-Max.

Like this one, but dark metallic blue…

My first car will probably be a 92 Honda Prelude, my brother insists it’s a great classic JDM car, but I have to constantly remind him that a stretched out Civic, is still an Econ Crap Box. You can find Boss 302’s in running condition for pretty cheap, like 3 or 4 grand, I thought maybe I’d go for that, but it’s a Fix Or Repair Daily car so probably just going to stick to the Prelude.

Almost got a Prelude as my first car (ended up with a Toyota Corolla). I know it’s not a beast or anything, but it had significantly more pep than the Civic or Accord of its generation. Don’t think the one I tried was a 92, but I don’t recall the year. Too long ago!

Yeah, I just learned to drive manual a few days ago, it’s definitely quite a bit more tricky than automatic. Especially with something as powerful as a gtr. It helped a bit knowing how to ride a motorcycle beforehand, but still pretty tricky. Hope you go for manual when you go to get a car, they’re tons more fun than an automatic, atleast from what I’ve experienced and what others have said. Plus you get better gas mileage, and you’re less likely to get distracted while driving, because you’ll always have to be focused.
As far as new Camaros go, I like the look of them. But I’m guessing they handle a lot like mustangs or chargers, which is to say they’re probably just good for going in a straight line quickly. I could be wrong though, I never really looked into camaros. I’m just assuming based on them being muscle cars that they don’t have very good handling compared to foreign sports cars, like fairlady Zs or lancer evos.

I get to learn on a manual. That’s what my parents drive. I also may get to drive my dad’s Cobra, if he lets me in a year when I get my license.