Your favorite 5a yoyos?

So lately I find myself playing and enjoying more and more 5a stuff.

Throws I played the most up until now in this style are the

R-type (until it got banged up so bad the vibe started to bother me)
Kapital (this thing seems indestructible)
Z01 (I’ll just push the rims back if needed…it does feel a little overly fast and light for 5a though)
Dressel Emotion (my current favorite at the moment)

Which ones are your favorites for 5a and what makes you like em?

4 Likes

My preference is compared to 1A a bigger diameter since I find these throws hold better plane. Width same as 1A not a fan of wide yo-yos. Shape also same as 1A a soft V.
I think my fav 5A so far was the Ti Sunbird by yoyofriends (after I removed that super sh*t bearing it shipped with). This guy has no big diameter but for its ratio it is big enough.
I also have a 70gram 888 clone for 5A which is great fun since it gives 5A a complete other vibe.

2 Likes

I’ve not gotten super into it beyond 5a May, but I’ve been using the Duncan Barracuda and I like that a lot.

3 Likes

I’m like steve, ive only dabbled but the monster has been fun for 5a. I’m sure anything in the monster line would be wide and powerful enough to keep up

1 Like

Overall I like yoyos that have good power for 5a, with some exceptions. It also depends on the counterweight paired with it as that affects the sensation of play for me.

My current 5a yoyos and counterweight pairing:
YYF Mega Monster w/Momiji and 3 weight beads
C3 Galaxy Diver 7075v2 w/Saturn and 2 weight beads
C3 Vanitas w/Jupiter and 2 weight beads (this is the aforementioned exception as Vanitas isn’t the most powerful but for some reason it rips at 5a nonetheless)

1 Like

Oh man…my Galaxy Diver V2 would indeed be excellent for it. But I don’t feel like my 5a is ready for my “nice” bimetals quite yet. I still drop my throws…a LOT.

Which is OK when I’m in the backyard on grass…but inside on the hard stone tile floors…

2 Likes

V2 is surprisingly durable! It’s taken the most punishment of my yoyos and suffered some drops (nothing ding-worthy fortunately) but has also acquired the least vibe (as in none). I think that the rims might be harder to shift just due to how big they are, potentially. Either that or I’m just lucky.

Other good 5a yoyos for me:
Duncan Evolve w/saturn and 2 beads
Mowl M and M+ both w/Momiji

2 Likes

I’ve been playing more 5A everyday too. Recently, I’ve mostly been using the Duncan Barracuda and Mowl Vigilancia.

The other day I threw a CW on the Freshly Dirty Orchid and I reeeeaaallly like it. It’s easy to control and holds up to plane changes much better than expected and the teflon material is super quiet and soft on impacts. Like, when the CW hits it, it barely loses spin and makes almost no sound. I highly recommend it if you can grab one whether you’re doing 1A or 5A.

4 Likes

I do minimal but like the Grunt and Loadout

I like using my Newts if I’m inside bc it’s not loud if the CW hits the yoyo or the yoyo hits the ground/walls bc of the TPU wings. I’m also less worried about practicing aerials inside with that yoyo bc it’s less likely to break something. I like Barracuda if I’m playing outside. I dunno what it is exactly about that yoyo but Duncan absolutely crushed it imo.

4 Likes

:smiley::+1:
And they’re not expensive at all.

2 Likes

I don’t play 5a yet… but I plan to get there, I’m just not good enough yet. That being said, I do have one C3 yoyo that was designed for 5a play and it’s awesome. C3 Ambition, it’s Lee Ji Hoo’s signature yoyo and he killed it this year in the competition! I love watching his performance.

I just saw this post, so yeah, you probably won’t want to start with Ambition either. Save that one for later.

acanthus and yoshicuda x

1 Like