What "1A yoyo" makes for a good freehand yoyo?

I’ve seen a few similar topics, but not in a while. I’ve tried 5A for a few years and I just never could get used to the initial throw, it has been very frustrating, it just always felt awkward. I recently, however, had an “ah-ha moment” and it just clicked. So I’ve been, excitedly, throwing more freehand. So… like the topic says, what yoyo marketed for 1A have you found to work well for 5A? I’ve been using the OneDrop Presciption and the Magicyoyo Hot Diggity, but looking for more variety. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

2 Likes

Pretty much all of them will take a counter weight. Never had a problem.

1 Like

I’m going to have to agree with @Grendel. I sometimes do 5a on a Shutter. That being said, there are some 1a yoyos that are better. I prefer a Barracuda X because it has stability, the same with the Atlas. With 5a, you want something cheap you are willing to drop. I have a throw that has become super vibey from being a 5a yoyo. So in this case, I would get a b-grade or something like that.

3 Likes

Sorry, I should’ve been more specific in the original post. I’m looking for some specific yoyo recommendations. I know all yoyos can be used for 5A, I was just looking for ideas on which ones are preferred so that I have some more ideas going into future purchases.

2 Likes

That’s one concern I have too, I don’t want to put a counterweight on a lot of my other throws, because I’m extremely weird about dings. I have been looking at B-grade Atlas and Cannon.

1 Like

Okay, so since any good 1a yoyo will do the job, I will pick a good 1a yoyo from my collection at random and suggest it:

• YoyoFriends Sync

I have a raw Sync that I bought off a BST and it came with some scratches. I’m not concerned with scuffing it up since it is already scuffed up.

2 Likes

B-grades and plastics. You really want something cheap and durable so let’s dive deeper:

Duncan Freehand Pro or Nextgen- Really cheap, and you cannot go wrong with it
Too H.O.T. b grade- Pretty cheap and people love it for 5a
B-grade Atlas and Cannon- These were designed by Jake Elliot with 5a in mind. I love my b-grade Atlas.
Duncan Windrunner- Its cheap and wide. I love it. One thing to consider, the OG version has a very short axel which I have stripped (not once, but twice)
Duncan Barracuda-X-Plays as stable as you want it too.

My final vote would be for the B-grade Atlas (or a second hand Atlas if you can get it)

4 Likes

Something you don’t mind getting dinged and dented. You will ding it up playing 5A, or as I like to call it “Heads up! There goes my yoyo!” :rofl:

4 Likes

I too have a stripped out Wind Runner. Thank you for the specifics, I keep leaning more toward the Cannon and Atlas.

1 Like

In my experience, 2 of my yoyos are standouts (1 you already have). The Hitdiggityi Vayder.

1 Like

@AaronW- Like this?

@Rbacon50-

6 Likes

20m is a good starting point :rofl:

4 Likes

I like the Hot Diggity, I just wish it was a little more powerful. It seems to lose steam a little quick for me. I haven’t considered using a titanium yoyo, this would definitely address the durability.

1 Like

The Vayder is pretty much the perfect 5A yoyo for me. I sparked the heck out of the raw one I got, so I decided to try it out with some 5A. Better than the Hotdiggity. As for durability, definitely. Ive crashed it a couple of times bad enough to add some vibe to an Al yoyo, but the Vayder remains as smooth as the day I got it.

3 Likes

I’ve tried a few 5A throws and ultimately felt most comfortable with a wider h-shape. The stability is a huge plus due to the perceived awkwardness throwing compared to 1A. Also currently using delrin as it hurts less in the event I fail, also takes a beating like a champ.

3 Likes

Be brave.
:fist:
Don’t be afraid to let go!
:raised_hand:

5 Likes

I agree with the wider H shape being a bit friendlier to use. A shutter is a good option that you can get a bgrade of (I think). Shutter wide angle is exceptional👍.
It’s no secret that my personal fav is a BarracudaX.

Start with something on the cheaper side. Use it for learning tricks with reckless abandon. Then you wont feel so hurt when it eats something. You may find that you can progress in learning a little faster when you worry less about dinging the yoyo.
I started on a magic yoyo node. Cheap enough to get 2, one of which stays nice- the other is the road warrior.

The v shape of the node is nice to use as well. The Windrunner (imo) is like a premium node. Very nice.

4 Likes

I picked up 3 yyf marcos for cheap on ebay and that is all I use them for is 5a.

2 Likes

Next gen fhz is great for 5A and comes with a KonKave.

1 Like

I have a b grade yyf super wide that works really well. And it was really cheap

3 Likes