What 5a yoyo to get?

I was thinking about the getting the Atlas yoyo. But then I saw the Freehand AL. Now, I have a freehand pro, and I think it has a pretty normal width. But the freehand AL is smaller. I kind of like wider yoyos for 5a more but idk. I also don’t know if these are very good decisions for 5a. I used to own a Atlas yoyo and it was my favorite yoyo but that was a year ago and I dont know if there are better yoyos now. I want to know wether Atlas or freehand AL is better, or if I should think of getting a different yoyo. I want something $80 or under.

1 Like

Both of those are good options for 5A. If you like wide yoyos, the atlas seems like a good choice. No yoyo out there is objectively better than those two for any style. It’s more about your preferences.

5 Likes

You can use any unresponsive throw for 5a, just go for the one that you don’t mind dropping on the floor

2 Likes

This is the very best advice I can give you that you didn’t directly ask ‘me’ for.

I can’t tell you the very best 5A yoyo to get.

But I can tell you that one of the very best ways to help you concentrate on learning tricks , is to not get a yoyo that can’t take a beating.

There is a very high probability you are going to bounce your yoyo off everything but the back of your knees.

Best bet would be a plastic or delrin yoyo.

You can buy a more expensive metal yoyo and waste time being overly careful that he might damage it when you lose control of it. You will waste focus trying to keep from smacking the yoyo into something. And that focus is better spent on tearing up some tricks.

On the other hand… if you could care less about your metal yoyo taking a beating, then that is different. Get the best rig you can afford and softly beat it with kindness. And enjoy the battle marks from every error you make.

But you are better off not getting a Show rig… You need a Utility rig. Try contacting Doc Pop or Steve Brown or a few others that have been throwing 5A for 20 years. They may be able to suggest an economical utility rig that can withstand the little mishaps that are inevitable when practicing 5A.

4 Likes

He’s got a FH pro already, just beat the crap out of that. Then if you still feel the same get yourself something nice. Your hands are going to take a beating at first but you get used to it. I love 5A, it’s handy. Good luck either way Sir.

5 Likes

I already beat the crap out of it. It has a few dents and scratches and the caps are popping out. That’s one reason I’m looking for a new one. Also the FH pro has its limitations and that’s another reason why I’m looking for a better one. I want the yoyo I get to look a little nice but I can still use it just fine.

1 Like

If your trying to get better at 5A and learn/land some new tricks I would say get the Atlas. I would say use the Freehand AL to improve trick consistency.

1 Like

I think working on new tricks would be more beneficial because I can land so e pretty consistent.

My advice to you would be get the Atlas, but like the people said above also use your FH pro as a beater

1 Like

Lol literally flung it across the room twice today so it already is.

2 Likes

For plastic ones, go with the Magicyoyo Crystal. it has a insanely wide-feeling at just 12.99.
If you like metal more, go with the Magicyoyo Node. It is very durable in the 6061 Aluminum.
If you don’t care about price, go with the Yoyofactory Atlas. Extra wide, it is also good for 1a.