You know whats worse than lowballing

The attitude of a true, hardcore business man.

And to all, I usually will hold for others. It doesn’t hurt my feelings too much, I just get annoyed. I feel it’s just good etiqutte to give first dibs to the person who asks for it first. Then again, if I wait forever, I may change my thoughts. If it takes more than 2 weeks, I tell them it’s over unless they can throw in $10 for the wait.

The thing that irks me is what I call the Pawn Stars effect.

On Pawn Stars, they run a business. So, when they say “That is the best I can do”, only to subsequently up their offer, people start to believe that is the way to do business.

When someone asks “whats your best price?” I tell them the best I can do at the time. Many people, however, believe that this just re-sets the price of negotiation. They then come back with an offer that is 20% lower. That just encourages me NOT to give my best price; which defeats the purpose of the question in the first place.

I agree with Geezer, as I tend to be very direct, and very much a straight shooter. I will tell someone the best deal I can give them right at the outset. But, because people are used to games, they think it’s a bluff of some sort, and seem to believe there is more wiggle room. There usually is none with me.

But, I know that not everyone in the BST knows how I am, or got a feel for my personality. I list prices in my BST, so I don’t deal with many lowball offers. A lot of sellers bring problems upon themselves by not listing a price. If a price is listed, then someone makes an offer, and potential buyers know if they are in the ballpark. If you just say “offer up,” expect some lowball offers coming in, because it implies you are open to anything. One man’s lowball is another man’s fair price, so saying “no lowballs” tells people absolutely nothing. When I see “offer up” along with “no lowballs,” it indicates that someone is not serious about selling. I see that and run the other way.

Looking in the BST with no money, is like going to the mall with no money. You see everything you want, but have no money to get it. I try not to put myself in that position. Also, I never ask people to hold anything. Why should a seller forego a sale to accommodate someone who went shopping with no money? Asking someone to hold a yo-yo for free is worse than trying to put it on layaway. I would be too embarrassed to ask someone to do that. They are not a store, they are an individual trying to make a quick sale, likely to flip the money and get something else.

I agree…don’t hold a yo-yo that you want sold. I would do it for a close friend, but that is a select few.

1 Like

As a buyer, I only actually buy yoyos because I have the money there and waiting. If I didn’t have $100 to throw away, then I’d have more important things on my mind than trying to aquire new throws.

When I make an offer to someone it’s because I already have the money in my account ready to be sent to them the second the deal is agreed. If I didn’t have the money, I’d just accept the fact that I couldn’t get the yoyo in question.

Share man! This is getting to the good part!

Oh, BTW please add more butter.

1 Like

Go and get me a refill