yotrick civility

Looks like they will be shipping them out soon. Got a post on facebook about them going out on National Yo-Yo day which is today.

Yeah Iā€™m learning advanced stuff on 20 dollar with a kk, so I guess a 35 but you could do it cheaper.

From what I have been able to gather(I jumped in on the Kickstarter, so I am anxious to get mine):

They just placed their order at the machine shop a few days before BAC. I have no idea the numbers they are gonna be pumping out, most likely based on the numbers, over 500 of them, maybe more.

Then they have to probably send out the ā€œOK, we got them. Here are your color choices, what do you wantā€, and then off to anodizing they go. Once they get back, then itā€™s off to be packaged up and sent out.

Iā€™m a patient guy. I have been waiting, and now it appears the wait is in the wind-down stages.

Then again, I ordered some stuff from YYE on National YoYo Day. Upon hearing something new releasing soon, I said ā€œHey, hold the order for me, so when those drop I can snag one or two for myself and save on shippingā€. I can wait another week or more for stuff I want to get.

One of the things that still puzzle me is how they said they wanted to offer a yoyo for learning advanced tricksā€¦ And they wanted the people learning the tricks to have the ā€˜sameā€™ yoyo they would be using in the videos. So the guys would know they had a yoyo that was fully capable of helping learn the tricks.
Yet, just about all the tricks they had on their site at the time they started the Civility fund drive, they were doing with a 15 dollar Peter Fish plastic yoyo. ???

Their startup fund raiser was an Amazing success. They got 6 times the pledging they were hoping for, over 20,000 dollars! Good for them.

They got so much money, they decided to do ā€˜anotherā€™ Proto, to further refine the final yoyo they would be offering.

And the final Civility yoyo weighs 69 Grams.

I just hope most of you guys that bought into their plan are into 69 Gram yoyos.

I didnā€™t think much into that until somebody posted they are maching about 500 Civility yoyos.

Not saying there is anything inherently wrong with 69 Gram yoyos. Just hope there are 500 people that like heavy aā€¦ Yoyos. (:wink:

1 Like

Iā€™m vexed on it. I love when kick starts are successful. But thereā€™s a lot of grassroots companies out there who didnā€™t get a kick start, didnt have a fan base from a forum, a store, or some other base making thing beforehand (yo and non-yo related,) and Iā€™d just fine by putting their own risk into it. Not to say I donā€™t support it, or that Iā€™m hating on it; just stating facts.

I think the whole ā€œfor advanced tricksā€ is just marketing spin. Having a successful Kickstarter relies on marketing (which includes both marketing assets but also word of mouth).

At the end of the day, I didnā€™t prefer that spin, either. But I also donā€™t really begrudge them the opportunity to overstate the facts a little; itā€™s not hurting anyone as long as they deliver the goods and the goods are as advertised.

I actually was told why they need their own yoyo and it made me go ā€œohhh that makes senseā€. Problem is i canā€™t exactly remember so i was hoping someone would chime in.

I can say it hasnā€™t been mentioned yet though

You of all people should know itā€™s the distribution that matters, not the actual weight. Designers can make heavy yoyoā€™s feel lighter by a significant amount. The weight difference you feel during play is the distribution, not actual weight. The equivalent of a few paperclipsā€™ weight is not going to change it that much.

I completely see your point. Honestly, there really isnā€™t a need to develop a yoyo for the purposes of learning advanced tricks. Thereā€™s a TON in the pre-sale price bracket($75) and regular price bracket($90) that is perfectly suitable for what the "statedā€™ goal is. Anything can be done on a $10 upgraded Classic(OK, letā€™s just say $20) or a $20 Alpha Crash or a $25 Legacy II or a Protostarā€¦

I also have no problem with heavy yoyos. I like them heavy. Thatā€™s just my preferences. 69 grams isfine, IF itā€™s weighted properly. Iā€™ve got heavy stuff that feels a bit ā€œlike a brickā€ and stuff over 70 grams that is still speedy yet feels light on the string and in the air. I also have yoyos under 66 grams that feel heavy.

Also, I am guessing based on the money that they are machining 500 or more Civility yoyos. Honesty, if they are selling them for $90, they are probably being made for around $35 each. Now, letā€™s just lose $3000(generous) off your $20K number. I forget the real number but I think it was in the upper range of the $19K number, probably closer to $20K. For those kind of dollars based on production costs, that number of 500 is pretty low, but who knows, maybe theyā€™ll move them in huge numbers.

Yes, I jumped in on this. The yoyo looks visually attractive to me. I like simple lines and this has it. It looks to be well weighted, with more weight in the rims, which again I like. They are blasting it, which I also like. I hope I can get one in a clear anodizing, but we shall see. However, it doesnā€™t look like anything super special. Itā€™s kind of got that Burnside/Protostar kind of profile that we see on a lot of other yoyos.

My opinion is that yoyo companies are cropping up like mad. I mean specifically companies that are designing and producing yoyos. You know, like Square Wheels, GSquared, Eternal throw, like that. I think in some cases, itā€™s some sort of a status symbol.

Not to mention two people in particular, but letā€™s look at JD and Andre. Andre doesnā€™t have his own yoyo brand. He does have his own signature models, which obviously is working well for him. Probably saves him a ton on development costs since YYJ is most likely involved in that. Andre is running probably the most sucessful yoyo store in the United States, and probably if we go worldwide, heā€™s gotta be in the top 3, if not #1. Then we have JD, who has signature models too, and is also running a successful online yoyo store.

I think the guys behind the Civility wanted to have something unique to make them stand apart with their own exclusive. The Peter Fish stuff got them started, and theyā€™ve since added other brands, namely YYF and YYJ(that Iā€™m aware of), but while both brands make amazing stuff, this is more of the ā€œregular fareā€, but it sells, and thatā€™s good business. They also seem to be more oriented around the beginner to intermediate market because they seem very centered around training. Ainā€™t nothing wrong with that.

I donā€™t think they really NEED their own yoyo. I think the NEED was fabricated in their marketing vision.

You can learn advanced tricks on a Classic or a Whip or a ONE should you choose to do so. The mindset of many new players is ā€œI need that yoyo to do those tricksā€. We know thatā€™s false. You need SKILLS that come through practice and work, to do those advanced tricks.

Does having a new yoyo help me? Not necessarily. I have found that if Iā€™m learning a new trick, Iā€™ll mess around until I find the yoyo that seems to best help me get this trick down. I figure, I have enough variety, it can help me stack the odds in my favor a bit. However, once I start to really get a trick down, I will stop using that yoyo and move onto other stuff, be it big or small, or wide or narrow, or different shaped or differently weighted. I"m trying to build the skill, not specific muscle memory tied to a specific yoyo. I do admit this tactic is ideal for competitive play with matching yoyos. I also like variety. I can grab a different yoyo and itā€™s sort of like starting over again.

As I continue to struggle through 2A, I know itā€™s me, not the yoyo. As I fumble my way through the latest 1A tricks, I know that no yoyo will make me better, but some yoyos make it easier to land the tricks, which helps me get closer to having the trick mastered. These days, Iā€™m working on most of my new tricks with a Classic with upgrades.

I do look forward to the Civility and I look forward to being able to post the review of it.

I think it wasā€¦

If a store uses a certain brandā€™s yoyo for the Storeā€™s tutorial videos (which are used to pull in buyersā€¦ think of it like marketing), they can be liable to owing that brand money. Unless you get permission to use the yoyo in the videos and all the brand would get in return is publicityā€¦ But most brands wont do that. And even if they do, then youā€™re gonna want to stock up on X brandā€™s yoyo that you use for the tutorial. They instead took the opportunity to make their own yoyo. It is a very smart move. Ugly yoyo though.

You canā€™t use Cocacola to help market your own venture without owing them money, such as using Cocacola in your show.

Same goes with yoyos in Yoyo Tutorial Videos for a Store.

Donā€™t quote me.

Here we go:

Queue the Duncan lawsuit for anyone using unlicensed 5A yoyos or DIY counter-weights.

Since the guys who designed the Civility also own the store, the circle is complete. They own the brand, the store, the patents(if any) and the rights, so they have nothing to worry about. I completely agree, it was a good move. However, they also were using Protostars for some tutorials and I can guarantee they werenā€™t coughing up some dough to YYF to be able to do that. They sell YYF after all.

Again, I think most of this is a control factor:
If we know what the person is using, we can better understand their issues and correct them. This is like modem firmware or different brands, where in some cases, features could be missing or not implemented. Without knowing all the particulars, sometimes it can be hard to establish that common ground.

Ugly yoyo? Thatā€™s debatable, but Iā€™ll accept your opinion as your opinion. I will admit it is not the most attractive yoyo Iā€™ve ever seen though.

1 Like

The only problem I had with the whole thing is that they say they want to make a yo-yo that is perfect for learning advance tricks. Ok, fair enoughā€¦ but why not include an IGR on it if that is the case. Yes they show thumb grinds in the video but the yo-yo is at an angle. Players will have to learn to correct for that angle if they transition from the thumb grind to another trick. It is also a pain in the butt to learn thumb grinds on a non-IGR yo-yo. And donā€™t get me started on the lack of a proper spike for matador play.

I guess my issue is that if you are going to make a yo-yo to learn all ā€œadvance tricksā€ then it should be able to easily pull off ā€œALLā€ advance tricks.

/steps off soapbox

Oh, good point on those options.

I would have to check their ā€œFirst 50ā€ list and see if IRG/thumb grinds are on that. Iā€™m currently not able to do IRG/thumb grinds, but itā€™s something I do want to learn. Iā€™m actually getting close to learning those.

I will disagree with you within reason over matador play, mostly because I donā€™t think thatā€™s as important to know as the thumb grind. Thatā€™s a good concept for more advanced players wanting to experiment. So, I will disagree with you as far as it being needed in regards to this yoyo because it is intended to be for learning. Putting the axle the way it is saves money, so they really the spikes a non-issue. With current competition trends being towards horizontal play and gyro-grinds, I think a spike is not one of the wisest features to include on every yoyo these days!

Taking your position towards matador play on a side-step, Iā€™m sure this yoyo is probably OK at best for horizontal play. I have to wonder how comfortable that axle system is going to be for gyro-grinds?

Studio, I am only posting this excerpt because you wanted to shave numbers off my startup figure(which I deliberately low balled so as to not exaggerate). In your response to my post, you could not remember ā€˜the numberā€™ so you took 3 Gā€™s off my figure. To aid in accuracy, the following information is provided for those that also may not know or remember>>

On January 7, 2013, YoTricks approached the Kickstarter community in hopes of raising a modest sum to create a yoyo specifically designed to help fans of YoTricks.com learn the most advanced tricks. Named the Civility Yoyo, we asked for $3,500 to make a small run of the yoyo we had spent the past year designing and perfecting. By February 10 the Civility Yoyo project had raised nearly $23,000, more than 6 times the original goal! Because of the generosity of the Kickstarter community and the fans of YoTricks.com we were able to do an additional prototype to further refine the design. Currently we are in the process of perfecting tumbling and polishing methods to ensure that we can put a perfected product into the hands of those who believed in the Civility Yoyo project!

There ya go.

Also, I fully agree with Saintrobynsā€™ view.

Ps, abstract parallel> I am going to get a crowd of kids gathered on the corner. 50 is a good number, let the show begin. I am going to get a 15 dollar skateboard and show them 24 absolutely Amazing tricks they can do on the skateboard. Now that they are pretty impressed, I am going to offer to sell them some 90 dollar skateboards right out of the back of my Van. I am going to break out one of the 90 dollar skateboards and do the same 24 amazing tricks that I just did on the less expensive skateboard.
ā€¦ Now I am going to suggest to them it would be best if they all bought the 90 dollar skateboards so that when they are learning the Ollieā€™s and the backside 360ā€™s, that they have the same equipment that I just used.
ā€¦ Hopefully they will totally forget that I just several minutes before, showed them the Amazing tricks on a 15 buck board.

Bottom line, nothing wrong with making and selling a Yoyo. Everybody but my mama is making a yoyo it seems.

The only thing that doesnā€™t/didnā€™t click with me, is the explanation regarding why people need to use the Civility to learn advanced tricks. Their explanation holds about as much water as a bucket full of holes.

Jensen Kimmitt won 7 Yoyo Contests in a year, using a 35 dollar yoyo.

I know Yoers can be ā€˜any ageā€™ from young to ancient like me. But the primary target for yoyo sales are kids.
Why suggest that kids need to buy a 90 dollar yoyo to learn advanced tricks?

It may make dollars but it doesnā€™t make sense .00

1 Like

I took $3K off your number for funds used to further R&D and finalize the design, leaving the remainder as funds available to both make yoyos, parts(response pads, axles, bearings), profit and marketing.

Thatā€™s fine Chris. I just refreshed your memory so you could shave 3 off the correct starting number.

Donā€™t look now, but I know a little about money and calculations, myself. (:wink:

1 Like

Canā€™t argue with that.^ :slight_smile:

Itā€™s true itā€™s interesting for them to show you all the tricks on an upgraded $2 yoyoā€¦ (better bearing, response, and weight rings I believe?) Then they turn around and say you need a $90 yoyo to be able to do tricks like them or whateverā€¦

heh heh

I honestly donā€™t know what the big deal is. If you can google yotricks, you can google anything yoyo related, and very easily see that you donā€™t need a $90 yoyo to do advanced tricks. Heck, theyā€™re even selling other yoyos that are way under $90. If they were really shady, they wouldnā€™t sell anything but Peter Fish and the Civility. My BS detector just isnā€™t going crazy with this.

I interpreted the video as ā€œHey, if you like our tutorials, and you wanna support us to help make more tutorials, then you can donate to our cause, AND get a nice yoyo out of the dealā€. I didnā€™t get the impression that ā€œwe wonā€™t make any new tutorials for you fools unless you pony up!ā€ Even if they did say something like that, who cares. Any 10 year-old can google other tutorial websites.

If you think about the bigger picture, the whole knock on their briefly-mentioned selling point is small potatoesā€¦ errā€¦ not even a potato spud. I wouldnā€™t immediately suspect anyone is trying to fool a small handful of yoyoers for any gain.

[quote=ā€œYerret,post:59,topic:47851ā€]
Iā€™m not calling 100% BS, I am just of the firm believe that if you are making THE yoyo to learn all advance tricks then it needs to be able to do ALL advance tricks.

I am not surprised that The Civility has no IGR the Projects, which the Civility borrows heavily from, did not have them either. I love the Project but it was not the go to yo-yo for thumb grinds, even David and Shawn will back me up on that.

This yo-yo stopped being a signature yo-yo for the website the minute they said it was for players to learn tricks. At that point it is a yo-yo for the community and needs to address all the various styles that people want to learn, no matter how obscure they are.