yotrick civility

[quote=“saintrobyn,post:60,topic:47851”]

I was actually addressing the exaggeration that “we’ll stop making tutorials unless you guys show us the money”.

I see your point on the design of the yoyo, and unfortunately have no insight on what kind of money and effort that takes. Though I agree it would be nice if the design could handle everything…

yoyo seems pretty cool I it does come out I might want to buy one :slight_smile:

lol so who bought all these? I mean it surely wasn’t people in the yoyo community, after all for similar money you can get a ton of better looking and better playing yoyos. Just Kickstarter nerds who had no idea what modern yoyoing was about, saw the video, and decided to get back into a hobby they may have had as a kid without doing any research into other companies or options out there? Good on them, but yeah kinda disappointing to see all this money flow into basically a Project knock off. Oh well, the main yotricks guy seems nice enough and i have learned from a few of his vids back in the day.

I supported the kickstarter because I learned most of my early stuff from yotricks tutorials. And if I don’t like the Civility, I can always give it away to one of the family members I’ve got hooked on yoyos.

Yuki

Not a knock-off, an homage. :wink:

I don’t think anyone involved has ever been anything other than transparent about the design and machining pedigree.

People are also more helpful than you might think! I admit, I didn’t get one… but I was “this” tempted for the mere reason that I find YoTricks.com incredibly helpful. I’m sure that’s what pushed some other people in as well, so yes, I DO think there are people in the yoyo community who bought them!

I guess I’m just a Kickstarter nerd who has no idea what modern yoyoing is about. And here, I thought I was getting in on helping YoTricks get their own yoyo made.

Yes indeed, I do know a thing or two about yoyo weight distribution. Thank you so much for ‘accusing me’ of actually knowing something about yoyo design and construction.

But immediately after scolding me with the ‘finger pointing’, ‘you’ of all people should know that everything else you said was also already known by me.

I have a few yoyos that are in the high 60’s/pushing 70 and they feel light on the string. And I have a few yoyos that are in the low 60’s and they feel like rocks on a rope.

And no doubt there will be a percentage of Civility buyers that will be just fine with the weight. As I already mentioned, I didn’t really give it much thought until I read that they were making 500 of them. And regardless of how well the weight is placed, a 69 gram yoyo is 69 grams. And even if it feels lighter/faster/ and plays nice, for the majority of players that don’t wear any finger tape, the weight of the yoyo will tell your finger how heavy it is. Good weight distribution can happily fool your mind but sadly it can’t fool your finger.

Since you very accurately identified that I should know about yoyo weight distribution, you should also be sharp enough to admit and recognize that shooting for a final weight of about 66.5, layed out effectively, would probably appeal to a greater number of people. (Understand that my above explanation is based on 15 years of modding yoyos and talking to hundreds of people over those years about yoyo:shape, diameter, width, bearing size, bearing shape, response type, lube or not lubed, string types, ideal weight and opinions on Optimal weight distribution(core, even rim to core or primary rim weighting either on very outer edge or slightly inboard).

I don’t just say stuff out of the Blue sky.

Yes, I know some stuff about yoyos. And I know how much a 69 gram yoyo weighs just by looking at my finger, lol.

Too late now, obviously, but I think(and I may be wrong) that if they would have known(at the time) and stated they were fund raising for the building of their 69 gram yoyo, just how many people would have jumped in to the Program?

My bet would be ‘less’ than more.

… Regardless, I hope they do well. The guys are pretty good throwers. The trick vids are clear, good angles, good lighting, good execution, etc. and they seem like nice well meaning guys.

It would be Great if they sold all 500 yoyos and at the very least, most people would be happy with their Civility yoyos.

If you read my Skateboard analogy, then you know why I didn’t really care for their ‘sell campaign’. The final weight was/is just a minor carping.

One of my Absolute favorite yoyos is the Berserker RX. It weighs about 68.7, thereabouts. A good example of something you said, Wildcat. The Berserker RX weighting is second to none. So there are exceptions.

If the Civility plays anywhere near a Berserker, that would be a Wonderful thing.

We may have 500 more accurate viewpoints than mine soon enough. I don’t have to be right even half the time. I just like to think the majority of Yoers are happy most of the time.

1 Like

good Idea :slight_smile:

1 Like

I supported this. These guys taught me all the basics, so I didn’t mind paying them back. Plus, I like the way it looks.

69 grams was no surprise. On Jan 10 (3 days into the Kickstarter) they posted the specs as:
diameter-just over 55mm
width-42mm
Weight-around 69 grams

In the later prototype(s) they changed weight distribution, not weight.

I didn’t mean it surprised everybody. I guess it must have just surprised me.

When they did another Proto to further refine their design, I must have just been too optimistic about them shaving down the weight a few grams in the process.

I’m not trying to think too far ahead. Maybe it will be the Best 69 gram yoyo ever made? And I hope it is.

1 Like

so any reviews?

All I know is that it is one solid yoyo. I tried it like 1.5ish years ago and it was awesome.

Nicely timed bump -.-

I try my best

Well I tried this over the weekend, because the yotricks guys came to Chicago yoyo club the civility definitely has a project feel. Although it still is such an awesome yoyo I’ll sum be picking one up.

1 Like

I tried Adam’s at the PNWR. It was awesome! It did not feel heavy at all.