Yomega Raider Troubleshooting: String keeps slipping off of yo-yo as I try to tug it back

Hi,

Yesterday, I just purchased a Yomega raider, new in the box. The yo-yo is transparent, has clear edges and teal, bluish green caps. The yo-yo is apparently copyrighted in 2019 according to the stamp on the plastic. So I was doing some basic string tricks and some looping, but eventually, for some reason, the string didn’t seem to grab onto the yo-yo as I threw it down and tug it back to make it return.

To elaborate, no matter how hard I threw the yo-yo, the string seemed to “slide” off the bearing. I noticed when a yo-yo is normally thrown, I can feel my throw’s power being transferred from the string to the spinning yo-yo. But in the Yomega raider’s case, when I throw it, it just feels like the yo-yo is just falling off my hand. It feels like when I release the yo-yo, the string just falls out and the yo-yo doesn’t spin much. It’s kinda like a quick frictionless, unzipping motion. I figured it might be the starburst response system because it didn’t feel like the yo-yo string was gripping onto the sides as I threw it down or try to tug it back up. But I’m not sure. It’s a new yo-yo but I took it apart to check. The spacers look clean, I made sure the bearing is aligned, and I even checked the plastic for defects or cracks. I admit that the yo-yo banged on the floor one or times on accident but I shook the yo-yo, nothing rattled inside meaning there seems to be no loose parts. Nothing else seems to be wrong. The starburst shouldn’t look overused, I bought it just yesterday. I even tried my best to make sure the yo-yo halves are not loosely screwed in. The yoyo has not been overtightened because if it did, I would have heard or seen cracks.

I’ve already tried other troubleshoot methods. Thick lubing the yo-yo. Changing the string. Even double, triple, quadruple looping around the axle. I even made sure the string stays centered around the axle. The yo-yo sometimes becomes responsive but shortly after, the string starts slipping from the axle again.

Before I try modding, what should I do? Any ideas of what may be the problem? Any other remedy suggestions? Could it be I just happen to have a dud yomega raider? I’ve considered buying a replacement. But I don’t want to buy another one if many other raiders have the same problem straight out of the box.

1 Like

Hey, first of all, welcome to forums! (It’s great, trust me) The issue you may be having is a locky bearing. Sometimes, even lubing it won’t help. I can’t think of anything at this moment, but I usually bug the company I got it from until I get a replacement, haha. (I’m not saying you should do that)

More than likely your problem is due to the string untwisiting as you do multiple loops. With each loop the yoyo flips, thus causing the string to untwist. (Assuming you’re right handed. It gets tighter if you’re left handed.) You need a string tension adjustment trick like the UFO.

The issue with the yoyo falling down the string rather than spinning is probably due to the same issue as the yoyo does not wind tight enough on the return to generate spin on the next throw.

There is probably nothing wrong with the yoyo or the bearing.

Not likely. A locked bearing would make things a bit more responsive.

3 Likes

valid point. It’s not unresponsive.