Yomega Maverics

Are Yomega Maverics good? or should I go with a YYF Protege??? Help!!!

Protege. Yomega sucks for unresponsive play :stuck_out_tongue: (Generally)

Completely invalid. OP get what you want. They will both play fine, the Maverick just needs a cleaning and a little response wear and it will be great.

i have a maverick and love it! it is a great yoyo! If i were you i would go with a maverick because they have such a nice feel in my opinion and are a nice metal throw! they do need a bit of break in time with the bearing and response but after you have done that it will play unresponsive and very smooth. for 30 bucks id go with a maverick any day. I might recommend you to get the yomega dash though because it is the same yoyo just with a larger gap. good luck!

I know people have beef with Yomega because of a past event (not going into detail, just do a search) and because of it’s proprietary components that can be frustrating for people who want to upgrade (Odd bearing size, and response system). I’d like to say that I love my Maverick. Mine was more or less breaking in after a week of play. People complained about the mold marks on the rubber pads but that’s worn off now, just a smooth rubber response. I’ve gotten 2-minute sleepers with this, the finish is nice and ‘silky’ for grinds. Feels like a nice solid yo. Best of all, I got it for $21 bucks at the time.

Also a great throw is the Duncan Metal Drifter. A clean bearing, 1 pad/silicone, some nice unresponsive play!

Maverick is great; Just requires some cleaning and breaking in and it can be a super fast, unresponsive throw. I have never thrown a Protege, but from my experience all the fundametals are good. Just go with what YOU want.

I have a maverick and would greatly reccomand it. For $30 bucks it great, and it does work for unresponsive play, it’s just has a long break in period (took me about a week). I know people complain about the odd parts, but to me thats what makes so fun and unique. The rubber response has lasted a good 5 months at least without going to the point of not being able to bind. It does have a beadblasted finish, it just not that good, but you can fingergrind for maybe 2 seconds. The one thing really to consider is if it fits your preferances. It’s a very quirky, fast, and undersized yoyo. You should still consider the protege.

the bearing on the dash (assuming it’s the same as the maverick) is smaller and thinner than C-sized bearing found in protege. The maverick/dash’s gap is also smaller than the protege’s, so it will be more responsive. You cannot fit a C-sized bearing into the maverick/dash.
I can make my dash somewhat unresponsive, but not completely unresponsive. It might snap back if I have a few layers of string and some slack, because the gap is smaller than the protege’s. The maverick will sleep pretty long, but not as long as the protege.

Bottom line: Maverick is a good yoyo. It sleeps pretty long, nice shape, smooth surface, virtually wobble-free, but it can’t be made completely unresponsive by just cleaning the bearing.

You are talking about a dash, making assumptions about the maverick.

You can’t play one yoyo from one company, and know everything about all their yoyos. Sorry.

1 Like

Not true.
And my maverick doesn’t snap at me, its completely unresponsive.

@ first sentence: Are you implying that it’s possible to make a yoyo that has a smaller gap, same bearing, same response, same shape, same brand, and lighter that is less responsive?

@ second sentence: It’s true that you can’t play one yoyo from one company, and know everything about all their yoyos.
No person knows everything about all of a company’s yoyos.
If you want to argue and not help the original poster, you can say that not all mavericks are the same, and it is impossible to tell someone how the maverick that they will receive in the future is going to play, because every yoyo is unique, and the person to which you are giving advice WILL NOT receive the same yoyo you used. If you look at a yoyo with an electron microscope, you will find this to be true. There is no person alive that can tell you every factory defect that has ever existed in all mavericks. Even ones from the same batch will not be exactly the same. No two A-grade yoyos will be the same. Do you really think this is the type of information that yoyoerzyoyo seeks?
I’m trying to give my opinion, based on my experience. Who are you to say that I’ve never thrown a maverick? It’s up to the original poster to decide whether or not they want to use my comments, not you. If you don’t have anything helpful, keep your opinions to yourself. He is looking for HELP/RECOMMENDATION on the Yomega Mavericks.

If you are really sorry, you will remove your useless post. Does it make you feel smart to be able to destructively criticize people?
The poster is not looking for someone to tell him that there is no right answer, or all yoyos are good. Get it through your head that these people want HELP/RECOMMENDATIONS. My advice to you is to try reading the poster’s question and respond to it. Always keep in mind that this is the Help/Recommendation section. If your post doesn’t help or recommend, it’s probably off-topic.

Hey buddy, I’m not sorry about the post I made, I’m sorry you think you know everything.

Yeah, small gaps have relativley little to do with the responsiveness of the yoyo.
In your first sentence, you stated that you assumed that the dash was like the maverick. The fact that in your last comment you went on about useless crap that had no relevancy just proves my point. I could type out paragraphs on the subject, but you said you ASSUMED it was similar, which gives me proper reasoning to say that you HAVEN’T played a Maverick. I have, and they are fine yoyos when set up correctly.

Do me a favor, and realize that you’re making a big deal, on a post about a god danged yoyo. There;s no need to get upset because I corrected you. And if you want to keep trying to prove you’re “bigger” than me, go ahead.I said that you can’t judge one yoyo by other yoyos you’ve played, and am I wrong?

NO.

Sit back, relax, and let love rule.

Q

(PS, don’t reply to this, I’d hate to see this thread get locked, if you have anything further to say, go ahead and send me a PM)

Not true. Gaps have a lot to do with the responsiveness of a yoyo. Why else would loop 900 and velocity have an adjustable gap if it has relatively little to do with responsiveness?
Why else would yoyojam supply a slim bearing?
The word assume is not even in my post. I used a / mark. You need to understand the difference.
You do not know which yoyos I’ve thrown, and you are the one making assumptions. A previous poster recommended the dash, so it may have helped to compare the two. You’ve only said that Maverick is a fine yoyo. The OP still doesn’t know if you think he should get maverick or protege, based on the information you gave.
You can judge a yoyo from pictures and specs, especially if they’re good pictures. Yoyo designers/modders know about how yoyo shapes, gap width, etc. will affect a yoyo. If this weren’t true, they wouldn’t know what to change to improve their design. They obviously haven’t yet played the yoyo that they are designing, so they must rely on past experience with similar shapes. You are wrong.
I realize that some people are incapable of giving useful advice, so they resort to criticism. But, I believe that they can change. In the future, please try to help and give advice, while you are in the Help/Recommendation section. If you want to criticize, go to the destructive criticism section.

THEY HAVE ADJUSTABLE GAPS TO MAKE RESPONSIVE YOYOS MORE RESPONSIVE.

I have a X-ConVict that is unresponsive with the widest gap, and the smallest. Adjustable gaps DON’T really matter. No, you can’t judge yoyos from specs, you’ve showed me that from your replies in this thread. If you want to troll, troll. You’ve already proved to me that you don’t really care about getting information correct, and even though you don’t think what I’m saying is right, leave it and move on, no need to get offended by it.

Trust me, I’m the biggest jerk you’ll meet on the forums, get used to it.

Group hug!

I throw a maverick and I love it. Not my main throw- its my “beat-up, worn down, dinged up, well loved, travel throw”. I learned more on that yo-yo than any other in my collection. Its so beat up it looks like Freddy Creugers metallic little brother and the little Guy STILL can keep up with my DM1 and the rest of my collection. Its the throw I plan on giving my son when he gets serious about his yo-yo skills. Yomega is trying hard to become a real player in the competition/professional scene.

;D

I would definitely recomend the YYF Protoge. Here is why:

1: Because it is the Smoothest Yoyo you will EVER Play with! NO JOKE!
2: It Never Tips or Turns during Play! (Or atleast it doesn’t for me)
3: The Shape is SO Confortable.
4: Sleep time is to the Max!
5: This Yoyo is FRESH!

I have Never thrown a Maverick, but I will say this:
EVERY Yomega I have Ever Thrown wears out in a couple hours, or sometimes minutes. And if you don’t have any Lube to put on the Axle, then your Yoyo is Screwed.
Hope this Helped!
-Cody Wright

-hugs!

LOL, that Protege stuff is false. Mine vibes like heck since I got it, and it’s not smooth at all. And it also tilts during play all the time.

But it is fresh?

Lol. Did you trade something for the Protege? If you didn, he probably sent you a bad one.