Do you think Yomega is underrated?

Now that I’m back (& with better grammar & spelling), time to give my opinion. I think so. The reason why I’d say they get all this flak is because of them targeting the casual crowd more & because of the mistake they made at Worlds. Honestly, the Glide plays really well for a 1a yoyo (although it could be a bit cheaper in price). I’ve also heard good things about the Prodigy.

No

1 Like

Pretty sure most people got over the worlds thing years ago, most/all of the people involved in that are gone.

The issue is that their yoyos are terrible, their marketing is terrible, and they just generally seem to have absolutely no idea what they’re doing anymore.

Kyle

The marketing thing might be the biggest one. Their marketing is dreadful.

bump

…why are you bumping a thread that has already had 3 replies in the last half hour?

4 Likes

No.

Not at all. I feel like they served their purpose at one time. Not sure how their premiums play but their lower end stuff doesn’t really interest me a whole lot, and I already have a Maverick.

…and their yoyos kind of use non-standard parts - metal spacers that sit on top of a rubber response system, not just a simple silicone groove. I know they changed the bearing out but the Maverick I own uses a funky bearing size.

You should try the Glide if you get hold of one. I have one & it’s awesome.

Yomega seems like they’re trying to be a Duncan/YYJ hybrid, but failing at it.

I almost forgot that I do own 2 YYJ x Yomega throws, one being the Odyssey and the other being the Firestorm. Both are fun plastic throws, especially the Odyssey (which is really a re-packaged Surge).

The Glide is just one yoyo out of their lineup. The ProDigy (looks like its trying to say Pro-Diggy) is also a good yoyo, and even better again than the Glide. The Raider is also meant to be a decent looping yoyo.

So that’s three decent yoyos out of a ton of not so great ones.

can someone give me insight as to what happened?

for the OP, the only remotely good 100% yomega throw ive tried is the glide. even then i wasnt very impressed. (the prodigy is machined by onedrop, and was mostly designed by spin dynamics if i remember correctly…)

I believe they are referring to this.

1 Like

Interesting read. The SWAT team seems a tad excessive though. Lol

1 Like

Yeah, I know Yomega used to use non compatible parts.

I don’t know, you can never be too careful with these things:

3 Likes

Anyone? ???

Interesting choice by a yoyo company to want to benefit from the Worlds event but not to support it. I only know the version of the story I read in the link, but, it is interesting.

However, this is almost ancient history, as Kyo said. I’m thinking the issue is more overall quality and perception of their product of than Worlds 2007.

That being said, the Prodigy (designed by Gumlaw & Deitz, machines by One Drop) is a nice yoyo that bears the Yomega name.

have you heard of yomega?
if so, then they’re overrated.

honestly i will always have a soft spot for the yomega i remember from the 90’s boom. fireballs and saber-raiders and x-brains all over the place. but despite considerable resources they’ve never maintained a significant effort toward the interests of PLAYERS, and their relevance to modern yo-yoing dissipated well before the 2007 worlds drama (which was pretty awesome to behold). some truly great players have used modded raiders, and the company has undoubtably been a factor in bringing people INTO yo-yoing, since a lot of kids’ first interaction with yo-yoing came out of their toy store stock. but if the best you can say about a company is that they’ve made a lot of money selling the same “ok” entry-level yo-yo’s while only intermittently releasing new mediocre models, i don’t think “underrated” really applies.

3 Likes