Yo-yo Raffle $10

Hello friends,

I have an idea to Raffle some of my collection and would like to check with mods if this would be allowed. While also checking if this is something forum users would be interested in.

It would look like this….

10 to 20, numbered slots available.

DM me a number you’d like to reserve. And your name would be assigned to your number on a public list.

The draw would be live streamed via my instagram @theyoyoconnoisseur where numbered balls will each be filmed going into a box. Shaken and 1 drawn. The whole process filmed.

And the winner gets the yo-yo shipped anywhere in the world.

I have a solid BST Track Record and my feedback is here.

If this is indeed allowed and there are enough of you interested.

I can do a raffle within the next day or two.

Tickets would be around $5 to $15 depending on the number of slots and the yo-yo. (I might offer some Ti’s or Magnesium’s)

The total revenue will equal to what I would’ve sold it for on the BST but I thought this would be a fun way to pass throws on to new homes.

If Mods give me the green light, and ya’ll are on board. I’ll get a live listing up shortly.

One love.

EZstreet

6 Likes

Goodlife yoyo’s
Gully 7068, it’s Monometal brother the Gulch and Valley.

All mint condition.

What do we think?

$10 with 20 slots available? Can get multiple slots. Winner takes all 3.

1. Vu Ho (not on forum)
  2. Rohan Rossberg (Not on forum)
  3. Vu Ho (not on forum)
1 Like

Since you’re kind of asking for opinions…

Imo for mystery boxes, raffles, etc. the value must be exceptional for one to feel that it is worth investing in. After all, if I wouldn’t buy it at listed price, why would I gamble for what is the same expected value?

Also, correct me if I’m misunderstanding. You’re raffling off a Gully 7068, Gulch, and Valley with 20 $10 slots correct? If I’m not mistaken those 3 yo-yos sell for $190 retail, but you’re raffling $200 worth of tickets which means you’re asking for more than retail for those 3 yo-yos.

3 Likes

Thanks for the input Andy. I’ll definitely take it on board. Shipping these from Australia to anywhere in the world would cost around $20-30.
These are all new. And I would still have a net negative from the money I put in.

$10 seemed like a nice round number and 20 slots for the same reason.

International shipping, if done individually for $20 a piece, would also end up at $60

That’s a very valid point for the Mystery boxes needing to be exceptional value in order to justify investing and spending a high dollar figure on the mystery box.

Mystery boxes guarantee a yo-yo and are generally at least the cost of a Monometal. The customer is hopeful to get a bimetal for mono metal money.

This model is quite different in that it’s $10 win $190 worth of yo-yos shipped anywhere in the world.

More than happy for anymore feedback from the community.

Personally I don’t think it’s much different. Yes, it’s “cheaper” because it’s a raffle but the expected value is the same. In a mystery box you’d pay $67 for a yo-yo. In this case, you’re just paying $10 for a 1/6.7 chance to get a “$67” yo-yo (average of the 3) at a “discount” and a 5.7/6.7 chance of getting nothing. Both situations you’re gambling for yo-yos at the same expected value, just done slightly differently. It being a raffle instead of a mystery box does not suddenly make this a better investment.

Also I believe this is not correct. One raffle can win you one yoyo, so you can’t win all 3 yo-yos or the “$190 worth of yo-yos shipped” unless you buy 3 raffles.

In any case, since you kind of stated you factored shipping for 3 individual yo-yos ($60) into the price, I’d suggest maybe bundling them all together for one raffle so you can make it $40 cheaper (or technically speaking, just making the odds better) than it’d be otherwise.

This will be the last thing I say on this as I don’t wish to hinder your sales. Good luck!

3 Likes

The winner would get all 3 yo-yos

1 Like

Ah, I misunderstood because of what you said about shipping, my fault.

In any case, $10 for a 1/20 chance of $190 is the same as $10 for a 1/6.7 chance of $63 (like I originally thought) anyway so does not change the actual value.

I still hold that $10 for a 1/20 chance of a $190 retail value is not great value. Again, it may feel different for the buyer, but you’re effectively asking for $200 for $190 retail value. Even factoring shipping it’s $180 for what someone could buy for $190, brand new, right now.

It is not suddenly better value because it’s a raffle. To make it easier to understand, what if there were 100 slots instead of 20? It’s still only $10 entry, but your odds of actually winning are only 1/100. This is just an extreme example to clearly depict what I’m trying to say.

1 Like

Apologies if that was unclear. But it would be $10 ticket to have a chance at winning the collection of 3.

This is more for someone who would like to have some nice throws in their collection but don’t want to spend $200. But they might want to have a chance with $10
This person is likely less concerned of value ratios to the extent you’re going into.

Retail value of these 3 combined was $200. Hence why I priced it at $10 for 20 slots. That would add up to $200.

The raffle is $10 to win a $200 collection of yo-yo’s in cool colourways.
I’m making $160 after shipping when I spent $200. I think this is quite fair. But you’re entitled to believe that this isn’t good value.

I thought it would be fun if some people wanted to try. And some do.

Appreciate the feedback.

3 Likes

I believe this is considered gambling and i see it get banned on discord and bst’s and the fact that your in a whole different country raises even more questions about the law. Hate to see the bst get shut down because of something so stupid.

No worries. Consider this inactive.

I think international gambling litigation would be a stretch. No money has changed hands and none of the participants thus far are on the forum.

USA is not so simple with raffles

same for australia

the fact that you called it raffle might be enough alone to get you and the forums in legal trouble if it robs someone the wrong way

2 Likes

I don’t believe the YYE forums are the right place for this. Too many kids.

I see this done often in other hobbies I’m in. More so on high dollar items than budget bundles.

A solid vouch process and knowing the members legal identity is needed for this process to work.

Also this is connected to the Illinois fireball so no funny business can be done with the raffle. Take a look if interest you. It didn’t really get as
Much action as I expected. Most ppl that have throws that have real aftermarket value tend to kept them.

7 Likes

No raffles, sorry.

8 Likes