Yo-yo for stress

Yep. I use it when I’m working from home and need a break or need to think about something more complex.

6 Likes

I think I have said it somewhere before, but re-learning how to yoyo helped me get through my online grad program.
Like, even just still sitting in my computer chair and turning away from my desk (and the laptop…and the piles of papers) to do forward passes and various loops was helpful for dealing with stress.
I’m also just an anxious person and have a tendency to pace around and just not sit, so I think it seems less weird and off-putting to people around me if I’m yoyoing while doing that.
Plus, I just like having things I can put in my pockets.

7 Likes

yeah yoyos are the best for de-stressing, as long as you dont hit your face,

double the relaxation if its outside on a sunny day, to chill after work

8 Likes

Been dealing with chronic pain and it’s one of the reasons I picked up yoyoing in January 2023. It gets me out of my mind and off the sofa. It’s been a lot of fun learning, and I’m fine admitting that I also really enjoy the collecting component too!

11 Likes

Yoyos are also a great stress preventer!

6 Likes

I also believe that messing with yo-yos is a great stress reliever. I started doing the yoyoe thing around 19 97/98…

I noticed almost immediately that I wasn’t so wound up anymore. I had way less of an urge to kill people.

Before I started throwing yo-yos, there was a six square block area around my house with no people no survivors, no life whatsoever.

After several years of yoyoing, I noticed the surrounding neighborhoods started re-populating. People started walking their dogs and going to the park and riding their bicycles more often.

The braver ones actually went by the front of my house… Across the street from my house… But that was a start getting back to normalcy.

The local police station actually sends me thank you cards for keeping down the crime rate by not increasing it.

I don’t even sharpen knives anymore… I just pick up the steaks with my hands and eat like a Manimal.

I used to be an expert at removing blood stains. It’s been so long now I have forgotten most of my stain removing formulas.

But you can never forget your past. So I always keep a large bottle of ketchup on the table. Remembering your history will keep you from repeating your mistakes in the future.

When I throw 2A, I actually run down to the graveyard to practice. That way all the people I put there can see that I’m trying to improve myself.

Yoyos… Definitely a stress reliever. The only thing I kill now it’s time.

12 Likes

All the time :ok_hand:

2 Likes

Whenever I see you post it always makes my day hahaah

6 Likes

I dunno - this has a little too vivid of a feel :flushed:

3 Likes

Yes, throwing a yoyo is a stress reliever. A couple of double or nothings, man on the trapeze and brother and the McBride roller coaster are good for me. When I really need to relax my brain some mindless looping, shoot the moon, warp drive or time warp do the trick.

9 Likes

Love it!!!

2 Likes

I enter a zen state of yoyoing and just watch that lil fella spin and fly all around. Nothing else exists in that moment except maybe there’s music on. I love being able to focus in and tunnel vision onto something so hard. I have to, to do the tricks correctly.

I find the real world extremely stressful and many of my hobbies are about escapism, and this is an excellent escapist hobby. That zone is incredible to be in. Time isn’t even real in there.

6 Likes

Most of the time I yo-yo solely because it crosses my mind. That being said, I normally don’t leave the house without a yo-yo. It’s always strapped to my belt loop. I need it there for emotional support. I haven’t done any actual yo-yo work for a couple of months though. I’ve been pretty down so, much like a yo-yo, I’m just waiting for the upswing.

6 Likes

gotta keep that thang on ya, me too I keep one always on me

4 Likes

Severe health issues are exactly what got me back into yo-yoing. It’s a great way to de-stress in the evenings. It’s been especially good for me, since
1). It’s a relatively cheap hobby
2). It’s not too physically (or even mentally) demanding. But, it’s not the end of the world if I don’t feel up to doing it one night.
3). It gives a sense of accomplishment as I progress with small, achievable goals.

It’s awesome to see others have found I helpful too!

11 Likes

I think I’m finally ( hopefully ) nearing the end and finding a treatment plan that will work. But it’s 100% been the only way for me to NOT think about all that’s going on, and then feel less stressed and a better perspective. Glad to know others feel the same!!!

7 Likes

So glad it sems you’ve found the treatment you need. Believe me - I know what a journey that can be. Without trusting the Lord Jesus I know I couldn’t have made it this far. Yo-yoing can’t solve all our problems or be our sole purpose in life, but it can sure help and be the icing on the cake. Hope your health continues to improve!

4 Likes

Absolutely. If anything good has come from this I’ve absolutely gotten closer to the Lord in this. Realizing no matter what “I” want, it’s all in his hands and I have to trust His plan!

4 Likes

Amen!

4 Likes

I generally grab a yo-yo, but if I’m not in an area that I can’t do that, then I go for my begleri or knucklebone. I keep those on me at all times. It helps a lot. I used to play disc golf and skateboard but I’m getting too old and broken. So skill toys fill that void for me.

Back in the day Dr. Tom Kuhn was really into meditation as well as yo-yos and he referred to it as the “state of Yo”, which sounded like a lot of hippyish garbage to me as a kid, now we call them flow states and it’s been proven that skill toys are a great way to relax.

8 Likes