Yo-yo Designer Hall of Fame

I started this thread because like others; I am sure that there are anonymous designers who’s throw I love; but I do not know their names.

Who designs YoyoFactory? Japan Technology, Yoyomonster, etc. I am sure there are geniuses lurking behind all major brands.

Who are they? Who were they?

2 Likes

Tom Kuhn; Doh! How did I miss that one?
That is the point of the thread. Nominate your fav’s.

1 Like

Almost forgot about Ernie with generalyo

4 Likes

Ha, I was waiting for someone to bring him up :slight_smile: Genius for sure. And a fine fellow too.

I must agree. Heath for sure.

1 Like

Ze’ev Yehuda deserves mention! Responsible for a lot of stuff, notably many from iYoyo, very behind the scenes otherwise.

2 Likes

These are the kinds of names I am curious about. What information can you share?

He designed the HiDRA and TEQUiLA for iYoyo, and has a LOT of posts in the YoyoDesigners facebook group, going back to 2014. I don’t have any other specifics but I suspect he’s done the CAD work behind a lot of yoyos, similar to Zach Lerner (who similarly has many, many posts in that facebook group, but I’ve also talked to him personally).

Between them they’re the source of a lot of modern yoyo design information that was available on the internet when I started learning how to do the yoyo thing.

3 Likes

How about Chris Kayatz from Hspin?

He cooked up some pretty good designs…. Years ago.

…I think Damian Puckett might just be one of the least mentioned but notable yo-yo designers. His yo-yos are a match for anything.

Yoyojams’ Dale Bell….A true mastermind.

Thad and Richie from Chico yo-yos, came up with some solid designs.

JD is an excellent yo-yo designer.

Etc….

2 Likes

I would add Steve Buffel (SPYY) to the list. Surprised Ben McPhee didn’t get mentioned in the first couple replies.

4 Likes

My favorite designer is Tyler Hsieh from unprld.

1 Like

I have to say Ray Smith from MFD. He not only designs some great throws but does all the anodizing himself and it’s all amazing!

2 Likes

Definitely SKon. I feel there’s nobody who can you h his level of engenuity and precision.

1 Like

Wow, I’m pretty embarrassed that I missed Ray in my ‘add to list’.

Ray and I go waaaay back before there even was MFD. I think of the guy as a nephew, lol.

I guess I’m just so use to his Amazing skills, he just blends in the mix.

I have so many superb yoyos from Monkeyfinger and every one of them is a keeper.

Ray is one Badd mann!

2 Likes

Evan nagao, Jeffery pang, and shu Takada for sure :yo-yo:

2 Likes

Designers should definitely have a place in the yo-yo wiki.
Overlooked art/skill.

Paul Yath too… (Milk)

3 Likes

You are nominated.

Glen should be here too. (Spin worthy)

3 Likes

Does anyone know who designed the freehand 1?

How about Ernie kaiser? Oh and every yoyo Anthony Rojas has colabed on tends to be a modern classic in my opinion.