I was just thinking, do we have a yoyoing hall of fame? I believe there are such titles as “national grand master” and what not. Who would you see in the Hall of fame?
With my little knowledge of the yoyoing community (which has plenty of holes in it, I admit) I’d see something like that
As for today I’d see
- Donald Duncan
- Steve Brown. Lifelong yoyo ambassador, inventor of 5A
- André Boulay. the man who, basically by himself, taught the world how to throw
- Hiroyuki Suzuki, not sure exactly why, but I’d definitely see him up there.
- Tom Kuhn, well, he’s Tom Kuhn!
And as probable “future” (even tho it’s not really “present”) inductees
- Ben McPhee, the face of yoyo factory, the man with a vision
- Brandon Jackson, the face of duncan yoyos, guardian of the temple
- Augie Fash, for being Augie Fash (seriously!) all over the world. Making it a better place.
- Ettore Ferro, probably the craziest yoyo designer that ever walked the earth
- Ed Haponik
I picked those guys because they’re widely known and renowned even to those who just picked up yoyoing a week ago. In my eyes, they dedicated their lives (or close enough) to make this sport and art known all around the globe. They define yoyoing as we know it today, they pretty much built it from scratch, over a very long period of time (more than 20 years for some)
thoughts? let’s give those guys some love.