WYYC 2017 - ICELAND!!

Don’t forget that it also depends on who applied and what case they presented.

If only Iceland and Poland applied and the petitioners for Iceland presented a stronger case, then the committee has made the right decision. It’s not only about the supporters of this fine hobby of ours but about who is willing to stage a world event and put the work into making a pitch.

I for one am extremely excited, only wish it was in 2016!

Dibs me first! I’ll boil the kettle and pop the crumpets in the toaster. You guys are in for a real treat.

http://media.bridgesandballoons.com/Images/2013/08/tea-and-crumpets.jpg

As a huge fan of your person i am really disappointed that you are bringing this sarcastic argument, which is pointed onto my person. But trying to kill my points with that, only shows that you can`t invalidate my arguments what implies they are kind of justified.

Never the less, i want to apologize if i assaulted anyone with my speeches. i am pretty clear and translator supported which may sounds funny. hope to see you @ EYYC and please set up useable stream @cleveland and Iceland. the last stream from Japan was not any good.

And please don`t compare a stream to a event you are attending. this sounds like an attention whore speaking after the mouth of one of the greatest man in the scene.
yes clear assault, this time !

Just a side note: anyone who appreciates Steve Brown as a person has to accept that a generous amount of sarcasm and terse replies are part and parcel of that. Even when you’re on the receiving end. :wink: Can’t be all, “Hah, man… Steve really cut to the chase on that one! Love it!” for some discussions and not others. It’s all or nothing. :wink:

Iceland sounds pretty cool, I think I would prefer that to Garrett’s backyard, but, if there are grilled hamburgers & hot dogs, count me in!

Cant make everyone happy, they’re just gonna have to suck it up and watch the livestream and/or youtube vids.

I apologize if this is offensive, but its da trooth. :stuck_out_tongue:

Yep, it’s all good until you’re the one getting the short end of the deal. Happens to us all doesn’t it, nobody’s perfect. But we can all choose to treat it with hypocrisy or a little respect. Try to at least empathize with the one short handed, you know?

1 Like

Yup, yup and yup. :wink:

From 1992 - 2013, the entire world got the short end of the deal. The contest stayed in the US and the organizers weren’t going to move it. So the fact that we’ve now had one in Europe, one in Asia, and already have the next European one scheduled is nothing short of a miracle to those of us who have been around for a while.

The IYYF can speak for itself as to why it chose Iceland. I’m not a voting member of the board, so I have zero say in the matter, but as someone who has been putting contests together for 20 years, here’s my take on Iceland:

Every single World YoYo Contest from 1992 - 1998 was the same. It was a side event at a juggling festival, of varying size and quality. The 1999 World YoYo Contest was an anomaly, run at the worst possible time, and handled badly. Every World YoYo Contest from 2000 - 2013 was the same event with different (sometimes) winners. For the 2014 Worlds, it was the contest that the Europeans had always wanted to run. It was a party contest, in a party town. 2015 Worlds was a metropolitan event, run to a tight schedule, filled with crazy talent and wild entertainment, because that is the contest that the Japanese have always wanted to run. For the contest I’m running next year, there will be more public outreach than the previous 10 World YoYo Contests combined. Because that’s my thing, that is what I want as an organizer, and it’s my year so I get to do it. We finally, FINALLY, get to have some variation in what the contest is each year, and that is the best possible thing that I can imagine because I remember when it didn’t change and lemme tell you, that sucked.

The Iceland contest will be a completely different beast. The goal of the contest is different, because the goal of the organizer is different, and we are finally to the point in this industry where we can actually change not just the location each year, but the feel and flavor of the entire event. My event will be a big American party with tons and tons and tons of general public coming in to learn on the first day of the event. The Iceland event will be an amazing “destination event” in an amazing destination because that is the kind of contest that Ben wants to run. The public outreach will be super different…it will be a lot of general public who are there for a spectacle. It will be a ton of yoyo players dogpiling in to a tiny country and being the absolute biggest thing in the entire country for a few days. If you know anything about Ben McPhee it’s that he loves adventures in exotic locales…so of course, his World YoYo Contest will be exactly that.

I think complaining about what is literally the absolute best time to be a competitive yoyo players in the past 86 years is very short sighted, and shows a lack of perspective, a lack of knowledge of the history of competitive yoyoing, and a lack of respect for the very small number of people who quite literally put everything on hold for a year of their lives in order to make events like this happen. So yeah, I’m going to roll my eyes and answer sarcastically. When Prague was announced, Americans complained that it was in Europe. When Tokyo was announced, people complained that Japan is too expensive. When Cleveland was announced, people complained that it wasn’t as exotic as Tokyo or Prague (including people who didn’t go to Tokyo or Prague, ha ha wtf). Despite the fact that Prague and Tokyo are the two best World YoYo Contests ever held, people complained. Almost nothing has been announced yet for Cleveland, yet people are complaining. We announced only a country for 2017 and people are complaining.

None of the people complaining run contests, and I’m noticing that none of them are serious competitors. So I have to believe, that if the organizers aren’t complaining and the sponsors aren’t complaining and the competitors aren’t complaining, then we’re all doing something right.

So, maybe re-think your complaint, and try to look at the larger picture, and try to understand that what you are getting upset about is literally the best thing that has ever happened to competitive yoyoing.

10 Likes

I am soooo pumped for this. I don’t think there could have been a better location.

Prague, Tokyo, Cleveland, Iceland…all great locations for totally different reasons. I love variety, and I love that we finally get a World YoYo Contest that really changes each year. Not even kidding when I say I legitimately never thought I would see it like this. So good!!

Agree with you wholeheartedly! To be honest, I love all those places, Iceland, Tokyo, Prague, Cleveland.

I was only directing my reply to 888victini’s reply of pretty much “too bad, suck it up”, because I felt even though he might not make a good point at least respect his opinion and reply in a cordial manner, even if you do not agree. The “short end of the deal” that I meant was his opinion, not the public’s.

<3 Steve Brown

P.S. My friend and I are talking about making an 8 hour drive up to Cleveland for World’s next year. I love that it’s really close (by close I mean 8 hours drive, but that’s nothing compared to the other locations) I think it’ll be such a blast, can’t wait. He’s one of only yoyoers I know in person.

1 Like

Looks like a 6 hour drive from the suburbs of Chicago to Cleveland Ohio for me. Thats totally doable!
Guess I need to figure out my hotel for that weekend now. Most likely drive in on Thursday and stay till Sunday then drive back.

Finally a close worlds to me!!!

side note: last contest event I attended was Triple Crown in Chicago which was awesome.

Oh and iceland would be cool to attend. Maybe ill figure out something for that.

1 Like

Just so you guys know, the point that there isn’t a yo-yoing community in Iceland is actually the thing that is going to make the contest awesome.

One of the points of this contest is not to be close to an existing yo-yo community, but to create a whole new yo-yo community around the event!

We have a really big master plan in the works for this contest!

Of course people are complaining, people will always be complaining. You can’t expect people not to complain when you announce something as surprising as holding a WYYC in Iceland without unravelling le logic which led to the decision, it’s a human feature to want to understand.

Why use complaint then? Because people think all the pros have been taken into account and are afraid some cons have not. If the opposite had happened, people would have complained as well. What is perceived as a complaint is both interest and insecurity in their raw form. When they don’t how to formulate their fear of a decision having been too lightly or incorrectly taken; or they don’t know whom they are supposed to ask. One could say the expression “crybaby” takes on its full meaning here.

If people complain, it’s because they care. It does mean you’re doing it wrong, but not because the choice is wrong, but people don’t understand and are interested. It’s the same everywhere, in different aspects of our societies, and it is inherent to delegating power to other people. When no one is complaining, then you will have to be worried.

Trust me I’m French, I know a lot about complaining. :smiley:

I’m going to reiterate what I said earlier. If you guys really want to go, you should try to start saving now. Do you buy a large cup of coffee every morning? Change that to a medium. Do you drive to work/school by yourself? Start sharing the cost of gas and pick a friend up along the way. Put all the money you save into a separate account specifically for the contest. You’ll be amazed how much you can save up in that amount of time just by saving on some simple, everyday things.

August 2017 is 621 Days away.
If it’s going to cost 2000 to go (rough estimate)
Then you need to save $3.22 every day, from now to then.
Or about $100 a month.

2000/621=3.22

1 Like

That’s not bad at all, I don’t think. Even with my very low paying job, I could definitely cut back on my spending enough to make it at that price. Right now, I’m just thinking of making it to Cleveland first lol. No idea if I’ll make it to Iceland or not yet, but for people who are complaining about how much it costs to travel that far, the earlier you start saving, the easier it will be.

Making the world a better place. i love it!!