WYYC 2017 - ICELAND!!

IYYF today posted their decision that Iceland will be host of WYYC in 2017!!

It might be strange to have WYYC in country, where is almost no yo-yo community, but this event will be organised by amazing group of experienced organisers from both Europe and USA.

Second possibility was Poland.

I want to go there so bad maybe I can plan a visit when this happens! ;D

Cannot wait for this! Iceland is such a great place and I’ve been meaning to go back anyway. This is good news indeed. ;D

Super excited to be a part of this big new project.
More details coming to the iyyf website soon!

Cool in just wondering if they’ll ever pick Mexico for 2018… Or even give it as an idea.

iceland isn’t the first place i would have chosen just like beijing china isn’t a place i would have chosen for the winter olympics. Anyway im excited to see what can happen and more then likely Palli is all behind this.

Americas will be hosting in 2019. If a group in Mexico submits a bid it will be considered by the IYYF.

Is Iceland considered the Americas or Europe?

Europe!

Utterly Stupid Idea.

This Location secures that there won´t be any casual thrower as visitor nor young talents because of their parents unable to afford to fly.

Instead of putting it to the yoyo crowded places like Czech Rep., Poland Hungary or Slovakia, they are going for a place in the middle of nowhere. Totally against the thought of giving locals the opportunity to visit the world contest every 3 Years.

This seems to be a contest only for Professionals without a casual thrower or local crowd. Don`t know how they want to get sponsors or any income in merchandise for such an event.

i don’t think the IYYF is stupid because this did’t happend by accident. Obviously it was totally planned that way. they really want 90% of Prague visitors not to come again. I for my self just don’t see any good and won`t be able to go there

someones raging

no and yes,

It was a lucky privilege for me to have Worlds in Prague just 5 hours away. But i am only a casual player and dont want to travel to iceland for my hobby. But hey, never thought i would visit worlds anytime a few years ago. i dont care a lot, still have the EYYC and local events to visit, but i am allowed to tell my opinion. Also i can tell from quite a few locals here that talk the same, just don`t want to spread rumors and calling any names loud.

Yea, not the easiest place to get to and of course there will not be ton of causal yo-yoers, but it gives great opportunity to travel to amazing place( as Japan served same way for me and 20 other Czech players(and many other European and US players) this year).

About Sponsors, let’s wait, it’s still quite far away, people behind it are one of most experienced in community, maybe they will surprise you.

Simply, it will be very different and unique WYYC. Maybe that’s reason why IYYF choose it over Poland, because I doubt they would do anything else than remake of EYYC 2015.

I get your frustration about it being somewhere where there isn’t that big of a yoyo community, but I feel like if they held it in the same 2 or 3 major yoyo cities every time, then it would get kind of bland. Iceland is actually closer to Europe than it is to North America, so you guys still will probably have cheaper travel costs than most people in the us and Canada. If you really want to go, start saving up. Take a look at your current budget and see where you could cut it down. For example, maybe buy some cheaper food every week. It’s 2.5 years away, so even if you save a small amount of money each month, you could potentially still make it there. To make staying at the contest cheaper, you can grab a hotel with 3, 4, 5 other people so that part is basically free. It’s very feasible to make it there as a casual player, you just have to approach the saving process early.

Apparently, the only solution is for us to have a World YoYo Contest at the home of every single individual yoyo player on the planet, every year.

I’ll get right on that.

But you already do so much!

I’ll give you a hand. I’ll set up my own household’s WYYC this year, giving you one less home to worry about! :wink:

Next year you’re on your own. :smiley:

I thought Iceland sounded pretty cool, but if Steve insists on having it in my backyard then I guess that’s fine too.

2 Likes

Would it be to hard to have it in my bedroom so i don’t have to get out of bed.

Seriously though they have streams now so its not totally like you cant see whats going on at worlds and still enjoy it…

I don’t think you guys get what he is trying to say in part. He’s saying that since it is in an almost unpopulated area casuals and even the public, if they somehow found out about it, would not be able to come. It’s not just a personal problem although in part it is but besides sponsored players or really yoyo fanatics its hard to get someone to the experience without money.

you can’t compare watching worlds on screen and living it

I was surprised as well, Iceland is kind of isolated, doesn’t seem to have a strong yoyo community, and I’m sure that other countries in Central Europe would have been much cheaper for a lot of people. But there could have been
worse choices, the scenery is nice and it makes the contest stand apart from EYYCs and EYYMs.