Would you yoyo if you didn't have a nice yo?

Why don’t you do just that, Mo?

Everyone here would absoloutely love to see what you Would make!!

1 Like

Way… back in the 2004 World Yoyo contest; I entered this Delrin yoyo. Cut from bar stock. 4 pieces machined and pressed together. With delrin bearing tips for top spins and/or pull starts.
…That was back when several guys had asked me if I could actually make a yoyo from scratch as opposed to modding yo-yos or making them from existing parts and modded pieces(like Dr. Frankenstein).
… My response was simple. Sure; no problem; haha.

https://public.fotki.com/YoEric/world_yo-yo_mod/mo_chavez_the_strin.html

That was 15 years ago. Uh… ya think I could whip something up?

:nerd_face:

7 Likes

That is really nice.

But I want to see what the Doc can do in 2019!

2 Likes

I have absolutely no urge to make a thing…

I’ve been in the process of reworking a house I just paid $400,000 for.

And I just got back the results of an MRI and was told that I have 3 torn rotator cuffs in my left shoulder🙀

So currently; I can’t even throw yoyos…

I am like a defective robot; lol; at the moment.

Regardless; my positivity is fine. But I have no present need or urge to prove I can make a yoyo or anything else for that matter.

But I am going to be off work for so long… I may just go ahead and make something; just to ‘do something’:wink:

Any suggestions?

How about something like a Birdseye maple yoyo core; acid etched with potassium permanganate(to bring out the figure). Then press/lock fit to delrin rims. And then fitted with brass weight rings. And bearing tips.

How’s that sound?

11 Likes

That sounds… Strange.

How about a delrin or aluminium unresponsive yoyo of some description.

1 Like

Sounds amazing to me!!!

Sorry to hear about the shoulder Doc! Hope your recovery goes well!

3 Likes

As someone who doesn’t really take yoyoing that seriously, I would definitely still. Sometimes, I’ll take a step back away from all the high rim weighted high quality yoyos, and break out something like a Duncan Butterfly or Yomega Fireball, just to enjoy that fun responsive play.

6 Likes

Love it.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

2 Likes

I’m intrigued!! Especially the etching of their wood! I’ve never heard of this before, tell me more!?

1 Like

Well I first learned on a Yomega Fireball so if you mean something like that with a plastic transaxle in a standard shape, yeah I could get by with that or a fixed axle wood. Something in that yyf starter line would qualify I would think and I could swing it. Probably force me to really get back to those fundamental tricks, Dizzy baby, spaghetti, and stop and go come to mind. Sometimes those tricks are the real crowd pleasers for the non enthusiast too.
I loved that giving away the Yoyos was part of your story. Reminds me that back in my early days of the hobby I would give beginner Yoyos like the Fireball away to people as gifts for birthdays and like events. When I ask most people still have the Yoyos I gave them, just a nice way to try and spread the hobby.

1 Like

Be careful with that potassium permaganate, that stuff will stain like no one’s business!

I buy bad spin tops and kendama everywhere i go. I play them until i see someone interested and usually give them away. I get my fun and share it too

8 Likes