Would you buy custom made Clay Counter-Weights?

First of all would you be interested? (assuming they’re good quality)

Second, how much would you be willing to pay (not counting shipping).

Three, what kind of counter-weights would people be interested in?

Four, I heard that Duncan has a patent so would this be legal?

I think it would be really fun to make these, so I’m just curious if it’d be possible to sell them.
I probably wouldn’t be able to make that many at first. But if they sell…

You can’t call them counter-weights.

I see :frowning:

What can I call them?

Call them “clay balls with holes”, and sell them as key chains. :slight_smile:

Hey, I’m not making money off this. Get your own ideas. :-*

The best homemade CW’s I’ve seen have been the hacky sack ones

Clay tends to break to easily

You can call them yoyo string weights lol

In general I’ve learned that there may not be that much interest in clay “key-chains”/Counter-weights.

I’ll make a few. Test them. See if they survive some regular tricks. See if they look good. Then I’ll post some pictures and ask if anyone’s interested.

Thanks for the advice!

If it pans out I’m interested

Ok! I’ll make sure that I like them before there’s any thought of selling them though.

Duncan Toys might want to have a talk with you about that.

They wouldn’t let me manufacture and sell counterweights without a hefty royalty and very large guarantee, so I’m pretty sure you’re in the same boat.

Feel free to drop them a line. Maybe you can get a better deal than I could. :wink:

2 Likes

Over-sized porcelain stringing beads.

Or Dave.

Sell them as “items for making hobbyist jewelry”

What people do with them after they buy them isn’t your problem.

No, I wouldn’t buy them. I know I’d break them.

Clay is awesome. I’ve been working with ceramics for around 4 years now, I throw on the wheel mostly, but have done some small sculptures.

I know a lot about clay and have experimented with a few things before.
Clay can be extremely fragile. Once it’s fired (assuming you’re using legit clay and not like sculpey clay) the counterweight will become pretty dense (maybe too dense for yoyoing). But it also runs a high risk of cracking/breaking into pieces if it hits the yoyo, or the ground, or even the user. Clay also shrinks when fired, so you would have to do test runs to make sure the counterweight hole doesn’t get too small once fired.

The plastic counterweights are reliable because they are more durable.

I’m not saying its a bad idea. It would be awesome to do it for your own personal use, but I don’t think they’re the smartest choice of counterweight.

Have fun if you do make them. And be sure to let us know how they turn out :slight_smile:

1 Like

The reason I wanted to use clay was so I could make some neat shapes and patterns into it. I’ll probably test numerous kinds (including sculpey) to see what’s stronger. I’ve also considered making wooden cubes as the base to make it stronger and lighter. (possibly even all wood yoyo weight things could work)

I’ll also not call them Counter-Weights.

Maybe. I would possibly pay 1 to 2 dollars for one + shipping.

It’s not a bad idea.

I would contact Duncan and ask them if they mind. Maybe you could call them something else.

Honestly, even if I did do 5A, I wouldn’t buy this product. For tricks such as Nunchuk, it would just plain hurt, LOL. Not to mention, it would probably cost as much as a 3-pack of Duncan counterweights.

I had a clay counter weight from YYN forums, called a “dimple die”

It was durable to a point, but I feel sort of “restricted” playing 5a while being careful not to shatter the CW.

So, no, I’ll probably stick to plastic CW’s.

Plus the fact that even if you call them a different name (Spintop Button *hint *hint), Duncan will still come after you when you do decide to sell them. You could give them away for free though, LOL, but as for turning a profit, I don’t think it would be a great idea.

1 Like

Sorry, but I wouldn’t buy them. I would constantly be afraid of breaking them, you know?

Both of these are very good replies. I would probably feel the same way.

And, with my grip, I could break one just do a counterweight trick. :smiley:

Very interesting information here. In your experience, how easily can he maintain a consistent weight, from piece to piece, using clay?