Wood is Good

Btw do you mean combining coconut oil and beeswax first then apply, or I can use either one just fine? Can beeswax be applied directly by rubbing on the surface?

I do not know for sure, but, you could try a place like JoAnn Fabrics.

You need to mix them together with heat as the beeswax will not mix or be applicable otherwise. Put them in an empty soup can, then put that container in a sauce pan with water turn up the heat. Stir and apply after cool enough (not too cool otherwise it will harden before you can apply it).

1 Like

http://shop.yoyoexpert.com/product/1108/O.U.T.-Wooden-Yo-Yo-Feed

Thanks, actually figured that out by Googling a bit. Going to order some beeswax and coconut oils, they are not too expensive here.
In the meantime, I tried palm oil (cooking oil) and it does fine getting the wood color out and dries very well, wouldn’t really call it a “finish” though. I hope beeswax can add a little shine and I heard they had sweet smell depending on what the bees consume.

So I tried the beeswax+coconut oil, my mom made the coconut oil herself, now my yoyo smells like grilled coconut (which is probably a good thing) but I rather have less odor if I could. In fact there is a traditional food in here that smells exactly like it, feels like I wanna eat the yoyo :-X
Are virgin coconut oil smell more like coconut than grilled coconut or just basically the same?

I’m planning in buying a Baldwin soon so I have to ask if there is anything else I should get. I know I need to get some cotton strings, should I just get the normal or type 10 though?

1 more thing. Have any of y’all massed around with the pagoda style? I saw it on Spencer Berry’s Instagram. It seems kinda interesting.

@rizki_yoist I think that smell is because as you say, it is not virgin, which effects the oils. That’s pretty awesome that your mom made you coconut oil! ;D

@DrAwesome I prefer the type 10 YYE sells.

After browsing for a while think I should go with the refined one. Even if I use virgin coconut oil I’ll still have the toasted smell since I mixed it with beeswax which requires heating. I read somewhere that vco will still have toasted smell if heated.

Since the last time I posted here, the ones I finish with coconut oil+beeswax were starting to have fungi on it, I tried cleaning them a bit then in just a few days they come back, now I’m worried.

well that sucks.

Recently acquired a Hildy Brothers Currier. I planned on the baldwin but it was out of stock at the time. So far I’m loving it. I have the trapeze to trapeze and brother stall repeater down and am working on getting some of the normal tricks (matrix, suicides, split the atom) clean so nothing snags on me. It’s a lot of fun and definitely a change of pace from the normal unresponsive luxury. The Currier is really nice. I love the way the engraving looks and how it feels in the hand. It’s the perfect weight and feel. Great job on their part. So far wood has me hooked.

Which did you get? Padauk or Purpleheart?

Has anyone heard about Jensen making fixed axles? Anyone know how they’re coming along? Looking forward to eventually trying one if they’re ever released.

I’m going to have to look into this. I know there was a Jensen edition of the Currier, but haven’t heard anything about him producing his own.

Yeah he was selling some of the “B Grades” he made on Facebook a few months ago. Haven’t heard any more though. His fixed axle video is pretty cool, I believe he is using one of his fixed axles in that.

Haven’t seen it. I’ve seen everything Ed has and all the stuff of Spencer’s I can find. I’ll have to do a search and check it out.

What the heck.  That last trick I don’t even get.

Great Thread.

ya i picked one up. it plays pretty good