Wood is Good

Fantastic Descriptions for sure.

I got to get me one of them non-conformists…

And the other two of course!

I bought a TMBR! Lets see what this wood thing is about. I hope it is better then my 15 year old Duncan wood yoyo. :wink:

I wanted a Fremont but “settled” for a Baldwin. If I enjoy the wood I think an OUT might be in my future.

I forgot to mention that I bought the tmbr to compare it to my monstrosity of a homemade wood butterfly!

I made it on a metal lathe lol.

Nicely carved Jon. That is a beastly looking throw.

I know a lot of fixie players are all hot for TMBR, I personally fell in Love with the OUT Pocket Love.
I still like my TMBR’s but my Purpleheart Pocket Love is my Main throw.

Love love love my TMBR Baldwin. It’s a great throw. Easy to play and looks great, simple and practical.

That is a Duncan tournament imperial that I stripped the paint off of and converted to butterfly with steel take apart axle. It plays much better then before. Next step is to make some wood axle sleeves to adjust the gap width. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have the OUT Just for Fun which I really like but I am thinking about getting the TMBR Baldwin to compare the two.

I have been playing with my new Baldwin and I am having trouble landing kwijibo and black hops. Any time there is any slack the yoyo comes back. Do I need to learn how to do the tricks with no slack? Or should I try to break the yoyo in more? I do have the gap widened quite a bit.

I love this throw! Now I need to get a Sullivan and some OUT to try.

It’s a great yoyo. Agreed.

As far as Black Hops… don’t beat yourself up too much. I don’t think a whole lot of people on the planet can hit that on a fixed axle.

I figure it takes years to learn I might as well start now.

What is the preferred method to break in a new axle? I have just been throwing it.

I tried searching but couldn’t find any good guides.

Short of opening the gap farther is there anything I can do to make it less snappy? I am hoping that playing it will wear it down and smooth it out. I have 1000 grit sand paper and I am thinking about sanding the response area but I am afraid I might mess it up.

I have the Baldwin and love it, got it here with 100 #10 cotton strings and plowing through them since I am really loving this thing. Kwijibo, really? Dang… I’ll try it now.

Getting into wood a bit so I ordered a Hildy Higby 2 weeks ago from their site and am still waiting. I sent an email a week ago and they claimed to have “messed up” with the mailing and dropped it in the mail that day, 5 days ago… I then ordered some stuff from here on Saturday and it got to me on Monday…

I have patience but if I don’t get a response with a tracking number by tomorrow I’m filing a refund request with Paypal. I got a “mailed” email from paypal a day after they claimed to have sent it followed by a mail cancelled email with “label didn’t print”…

Very disappointed right now with the customer service and you can bet this is the first and last time I order from them. I’ll stick to YYE since André always has amazing customer service.

Landed kwijibo :slight_smile: the trick was string tension so loose that it borders on sumo style. I just about had to bind to get it to come back. :slight_smile: Black hops still eludes me…

Don’t settle for that. Kwyjibo, Spirit Bomb, Suicides, Hooks, Kamikaze, Black Hops, and almost anything imaginable CAN be hit on fixed axle AND with a flyaway dismount. Remember those tricks were developed when bearing yoyo’s were still snappy and responsive. The issue is not string TENSION alone. It’s about keeping the string from going slack anywhere near the gap! Technique.

3 Likes

I did it with more tension and a flyaway dismount! I kept pulling my hands apart slowly as I did the trick to keep constant tension. This is a new level of difficult!

Also Ed, my knuckles hate you and your fancy stalls.

1 Like

I just shipped off 2 boxes of Once Upon a Tree fixes this afternoon. I have three new shapes coming, as well as some beautiful limited editions; I think you guys will really dig them.
Thanks to everyone on this thread who have said kind words about my throws :slight_smile:

2 Likes

How are the zeekio cotton strings they sell on Amazon? A guy is offering me something from Amazon for some of my strings- they are cheap, bright colored, and come in 100 packs… Anyone ever tried them? If not, are there any better bulk cotton you can get on Amazon?

1 Like

Awesome, Cant wait to grab some.
I hope I get a chance at some of the Limited Editions :slight_smile:

Ed…

I missed your 3-in-1 blog post by about 2 days and was bummed to see them all sold out. Dumb question, I know, but is there any chance of more to come? The design and carving looked fantastic. I’d say it was the best original NJ carving design I’ve seen since the good old days. Certainly, the carving depth looks much better than any of the recent stuff I’ve seen. Anyway, I’m hopeful that we might see more…

Landed Kwijibo on my Baldwin… woot!

I missed the Ed 3 in 1 by a few hours… bummed, but the baldwin really is that good. Love love love it.

The Hildy came in, pretty nice throw. I like wood.

1 Like

I wanted an undersized organic so I made one. :slight_smile:

3 Likes