Why yellow?

Although in his downtime, he’s probably not as concerned; the Puffin he put in my hand had a nice construction-wear orange Ammo string on it!

I’m actually finding yellow tricky to see in some situations lately. When I’m practicing, I’m often facing a white or off-white wall… the virtual “audience” would probably appreciate my yellow string more, but for me to see a suicide, a dark colour actually works better.

But that’s strictly a specific situation.

In general, neon yellow indeed shows up best in the largest number of scenarios, and I just like the way it looks on a yoyo anyhow… purely from an aesthetics point of view, neon yellow yoyo string is great!

That’s how I’ve been lately too. I would have Yellow on but it’s hard to see over my light colored hardwood floors so I change to Orange and then my family room has black floors so I use green or Yellow.

Strange thing about human anatomy:

Most yellows are actually more visible because the retina of our eyes is tuned to see mid-long wavelengths of light the best. The wavelengths and ranges of each of the three cones of the retina escape me now, but yellow is actually given a priority due to our biology.

Do you know why caution signs on the road are yellow and black? Well, kinda because of that biological fact.

Also, when a string is dyed to make it colored, the dye makes the material become more voluminous (“puff up”), more rigid, or give greater tinsel strength. It can also have the opposite effect on the aforementioned properties.

Maybe the yellow die makes the string stick to hands or fingers less.

In conclusion, more research is needed.

-Jacob

Darker colored strings don’t play as well in my opinion. Yellow and white play the best.

well this how i see it.

most performers use it because of the reasons doc said. most of the rest do because the performers use them, or for the same reasons they do, then in a less common case people just flat out like that color best.

it ends up with a lot of people using it.

I agree it’s really visible, but sometimes I get bored of it so then I use pink which looks pretty cool with certain throws. But I like to switch my strings to different colors :slight_smile:

I have bad eyes and do better with bright string. If you can see the darker strings, no reason not to use them if you like them.