Why so many Mint YoYos?

Yeah, it helps tremendously that I don’t wear hand/wrist or finger jewelry to begin with.

1 Like

No damaged yo-yo for me.
I wear nothing but a pair of board shorts. And I stand on a paddle board in the exact center of my swimming pool.
No
Piercings, no watch, no bracelet, no necklace, nuthin…

But, I do wear: a flak jacket, a tactical Kevlar helmet, a twin 45 shoulder holster, a Bowie knife, mace, an Asp telescoping baton, 8 extended 45 mags, a canteen of Gatorade, water purification tablets, night vision goggles and a gas mask(just in case there is an emergency during my 5 minute throwing session).

Gotta keep those yoyos pretty…

6 Likes

I approve!

P.S. you are a little too complicated … you should simplify your life, for the next Christmas I will give you an air-conditioned padded room so, playing in it naked, you will not need anything else.

2 Likes

But if I did that.

I would be just like you😉

3 Likes

yeah, that’s a great thing!
You think, the padded room and playing naked, have allowed me to enjoy some yoyo with very rare colors and to keep them immaculate until today.
if it seems like a small thing !!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

beware the nad-basher whilst playing in the nude… if you tend to hit your belt buckle, the family jewels aren’t that much further away… jus’ sayin’

6 Likes

it is a risk that improves the precision of the movements and the concentration in the execution! :grin: :wink:

3 Likes

Agreed…

The last thing I want to do is throw my 1A around and take the chance of smacking it into my Triple A. That would make me double(2a) over four(4a) five(5a)minutes.

Ouch!

5 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:This would make some quality youtube.

Like others in this thread have said, its easy enough to obtain pre-dinged yoyos and I have plenty to use when there’s risk of damage. If it’s in good shape, I still play it, but I play it over carpet or grass. I like to take care of my stuff.

When I see some high dollar yoyo that has been beat to death I wonder what was going through the mind of the previous owner(s). It seems to me if you could afford to spend something like that you could afford to have some beaters to use as hockey pucks or whatever they were doing.

I grabbed an anglam off another BST a couple months ago, its only 3 years old but it looks like somebody played 5A (very badly) over chip sealed asphalt using a big chunk of welding slag as a counter weight. I picked it up for a fraction of what it would otherwise be worth. To the yoyo’s credit it plays smooth after replacing the axle.

1 Like

You’re all a bunch of wimps. Practicing yoyo while naked ain’t nothing unless you do it while riding a skateboard down a gravel hill.

1 Like

I can tell you what was probably going through their minds: It’s just a toy.

2 Likes

Lol true. I UNDERSTAND guys hoarding pieces like old G2 swirls as art pieces but Ive been told personally by some brand owners, they love seeing their yoyos getting dinged. It is what they were meant for. Not to collect dust.

That said, its not hard to not ding your good yoyos. My tishee is still prestine. I use it everynight. But i dont practice new stuff on it. I dont play it over concrete. Itll get dinged probably one day but my “beater” yoyos are what i take over concrete and learn reverse brent stoles in the wind.

2 Likes

I’d argue they were meant for doing yoyo tricks. Getting dinged up and scratched may be a common side-effect of being played, but it isn’t what yoyos are meant for. I don’t quite get why manufacturers would want to romanticize damage that way. Damage can be as much a sign of careless disregard as intense dedication, perhaps moreso.

Now, some styles, like 3A, can lead to a lot of yoyo damage, especially when learning, just by nature of the style. However, the damage-free state of all my (metal) 1A yoyos testifies to the fact that 1A is not a style where damage is inevitable. And for 1A tricks with a high probability of damage during the learning phase, well, that’s where inexpensive plastic yoyos really earn their keep.

1 Like

Thats kind of a round about way of what i was getting at.

1 Like

i had 2 hawks, a pink one and the throwers hawk. now that i’ve sold the pink one, i get much more pleasure using the throwers hawk…

2 Likes

Have you ever dinged a yoyo so hard you smelled burnt ano? That happened when i was learning reverse brent stole.
A yoyo like that mecha viszilla i can understand as a collectors piece. I never TRY to ding my yoyos. But if i had the money for a Lamborghini… I would be driving it like I stole it. Naw mean jelly bean?

3 Likes

I don’t like making sacrifices for vanity, and I don’t mind I don’t mind signs of use as long as they don’t effect the functionality. Besides, anytime I show someone a yoyo it’s spinning, and you can’t really see damage on a spinning yoyo.

3 Likes

My yo-yos are pretty mint. The wood floor where I stand to practice is not.

1 Like

There are a few Dynamics of yo-yo economics to consider.

• rarity
  • demand
  • buy/ sell/ or trade

Yoyos have value that can be leveraged on the secondary market in different ways.

If someone knows what they want, and are patient enough, they can use the value of a mint condition yoyo to “fish” for what they want.

If someone wants a specific model, they can leverage a mint condition, community acclaimed yoyo as bait to draw out the potential customers. Aka “trade bait”.

Yo-yos that are mint, or near mint can be leveraged a lot more than yo-yos with any kind of defect.

Some people have the resource to buy multiples, and enjoy fishing the market with them to try new things. So they will keep one if they actually like it, and use the other as bait.

It’s not usually a sinister thing, and in most cases I presume that transactions such as these are mutually beneficial.

On a side but related note: even though it I don’t often have “mint” condition yo-yos, I have cycled through about 70-80 different yoyo models over the course of about 3 years.

I currently have a pretty decent sized collection ~20 yoyos.

I don’t think I have actually purchased more than 15 or so with cash; and only about 10 of those were purchased brand new.

I have been able to make pretty good use of the second hand yo-yo market, and it’s all about leveraging value for value.

7 Likes