Why NOT Higby?

I’m curious as to why anything with art from Jon Higby is “Sought after”

I’m fairly “new” to Yo-ing (started collecting in April)
And since I started I always see throws done in a “Higby edition” and to be completely honest I can’t see the appeal :grimacing: Like I don’t know why I’d pay extra for something I could legit get my 5 year old to paint :grimacing:
Idk it could be a “hot take” but it’s just my overall opinion on any “Higby” art I’ve seen this far :joy:

But let me know if IDK …Jon Higby did something for the yoyo community that has made his art “sought after” or just let me know WHO he is and why people are cool with their paying more for their throws to look like a toddler drew on em :rofl:

9 Likes

Huh :thinking: must be new here

10 Likes

Aside from an impressive resume as a yoyo performer (https://www.yoyoshow.com/resume), John is a heck of a nice guy who openly shares his time and talent with the community. His art has a unique style, you can usually tell a Higby piece by looking at it. Like all art, it is subjective, it is OK if you don’t like it, or want it on your yoyo or wall.

Some of us consider John a friend, many of us know that John is a man who would drop everything to help anyone. A few of us have been at contests where a new yoyo player freezes when they walk onto the stage and John amazingly unfreezes the player and opens up a new world for them (I can think of one college aged, sponsored player I personally witnessed this).

Maybe, aside from all of this, Higby’s whimsical art just makes an already fun toy even more fun and special for some of us.

31 Likes

I 100% am and am genuinely curious in an “please educate me so I can understand WHY”

3 Likes

Thank you for your answer, I’ve ONLY started collecting in April, and was genuinely curious :grin:it’s not my “cup of tea” but I can understand why people would like to support someone who puts so much into the community, and NOW that I know a brief summary of “who and why” I’m happy to ALSO support “Jon Higby” and would be more into anything of his that isnt “faces” like the “geometric pattern ones”

To be honest the ONLY thing prior to this , that I read regarding “Jon Higby” (on here,I think :thinking:)

I believe Was about a Kickstarter for a yoyo that was gonna be released by him , and “supposedly” even though it reached its goal with “preorders” or “promises of getting said throw IF you donated” it never did come out and there was some pretty salty people that “Claimed” they put a decent amount of money into the Kickstarter.

But as my mother always said “Believe NONE of what you hear and only HALF of what you see”

4 Likes

Higby’s art kind of has a vibe like Keith Haring’s. Seems simple but super recognizable and has its own feel and joy. Pairs well with yoyo.

18 Likes

His art is simple in appearance, but his use of color and space to create an overall engaging piece is really nothing that any 5 years old could put together. And if your 5 years old is doing anything like his latest stuff you need to get that kid into an art program ASAP. :grin:

Check his instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/yoyopeople/

25 Likes

Just goes to show that art is subjective. I don’t get Pollack or other abstract artists, so I can’t judge that his art doesn’t appeal to you.

The way you put it was pretty condescending though. So you might want to evaluate how you came at this topic from the start.

I love pop art, and have collected a few Higby pieces. I enjoy his use of color, his boldness of line, and his sense of whimsy. He has a unique and distinct voice. So that’s what grabs me. I also love how he is woven throughout recent yoyo history including the 1000 run of Duncan FHZ he hand painted and numbered and I believe a World Record for knocking quarters off people’s ears with a looper.

Stick around a while and you’ll realize why Higby is a name and a style that is beloved by many.

18 Likes

It’s kind of akin to a new surfer wondering why anyone in the surf community would listen to a Jack Johnson record, because said new surfer is into metal and hates that hippy crap. I mean JJ was a pro level surfer, does a metric ton to promote the surf community and to preserve ocean environments… and oh yeah, he’s a talented, successful musician whether you like his stuff or not.

Higby’s even MORE beloved in our community because he’s one of the most successful professional yo-yo demonstrators EVER, a world champion in AP, and he’s been an active part of the scene for 25+ years, painting up yo-yo’s and “Mr. Yodel” art all the while. Honestly, also, if your 5 year-old has cultivated an artistic style of their own as inimitable as Higby’s, congrats - you’ve got a super talented kid there, and I’m sure they’ll be collaborating w Tame Impala any day now! :wink:

The short answer is because the dude is simply awesome, super approachable, and he’s given back more to yo-yoing than he’s ever taken.

39 Likes

One of my favorite new pieces…

35 Likes

I see you @bobafret! Here is mine!!! :grin:

28 Likes

This kind of art is nowhere near as easy to make as it may look. The colour blending is very well done, and the shading requires a decent knowledge of how light would react to differently shaped objects. Judging by how they look, the pictures probably weren’t done digitally, so mistakes can be hard to fix. Great stuff. Love the whole vibe. I can understand if his art style’s not your thing, though.

9 Likes

#1 lives here - notice the cutouts in the frame on the Jensen print - from one of the stop-motion vids he made.

And @Berndog25 good eye this art was hand done in marker on art paper (not sure of the specific brands but had the pleasure of seeing “in progress” on this series)

17 Likes

Untitled-32

Oh and he also made this sweet logo for our local yoyo club just cuz he’s awesome! Line art by Higby - tie dye background chosen for stickers and such plus it looks RAD!!!

I think this thread is more like “Why NOT Higby!?”

19 Likes

I don’t in any way think that Higby’s art is “easy” to make. Nevertheless, art doesn’t need to be difficult to create in order for it to have meaning, purpose and impact.

7 Likes

ah yes, a 5 year old level painting lol /s

That is absolutely sick.

6 Likes

I, too, just got back into the scene in April and this is the first I’ve ever heard of Higby! Interesting thread!

Ivan

7 Likes

And just because something looks simple does not mean it was a simple task to get to the finished piece that people will see.

13 Likes

Hey fren,

I appreciate you making a post and asking. Never let your curiosity die! Alot of people are coming at you pretty strong, maybe your wording wasn’t the best on this heart tugging topic, that’s okay. :smiley:

And heck if you don’t like higby art. That’s perfectly fine too!

Just wanted to shed positivity as these threads can often get harsh

Higby to me was on the original CLYW campfire. Higby edition was the hottest hot pink. the POPping color really spoke to me even as a solid and I had to have one! I left the scene for about a decade (2011-2020) came back, and Higby really ran with the direction that we all see and love now.

This is just my exposure and I think it’s really wonderful to see a yoyoer provide not only for our community but for art communities as well.

An absolute treasure

12 Likes

PREACH. As a musician, people will be like “oh this song is mediocre it’s so simple” OH OKAY GO RECORD IT THEN :roll_eyes: Beauty in the simplicity

5 Likes