Black yoyoers appreciation

Can we please just take a moment to acknowledge all the great contributions to yoyoing from African Americans and black people, and let them know that we appreciate them?

You make yoyoing better, whether up on stage at a pro level, innovating tricks, as yoyo manufacturers, or just being a part of the yoyo community. THANK YOU, we love y’all. :pray::heart:

EDIT: Please make sure to look 2 posts below to find an amazing list of yoyoers, done by the great @EOS44, with lots of links to appreciate.

32 Likes

Mark Montgomery… a genius!
Armani Gentles Williams… very flow!

12 Likes

I’ll gladly make a list for this thread.

Please let me know if I missed anyone!

23 Likes

Rick Wyatt!
An amazing player, a force of nature throwing a sleeper, a 3a pioneer, and a friend to all. Someone I’ve looked up to for years (and not just because he towers over me). Just a great human being.

Love this thread, and love how much more diverse and inclusive yoyoing in the US has become, though WE STILL HAVE FAR TO GO.

20 Likes

At risk of getting skewered, my two cents: Given current events, I can see how this might violate the forum’s “no politics” policy. On the other hand, we did recently have a thread focused on female yoyoers develop with, if I recall, no issues. So…

5 Likes

Honestly I don’t see how either of those threads can’t exist on this forum. Nothing wrong about appreciating women in the community, nothing wrong with appreciating black players in the community.

15 Likes

Fair enough. But let’s respect anyone whom throws. Right?

3 Likes

tbh that’s goes without saying, on any circumstance.

Added, ty.

9 Likes

Of course the timing of this topic is weighted due to current events. As Ed said, we have made progress but there is still a long way to go!

My intention is not to start an overtly political thread at all, but I think it is absolutely an appropriate time to show appreciation for the great contributions of black yoyoers here. If now isn’t when is?

Thank you for participating in the good spirit and intention of this thread and giving an extra shout out today to black yoyoers that deserve our respect and appreciation. Extra thanks to @EOS44 for the list of yoyoers, that was awesome, and @edhaponik for mentioning Rick Wyatt!

13 Likes

Made a parallel post on r/Throwers inspired by this.

6 Likes

Added some players.

4 Likes

Cheers, thank you good sir! :smile:

1 Like

Added more.

Preach it.

8 Likes

forgive me, but in my opinion you are a little exaggerating, what is irrespectful and offensive in this?

Are we reading and talking about the same thoughts or did I miss something?

3 Likes

The bottom line is this: most things white (lives, athletes, pop culture, etc.) have always been valued in US history while many things black have not. So while it’s a given that white X is valued generally, it’s been an ongoing process to have black X viewed and treated equally. The defense mechanism that rejects the specific cause and resorts to “all” thus lumps an “already matters” in society with something that there’s an ongoing struggle to get recognized as such.

11 Likes

Hi, Your intention is clear and peaceful, since the first line you write … but not everyone seems to see it like this … and I am not referring to @Grendel but at this

(reading this, I could be led to think that you only do it because at this moment the times are difficult for them … see what happens to want to misrepresent or force the sense of the thoughts of others …)

@EOS44Please be wise about what you say.
great advice, I will treasure it … and you should do the same!

2 Likes

ANTHONY GREER!!! Ant.Man!
Phenomenal creative player from Georgia and a great dude. Killer frontstyle!

17 Likes

and Stefan Benjamin … aka Magl33to, do we want to talk about it?

12 Likes

Oooh perfect! I just came back to post MAGL33TO also!

2 Likes

one of the videos that most enjoyed me!

8 Likes