Why NOT Higby?

Ooh this one!

17 Likes

I hadn’t seen his art until just now. I gotta say I’m a fan. Those colors are awesome

6 Likes

I also want to know how people could like the color blue. I mean blue is everywhere it’s so boring.

4 Likes

First time I met John he had just taken a 15 mile ride on a unicycle to a contest about 23 years ago. I was lucky enough to travel with him on more than one occasion and always left with a glow of positive energy. I guess his art is a way of getting some of that positivity when you aren’t lucky enough to be around him.

26 Likes

Ok IF I seen stuff like THIS my opinion would’ve DEFINITELY been different, i based my assessment on the throws with “Weird faces” and the little dudes that look like “Canadians” from South Park “:sweat_smile:

I most DEFINITELY could’ve went about wording it better :sweat_smile:I was just SO salty that someone was charging 40-50$ more than the retail value of a throw just to have a “weird face dude “ on it

But this is EXACTLY why I started the thread so that I could be educated by the community Mr.Higby clearly put so much into , and NOW that I’ve had the time to read all the wonderful things this man has done for COUNTLESS individuals in the community I’m MORE THAN HAPPY to ALSO support Mr.Higby by purchasing stuff with his art on it , As I said in my first reply WAY up there :point_up_2:t5: lol I’ll have to find something of his that isn’t the little “face dudes” , I seen an overthrow that had a geometric pattern and I really liked that :man_shrugging:t5:

13 Likes

After looking through a “catalogue” of Mr.Higby’s different art I could DEFINITELY appreciate the somewhat “psychedelic” feel to some of his pieces , and as someone who regularly partakes in psilocybin induced “vision quests” :rofl: I would LOVE to have one of THOSE paintings on my wall :rofl::joy::rofl:

My initial assessment was for throws with faces
that looked like THIS ! Lol

5 Likes

Thank you for linking this ! I’m STILL trying to learn to read/type with “my foot in my mouth” :rofl:

5 Likes

I think it’s alright. John has always said that he knows his art is not for everybody. You kinda walked into a buzz saw because there are few people as esteemed and yo-yoing as him, but it takes time to know who is who and how tiny the yoyo world is.

This thread had me scanning my place/collection for some of my Higby stuff.

25 Likes

Wow :hushed: well , the community can watch for the first YoYoer who performs 1legged WITH the other foot in his mouth :sweat_smile:
Because that sure is a BEAUTIFUL collection of stuff you linked there :grin:
Thank you for helping educate me on “who” this man is and NOW can definitely see myself purchasing something with his art on it

16 Likes

I think it’s kinda awesome that this turned into a Higby appreciation thread!

23 Likes
6 Likes

Brings me back to the time at Worlds one year I joked to Alex Berenguel about how the trick “Brent Stole” was criminally overhyped and later complained about how “Ladder Escape” was ugly to Andre Boulay (the inventors of those respective tricks). Fortunately after Higby, those are the two nicest dudes out there and they were totally kind about it. :rofl:

14 Likes

I knew about that one, but there’s room for two!

4 Likes

I have a personal gripe with Brent Stole !!! It has all but halted the progression I was making with Hooks :rofl: NOW o only can land Brent stoles (so far lol)
I kinda “figured out” the “mechanics” of BS last night and have kinda been able to separate the 2 better than I could a few days ago :joy:

3 Likes

oh my god this top is glorious!

5 Likes

absolute YEET

3 Likes

John Higby is THE Man! The community just loves him, plain and simple.

32 Likes

EVER…GOAT!!!

I appreciate you Mr. Hopnik, nice array of Yodel swag.

4 Likes

Yes indeed…… and yet another monstrous shout out to the one and only ‘Mr. Hopnik’.

4 Likes

It is easy to criticize the artistic manifestations of another person.
It is difficult to express yourself and create artistic works with your own recognizable style.
There is no style or art that everyone likes.
The art of Higby it has a “naïf” touch that I like;)

5 Likes