Why no big-O shape bi-metals?

Not so much an advantage as a different feel in play.

2 Likes

The reason why most, myself included, enjoy the feel of an organic is because they are much more sassy on the string. You really have to work on cleaning up your play style when using an organic, because they’re not typically as forgiving as other shapes. It’s like, learning a trick is challenging; learning a trick on an organic shaped yo-yo is even more challenging.

Not every organic yoyo is going to be unstable and unforgiving. For instance, the bump will make an organic yoyo more stable than one that doesn’t have the bump.

The Markmont classic has a bump; the magic yoyo V2 avocado does not have a bump.

Screenshot_20180822-150429 Screenshot_20180822-150954

7 Likes

Also compare 2013 onedrop benchmark O… and 2016 benchmark O

6 Likes

Wouldn’t that mean that organics with a bit of power-up from some SS rings would be the best of both worlds? All the comfort; but with increased performance?

2 Likes

Check out the Smashing Yoyo Spectacle.

Not “big” but an organic bimetal. Fun yoyo for sure.

1 Like

Could it be something to do with weight and weight distribution? I’ve noticed my organics tend to feel heavier than my other throws, even though they’re smaller for the most part.

2 Likes

If it was just about “feel and comfort”, you might be right. However, I think that’s only part of it.

I think this is the crux. Using a bimetal design would tend to take an organic away from what are its usual desired characteristics. The Bump probably does that somewhat, but probably not to the extent much more rim weight does.

I tend to think that organics put me more in control, and have more character. If you start trying to make it “have more performance” then you might as well use another shape. Maybe that’s why we have those hybrid shapes, to give those gradients in between.

Maybe the Gorge is different? Another “High Performance” organic is the Ricochet. It’s got that pure organic shape, but has a super powerful spin. However I think in general, so much rim weight doesn’t jive with the “organic nature”.

2 Likes

I might be changing that soon :shushing_face:

9 Likes

Yoyos like the Top Deck, Anomaly, Gravitas, and Lust are all what I call “semi-organic” or semi-O. They have very rounded profiles that are almost, sorta organic but not really O in a traditional sense. The Top Deck isn’t a bimetal, but the other three are, and so far they are the closest I’ve found to a bimetal with organic shape aesthetics. Still, I wouldn’t say they were O-shaped.

2 Likes

… Sassy?

… Character?

… Huh?

1 Like

Yeah, as in easy to steer. Typically a little bit less stable than your other shapes that don’t have high walls. They tend to tip out of plane easier if your technique is sloppy. Another side effect of sloppy technique on a high wall organic yoyo is that it kills your spin time because of the friction between the string and the yoyo.

You know, sassy. They are more sensitive, so you need to accommodate their attitude.

Compared to more competition style yo-yos that are more forgiving and super stable and spin for days.

2 Likes

See bell shape :bell:

2 Likes

I think the Blockade kinda qualifies already, and it’s amazing!

1 Like

Looks like there is a new one out there now.

5 Likes

Yes indeed.

2 Likes

I’m not sure

1 Like

Ooo im liking this. But that price hurts

3 Likes

I don’t really like O-Shapes, I prefer Hard V’s to H’s

1 Like

That’s perfectly fine, more O’s for me!

3 Likes

I want to show you guys but don’t think I should :laughing: