Why have sharp points on yoyos?

So I got to try a few new throws the other day and I’m wondering. Why do some yoyos have those spikes in the middle? When I’m playing with an object that spins very fast and is it constant contact with(or near) my fingers, I don’t really want something sharp. What happens if you try a thumb grind?

No worries I have alot of em.
They dont really hurt you
Heck they make it better in a way.
I use the sharp points as hubstacks!
To answer your queston I do not know
My theory is it’s either for Design or It just a finishing touch.
Of course most yoyos Either have HUBS or CAPS.

SPYY uses them as a trademark thingy.

One Drop has SE’s for added weight and the you can use them for matador

Also, Spikes just make your yoyo look 198743987349864387% more awesome

1 Like

They’re often referred to as “Matador Spikes,” matador style being the precursor to hubstacks, in which you could grip the spikes of the yoyo and do some tricks.

Thumb grinds, as long as you aren’t unreasonably timid and have some motor control, are not a problem at all.

well the werrd rhino has little spiky things so how can it be a SPYY thing only?

Spyy is famous for them, but a number of yoyos have them. The hugo-z-hor has the extremely sharp spikes for example.

I thought it was Rhinoplasty, what happened?

to hurt your enemies

Makes them look macho!

I think the polished aluminum spikes in my 54 really “finish” the look for that yoyo.

My Corli Prototype and Beysick also use spikes.

Usually it’s just a stylish way to finish off the area where the axle goes. My RecRev Sharp is FLAT, so it uses a super short axle.

CLYW seems to just flatten them off, which is fine too. Some are rounded off. I have no real preference. I mean, I like keeping caps in the yoyos that use caps, so what do I know, right?

My Littles has some small spikes that I’ve been able to pull start with. It’s interesting seeing how long it actually spins without any moving parts, just a sharp point and your finger.

It could be worse, imagine a yoyo whose rims are lined with razor blades or have the edges of a rotary blade…Imagine catching that at full speed! Ouch!

I also think the spike allow the axle to extend further which prevents stripping and adds more weight to the edge.

Adds weight to the hub.

Jayyo would like that

I’m going to sharpen my Genesis now…

Hmm. I have some 4" angle grinder disks used to cut tile and some for metal too. Anyone need 'em for their 4a throw?

Nah, got a belt grinder that I use to make knives, I’m good.

They are simply matador spikes, they are there to do matador tricks.

Any other explanation is only for those who can not do matador tricks.