Why are there finger spin bumps on some yoyos?

why are there fingerspin bumps on some yoyos like yyf IQ? don’t they hurt fingerspins?

1 Like

Because it shouldn’t matter too much if you are good enough at finger spins? (I am not.)

5 Likes

The “bump” allows for a longer axle which generally means more durability. Just because the cup isn’t a centering design doesn’t mean it won’t be good at fingerspins. I personally prefer fingerspins on a non centering design where I can feel the gyroscopic effects.

7 Likes

The more relevant question I’d like to ask:
Why are there laser engravings on so many fingerspin cups?

It’s a haptic nightmare.

19 Likes

This relates back to my opinion that if you can only finger spin on a “fingerspin” yoyo (like myself) then you don’t really know how to finger spin. (e.g. you haven’t mastered the “dead finger” technique required)

6 Likes

I learned to fingerspin some Beeboo POS. Now I can fingerspin anything.

3 Likes

See: Duncan GTR JS, you see that feature a lot with thin wall designs to pull weight away from the inner geometry, but there still needs to be enough material on center for the axle to thread in.

This is also mostly an educated guess, Im curious to other possiblities

5 Likes

that’s exactly it (as far as my own designs go). it’s probably safe to assume it’s the primary reason for many other designs.

6 Likes

I love the shutter style cups!

I can’t seem to land on throws like my hummingbird. But when you do, good night!

2 Likes

Honestly my favorite throw to fingerspin is my Mystery by Unspoken.

It has a big spike in the center, but I find that that helps me hit the side cup better when catching. :+1:

Here are some pics of the spike I’m talking about… it doesn’t look that big on camera, but it’s really noticeable on a spin.

7 Likes

I found the IQ to be pretty easy to spin on honestly.

7 Likes

Finger spins are my specialty… as in one of the few things I think I’m good at and my favorite yo-yos to use have nipples/spikes on

1 Like

It spins nice on the outside of the middle hub too!

1 Like

This practice on the nipple yo-yos!

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I’ve been finger spinning my iQ a lot lately and thought I’d add to this. It’s really good at it! Almost easier than my Speedaholic which has a cup. It “locks in” immediately and what’s really nice is the width of the catch makes it easier to bind. I’ve picked up a few great throws since my iQ, but I think it’s still my favorite.

4 Likes