Finger Spins

What is the best yoyo to learn how to do finger spins? Thanks in advance.

3 Likes

I’m curious what other people have to say on this topic, but if you just want a yoyo that’s easy to do a fingerspin on, the Speedaholic XX is a really good option. Any yoyo with a massive dimple will make them very easy.

If you actually want to get good at fingerspins, so you’ll be able to do them on almost any yoyo, the Krown or any yoyo with a big flat inner cup will be a good option. I did my first fingerspins on a Speedaholic XX, but I couldn’t fingerspin any other yoyo until I learned how to do them on a Krown. I haven’t played one but the Shutter might be nicer to learn on since the cup is unengraved.

4 Likes

Some yoyos have specific dimples to facilitate finger spins, like the iceberg, or the shooting star. These are great to lock the finger spin, but you need to land in the right spot. For learning I think that open cups, and blasted surfaces like the yoyofriends sync, or the recognition may be better. They provide a nice stable spin without necessarily locking in, and they are more forgiving.

1 Like

Shooting start is amazing for finger spins! As far as learning them goes using a yo-yo with a bowl can help has it has a better catch zone.

2 Likes

I think that it is difficult to bind the finger spin in the shooting star. It spins well but when I try to bind the yoyo stops spinning immediately. It seems very sensitive to movement. Can you bind the finger spin in the shooting star?

1 Like

The winter solstice is really easy to do finger spins. That is what I learned on and my brother has been trying to learn finger spins for a long time and the only times he has done it have been on my winter solstice

1 Like

I can, the closer you put your hand to the yo-yo when wiping the more string it will have to catch.

2 Likes

Ok, thanks. I will try that.

1 Like

I learned a finger spin on an iyoyo iceberg. My yyf wedge also works well.

2 Likes

I learned on a Shooting Star. Didn’t have any issues doing the bind on it.

4 Likes

Well…its probably my bad technique. Thanks.

3 Likes

Could also be the string used, the response, etc. Or, yeah, technique, especially if one is at the learning stage.

2 Likes

I learnt on a Skyva and Almighty.

2 Likes

I learned on a Beeboo L1. Now I can fingerspin anything!

2 Likes

When I was learning to fingerspin, the hardest thing was learning to bind. So for me, a yoyo with spikes helped a lot (specifically, I used the Circle City Yoyos Muse) because you can pull start the spin using the spikes, then practice the bind. Learning to whip the string into the gap is hard, so using a yoyo that you can pull-start straight into a fingerspin lets you skip the step of throwing the yoyo and catching it in the spin, and instead focus on the hard part of getting the bind correct.

As for good fingerspin yoyos in general, I think the Metalhead from Rain City Skills is great. It has a wider catch area than most dimples, which makes it easier to catch and spins incredibly well. The Basilisk from Zero Gravity Return Tops has a great fingerspin dimple as well, as does the Skyva. All of these are great options, but I definitely recommend something with larger spikes to learn the bind.

3 Likes

I’ll assume that by learning how to do a fingerspin means that you’ll be able to fingerspin any yoyo. For that, I would recommend using any yoyo that has a bowl shaped cup like the YYF Horizon, SF SF, One Drop x SF SK among a lot of others. These yoyos would force you to learn the soft finger technique in order to get long enough fingerspins to bind the yoyo instead of having a rigid finger (only works on yoyos with fingerspin dimples like the iYoYo Shooting Star, Iceberg, Titanic and the C3 Speedaholic XX). For the binds, you don’t even need the yoyo to be spinning as most of the time, the bind fails due to missing the gap of the yoyo. So you can just hold the yoyo out using your finger and just practice whipping the string into the gap of the yoyo.

7 Likes

I can do the bind, no problem in other yoyos, for example the sync, the recognition, wa shutter, or the peregrine. But when I try to bind the shooting star the smallest movement of my hand makes the yoyo stop spinning even before completing the wiping motion. Its strange.

1 Like

By FAR the easiest yoyo Ive tried for finger spins is the-ZeroGravityReturnTops- Basilisk
No matter what angle you land it on your finger it ALWAYS centres into the dimple and the wider V -shape makes it fairly easy to bind it :grin:

It’s pretty much as long as you land it on your finger IT WILL glide into a smooth FS , if I’m correct @jeduardo specifically designed the cup of the Basilisk TO be almost a “mindless” finger spinning yoyo , and Kept the same design in the Basilisk-D

I have throws with dimples that are pretty hard to land a FS unless you land your finger RIGHT in the dimple completely horizontal, which is why I was SO impressed with the way the Basilisk just glides into FingerSpins with EASE!!!

5 Likes

I feel like you should use a yoyo that has a gradual cup design (like the horizon). It guides your finger that direction but isnt doing the work for you. This makes you have to learn the technique but still gives you the assist you need while learning.

3 Likes

The best finger spin yo-yo, IMO, is the Death Adder. It will finger spin as long as any finger spin yo-yo with a dimple, but it forces you to learn proper technique—less perfectly than a flat hub, but you’ll learn faster and you’ll be able to finger spin anything once you’re finger spinning the Adder flawlessly.

JMO YMMV HAND ETC

1 Like