'Why fixed axle?' you may well be thinking... We'll tell you why!

Nah, that’s really a holdover from the period when poly was just taking over and the strings were considerably thinner and the quality much lower (AND the wood/axles in the fixies available was way rougher). Gotta remember that before 2007 or so, full poly was junk with most players using slick (50/50) for modern 1a. If you want to see a string melt, grab a brand new russell and some ~2005 shiny white poly and try a couple Warp Drives (ideally near some windows).

With the standards/thickness of current poly string and the smoothness of modern wood, you’re just as safe throwing cotton as poly. I do prefer the feel of cotton with wood, but just because it’s what I’m used to.

6 Likes

I dunno man, the cotton string that came with this No Jive was broken well inside a day of throwing. I’m not down with cotton. Had too many bad experiences, too many needlessly damaged yo-yos. I’m fine with damage when it is my fault but a rando snapped string… ain’t my fault :wink:

Good to hear that poly is cool on modern wood axles though!

2 Likes

Well, it’s important to remember that you’ve got to watch strings much more closely on a fixed axle yoyo than on a bearing yoyo. They wear out due to the friction and will break, usually on a particularly hard throw. That’s how I banged up my old man’s No Jive on a double Around the World way back in the day.

But like Ed says, no reason not to use poly/blend strings on fixed axle if that is what works for you.

1 Like

I’m gonna try that on my wing Legend. Maybe the string won’t get so quickly scratchy although I read the axle and inside gap get smoother after awhile.