Why don’t string companies make all of their strings longer?

If you like long string, your choices are fairly limited.

Why don’t string companies just make all of their strings longer? I mean, those who prefer it shorter can always cut and adjust it but if you want it longer you are out of luck.

Since strings are essentially “one size fits all” you would think they would err on the side of longer.

I realize that longer string means they are a fraction more expensive but how much would it cost to make it just 3 inches longer?

I get this wouldn’t work for pre-looped string but most kinds aren’t pre-looped.

3 Likes

#longstringmafia

Airetic makes some of the looooooongest string I’ve tried so far

1 Like

Curious - what precise length are you looking for. Minimum of what to start with?

And specific string you are currently referencing?

2 Likes

Really long string length can be inconvenient to cut for people who prefer normal length.

Well right now I have a few versions of Kitty, sOMETHING, all of the YYSL types, YoYoRecreation and Blueprint and a few low budget ones.

So, if I can remember which is which:

sOMEThING, YoYoRecreation, Blueprint and almost all of the budget ones are too short. The YYSL ones are borderline, if I don’t do the knot right they are too short, the Kitty String is long enough.

That said, one of my friends likes Kitty XL so literally 90% of the string out there is too short for his taste.

What do you use? I’ve always thought your string in the tutorials looks pretty long.

3 Likes

So they just play a string at whatever length it comes in?

I’m a bit surprised that people would not be more specific about how long they like their string.

I mean, take pre-looped string like sOMEThING. Don’t you think it’s weird for that ONE length to be ok for EVERYBODY, even when one thrower is 5’11 and another might be 5’ 6”?

Anyway, I wouldn’t consider having to cut a string much of an inconvenience. It takes 2 seconds and requires less effort than it does to change the string in the first place.

Yes but I don’t want to take my scissors when leaving the house. I use Buddha XL, which is pretty long, but sometimes when I’m going somewhere I’ll keep kitty string with me so i don’t have to cut it

Just curious>

What specifically makes really long string inconvenient for people that use ‘normal’ length string?

I think just as many people are inconvenienced be getting strings that are not long enough…

If you get really long strings and you want them shorter. It doesn’t matter whether they are 9 feet long or 5 feet long.

You are only cutting once to get them short.

:thinking:

5 Likes

I mean they’re not that inconvenient. I use Buddha XL (which is quite long) and I cut it to the length I like. I was just giving a possible reason why string lengths are often pretty short.

But… you can just trim all the string at once when you get it, or at least 5 or 6 at a time…

Well put.

That’s kind of the point of my question, what’s the DOWNSIDE of making your strings a little longer if the result is that literally everyone can now use them?

I mean they do have to use more string, but I doubt that the extra string is costly enough to make much of a difference

The reality of it is there aren’t many players that use a string that is longer than what is currently made. If all string makers made their strings longer it would be to satisfy a very very small group at the makers expense.

1 Like

Only downside is for the Makers.

Let’s just say; for example; that average strings are 56 inches long.

So most everybody whines about them being too short.

So all the Makers start making strings that are 68 inches long.

So; now the strings are all 12 inches longer.

So without changing another thing; for every 13 strings made; the Makers are losing approx. 2 strings in potential sales. 13 times 12 equals 132.

I mean; seriously; no challenge whatsoever making strings longer. Material costs money.

I have no concrete information that potential waste of material in longer strings; is the actual answer for why many strings seem like they could come a little longer?

But for somebody like Kitty String(doing literally 1000’s of strings); I am sure that could be a contributing factor.

Personally; i think all strings should come minimum 66 inches long. And no pre-tied loop.

4 Likes

YYSL used to be shorter and most everyone was happy, but there were some requests for longer string. Unfortunately, I was limited by the length of the “string lab” room. Then, when it came time to move from that room, I took the longer requests into account (even though there were some players using the full length of the original and would now have to cut). I built the new lab to accommodate a longer string, and people seemed to be satisfied. Anyway, to make the strings even longer now, it wouldn’t just cost more in materials, but involve a rebuild of the setup.

13 Likes

I like your strings just the way they are.

2 Likes

This was my thought. It’s not a simple “oh, just add a couple inches,” but rather you’d have to build a whole new rig to make the string a few inches longer.

3 Likes

When did you change the length? Because some of the YYSL I have is a few years old.

Thanks for the info btw

1 Like

We changed it at the beginning of 2017, and the previous length stock was “shortly” sold out of YYE. The new length that had been going out was confirmed/announced in April 2017.

It is less about being inconvenienced than it is about it being convenient that the string comes at the exact size you want. You don’t need to measure from your old string; just tie off the knot at the end of the string and the length is already perfect.

3 Likes