Why does nats have to be so far?

Why would it need to move around the country to make it a “true” National contest? That makes zero sense.

What makes it a National contest is that the Regional winners are seeded into the finals of Nationals, and the winner of Nationals is seeded into the WYYC finals. Not because it happens all over the nation. Haha.

We should totally move PNWR to Montana next year, guys. Give some of the mid-west boys a shot at it.

First, there will -very- likely be a contest either the weekend before/after the july 4th weekend next year in orlando. It will likely be some version of a ‘north american’ contest.

As for nationals… it doesn’t have to move to be a real national… just has to be in the country.

Chico is a terrible location due to the difficulty/expense of getting there and the increasing hostility of the host hotel towards yoyo players. I can get to worlds and stay for a -week- (4 days of which, minimum, there are a ton of yoyo players there) for the same cost as going to nationals for a couple days… that’s nuts.

However, the people who host it live in Chico, and they get to host it in a location convenient to themselves. It’s possible it will move some day, but for now it won’t… either go, or pick one of the other large contests all across the country.

Kyle

2 Likes

One thousand times this! Major airport, cheap hotels, cheap food, places to chill. Someplace for the rest of the family to go have fun. There are obviously places I’d prefer, and places I’d find disappointing…but if it meets the above criteria, I’d still go.

-bpg

1 Like

If it moves to where you are then the people in Chico will be far away from it. Most pros must be from California or something.

I’ve always wanted to go to but it is too far. The US nationals should be in Canada. :wink:

Seems fair. Since you guys haven’t won a Stanley Cup since 1993…we’ve clearly taken your national event.

:stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

-bpg

Ouch…

Zorro, California is lovely. Chico just seems to be an especially expensive place to get to.

I just looked up some flights for this week. I’m sure people could come up with cheaper flights…but the ratio should be similar.

Boston-> Chico round trip: $962
Boston-> Minneapolis round trip: $585

Portland Oregon-> Chico round trip: $778
Portland-> Minneapolis round trip: $557

One way or another, it would be nice to see a national event at a fun, cost effective, and relatively centralized area.

-bpg

1 Like

You just explained DC!

Lol DC is packed with people as it is. They can’t fit a bunch of crazy yoyo players, someone is bound to get strangled or knocked out.

hey… I live in portland xD

NO!!! It can’t move! If it moved, then the National YoYo Museum wouldn’t be near the event! I want to go to Nationals really bad, LOL.

Oh yah, the museum is in Chico too. And a club…

I disprove of the idea of moving it around because I am greedy and live near it and I don’t want it to go somewhere else and if its too far away, then I’ll have to fly over, and If I have to fly over, then I’ll have to ask my parents, and if I ask my parents, they may say no, but if they say I’ll have to earn it by getting all A’s, then I’ll be stressed, and if I’m stressed, I won’t be able to do well in school, and if I don’t do well in school, then I won’t be able to go to Nationals and a crucial part of my education will be trash and MY LIFE WILL BE RUINED D:

No, keep it in California :slight_smile:

It’s not unusual for a NATIONAL contest to stay in a fixed location. Often times it’s usually in a city of more significance, such as a MAJOR city or major metropolitan area, often moving around within those boundaries.

Let’s face it, yoyo isn’t as big as we’d all like to think it is. Chico can handle big crowds for a little bit, and the day before, of and after for Nationals is pretty much sufficient for Chico to absorb and yet still have some room for more.

Also, since the National YoYo Museum is there, it just plain makes sense to have the contest nearby. A 1 minute walk from the plaza gets you to where the museum is located.

I also have the luxury of Chico being a 2 hour drive from my house, so Nationals will remain accessible to me unless I move.

Now, if it was an international contest, well, it needs to move around, and now it is.

I don’t feel like getting to Chico is all that difficult. Flying into Sacramento and then driving is kind of fun, in my opinion. It added to the mystique of the contest when I first went…I mean it’s not like it’s an exciting drive or that it’s necessarily between two “exciting” places, but it’s fun to have an adventure after you get off the airplane.

I like the idea of thing staying in fixed locations for historical reasons. I think it should stay in Chico due to the history of it being in Chico, the museum being in Chick, etc…asking it to move around is like asking the US Capitol to move around. Sure DC isn’t the center of the country anymore…but you can’t move the capitol to Denver or Kansas City or St Louis or something just because they’re more centrally located…the capitol is Washington DC.

I also think a contest in DC at the mall would be amazing, I agree with that statement completely!