why does everyone like undersized throws?

I prefer the full sized as well. I have an 888x and deitz, i believe those are considered undersize and I like them, but I feel I can do my tricks more smooth and more stable with my OD 54 or my YYJ DM2. So, I’m a full size fan, but I like the speed of an undersize.

why exactly iis the skyline so expensive ???

i prefer full size… but i keep one maybe two undersizes… and then i trade them away …

I agree with that but that’s not what I was saying. You don’t need a tiny Togo to do chopsticks with and you don’t need a large yoyo to do 1a with. Size and style don’t go hand in hand.

I’m not saying you need a tiny one for the technical stuff or a full sized for 5A. I’m just saying back when every one was doing big, showy stuff (and wearing a Re-run outfit on stage) there weren’t any undersized yoyos. Maybe it’s a chicken or the egg thing. Did people start doing tiny little tie-the-string-in-little-knots tricks because of undersize throws, or did undersized throws come about because of that kind of style? I’m just saying one had an influence on the other.

And just for the record, I like both, but I own more full sized ones.

I can’t land chopsticks, unless I’m using my POPstar.

I prefer full size. Longer spins, more stability usually. I love throws such as my dietz tho, I’ve noticed an upswing in full size popularity tho, not undersized.

Size DOES matter.

Each player have to determine what size yoyo works for them.

I currently like and seem to play best with oversized. I also have full sized and undersized. They all have their merits, and I can do just about anything with just about anything, but I’m just about ready to break into the advanced level 1 tricks, so at this point it’s not really a big deal.

It’s all about preferences. When the player finds the proper yoyo that seems to work best for them, they’ll know. There shouldn’t be some size that we have to be using, otherwise why would they make yoyos in different sizes?

I think I found what works for me though. I like a wide width for ease of use and I just like wide widths, hehe…and I like the slightly undersized diameter…like the pro not like the 2 inch or 1.97 inch on the 888’s. The hand candy, pro, and evil yo have these qualities. Now if they could just outspin my sasquatch…that would be heaven, pro comes close though.

When the discussion includes the terms undersized, full sized and over sized how are these dichotomies defined. What exactly are the numbers where you move from under to full to over size.
I would call my DV888 undersize. My Axiom & Popstar, well they’re just little squirts smaller even than the “unders”. DMII & Raptor I think of as full. I’m thinking Northstar and Protostar would be “full” as well. I guess perhaps I am not certain my inventory includes any “overs”. How do the yoyos know what category they’re in?

Please forgive if this question has been already answered and I missed it.

practice accuracy: get undersized

practice rejections/work in small space: get oversized

midpoint: Get a fullsize

I can land chopsticks on a fiesta. I can eli’s on a popstar.

just how i practice

How does a fiesta fit I between yor thumb and pointer?

It does.

I just took my Aquarius out real fast since it’s a bit bigger than a Fiesta. I can’t do chopsticks stuff yet, not enough skill, but I can easy fit an Aquarius between my index and thumb. I can BARELY fit my Big Yo in there too.

So, I bet CarlG practices a lot, which is why he can do that. And you know what, I suggest practice to anyone a well.

However, I’ll be thrilled if I can land chopsticks stuff when the time is right for me. I’m not there yet. Someday soon I hope!

Some people prefer undersized due to comfort, as it doesn’t feel as bulky in their hands. Other prefer it due to speed. I have noticed that most undersized play faster than their full sized variations. Also, some tricks are much easier to land with a smaller yoyo, because of the string weaving and such.

Fullsized on the other hand, Usually spin longer. They also tend to be more stable, due to more weight being allocated to the rims. Also, if you are not a technical player, the full sized yoyo is easier to land tricks on.

What I think of it;
Microsize under 49 mm
Undersize between 49 - 52 mm
Midsize between 52 - 54 mm
Fullsize between 54 - 57 mm
Oversize above 57 mm

These is how I define yoyo sizing.
Correct me if I’m wrong though.

Man I have small hands! :frowning:

I like it. I am not certain specific division lines have ever been officially drawn before so who is to say this scale is wrong. It is clearly definitive and easy to use. Your addition of “Microsize” and “Midsize” categories is helpful as well. Thanks for your contribution Kristiawan.

1 Like

Haha, this discussion exactly mirrors another thread I made on a different forum a few days ago. I’ll re-post it here to get your guys’ opinion:

http://yoyoexpert.com/forums/index.php/topic,34930.0.html

Oh, and to answer the original question, I prefer oversized throws - no problems landing chopsticks on something like a Dreadnought once you put your practice in. As to why there’s so many undersized throws on the market, we’re just now clearing the advent of the undersized throws. When I first started throwing 2 and a half years ago, undersized was all the rage. Now I think the wide array of undersized throws available is mainly residual from that trend, as fullsized is definitely making a strong comeback into the mainstream.

I don’t have a favorite size. I like under size but I also like full size.